1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any sports that you find boring to watch on TV?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Mine ...

Golf and Soccer. Sure, once in a while there's a hole in one, or a really exciting shot or goal or save. But the sheer 'nothingness' going on in between those rare moments? :sleep:

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I love most sports to be honest, and can quite happily spend an entire day doing notihng other than watching sports.

However I struggle with...

American football... far too stoppy-starty.
    Motor racing (other than F1)... too samey
    Tennis (unless it's a big game at Wimbledon).. left.. right.. left.. right.. left.. right...

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    F1, most boring thing ever, could you even count the amount of times they drive around the same track?

Football (soccer) far to predictible... "and he's coming in with the tackle... and oh, what a suprise, the other player has fallen over and is cradling his ankle"

Cricket... lets face it, not a spectator sport.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Vile Blasphemer! Football rules all! :D

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is this a list of sports that we would actually watch but still find boring or does it include all sports, including those that we avoid like the plague because of how boring they are?

If the former: Golf (mostly boring but good to nap to), baseball (same only easier to nap to for some reason), American football (as Barmy correctly noted, way too much stopping and starting for my tastes).

If the latter, then in additional to the above, soccer (just MEH, most of you know my opinion on that), car racing, track and field of any kind, cricket, field hockey, curling, the vast majority of olympic sports that I cannot properly remember right now, bowling (if we're calling that a sport), billiards (if we're calling that a sport), sex (oh, wait, never mind, that's a different category, but definitely a sport). errr. yeah. There you go. :p

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are lots of boring sports: Bicycle races (tour de france etc), Darts, Motor Races, Golf, watching dmc have sex... But nascar probably tops the list. So, good for you, dmc! :p

I don't watch sports that often. Sometimes a match of football that 'matters' or is an athlete's last game. I watched last Champions League final, because it was a big game, but the main reason was that it was Van der Sar's last match. And I love that guy.

Sometimes I watch a football match and some player (used to be Dennis Bergkamp) does something absolutely wonderful. Then I wonder: How can someone not love this sport?
    If it's an American I know the answer: It's the commentators.
    Americans should not be allowed to do commentary during football matches.

British commentators add greatly to the enjoyability of a football match, though. I Love them.

7. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Most motor sports, american football, baseball, cricket (haven't seen much though), orienteering, figure skating, men's volleyball :p and most fight sports came to my mind first. I do like watching sports, but it's usually my favorite sports or an event with some kind of importance. National interests can also make a dull sport more interesting.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Golf, Snooker (defining "sports" rather loosely there, I suppose), American Football (too many breaks and I don't know the game well enough), Basketball are the ones that come to mind.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Or alternatively, it's the greatest spectator sport on the planet. The best sort of sport watching experience is parking yourself on a comfy spot on the grass bank of a great cricket ground and settling in for 5 days of test cricket drama.

1 billion Indians can't be wrong.

10. Rook Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Cricket I generally don't have a clue whats going on, nobody has ever explained it to me.

Funny thing is Harbour that I watched some of this Indian league cricket stuff and they are not wrong... for some reason their Cricket is interesting to watch. Much faster... cheerleaders... rock music in between runs, commentators who actually sound excited instead of almost whispering etc :D

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Any form of car racing. NASCAR most obviously, but I don't get into Indy car either. Also, not to sound sexist, but I find any sport that women play where there is a comparable competition for men boring to watch. Simply put, I feel watching the women compete is an inferior product (with the exception of figure skating and gymnastics - then it's the men who are inferior).

So for example we now have the women's world cup. I do not foresee watching a single match. I have a hard time getting into men's soccer, and so I don't see how I'll like women playing it. A slower, less athletic, less exciting version of something I wasn't thrilled with watching to begin with. I also don't watch women's basketball - I feel an average Division 1 men's college team could beat the WNBA champs.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The worst trouble I ever got in was at a High School girl's varsity game. I made the comment (a little too loud) that I thought I could find 5 guys who didn't know each other who could beat either team. The varsity girls didn't appreciate it at all, although they didn't take me up on the offer either. :D

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    When I was at UCLA (in law school), some of the women's team members would play pickup and, quite frankly, were completely unimpressive. There were a few who were lights-out shooters, but, if you got in their grill, they weren't strong/quick enough to drive. The front court players were just at a disadvantage because they didn't weigh as much as guys of similar height and got pushed around a lot.

Different game.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Snooker! Monty, I guess you are referring to the billiards game? Not fun to watch, but great to play if you are a shooter.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    No, snooker and pool are totally different games. snooker is infinitely harder than pool or billiards. bigger table, smaller balls, much harder angles.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have to admit, while I've played snooker, I've never played on a snooker table. So I found snooker to be somewhat easier than billiards, because on a proper snooker table, both the balls and the pockets are smaller. If you play snooker on a billiards table, you get the larger pockets.

But a bigger table is a necessary ingredient in snooker to account for the smaller pockets. With the number of balls on the table in snooker, if you didn't have the bigger table, it would be a lot easier to get hooked. (I'm speculating here - but I've always found billiards on a small table harder than a regulation table.)

17. Blades of Vanatar

Barmy,

I refer to "Billiards" as all types of "Poolish" games. My family has been in that business for over 60 years, my G-Dad opened a Brunswick Billiards dealership in the late 40's after he got back form WWII.

Billiards' tables have no pockets and range anywhere form 9-12 feet. Less balls and a more boring game."Pool" as Americn know it is the easiest of the games, as 2 pool balls can fit into a pocket with 1/8 of an inch left to go. Tables are anywhere from 6-10 feet. Pros shoot on a nine. Snooker is a much tougher game played with thinner shafted cues, smaller balls and much tighter pockets. 2 snooker balls cannot fit side by side into a pocket of a snooker table. Snooker tables range anywhre from 8-12 feet. I have even seen a converted 14 footer that was about 90 yrs old. The angles are "harder", they just require more precision as the pockets are just tighter than a pool table, but also not as dep, so if you put alot of english or pwer on a shot, it is more likeely to not drop. People who learn snooker first ussually become awesome pool players.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    All very true.

A good snooker player makes an awesome pool player, because the pockets seem so easy to hit; whereas a good pool player more often than not struggles at snooker, because it's all so much harder.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Most of us pool players feel otherwise. I have run over a hundred balls on a 7 foot bar table. Several times in fact. It is much tougher to do so on a regulation 9-footer. Getting "hooked" isn't that much of a factor when you can control the cueball. The smaller tables are usually not made to Pro specs. The biggest differences that make smaller tables easier are a) the angle of the cut out of the pockets are usually more open and b) most of the smaller bar tables are one pc slate. They usually have a different pocket cut-out that sticks out a litle more into the playing field, allowing the balls to drop that much easier. Side pockets for example are generally tougher than a corner, but experienced players will go after a side-pocket shot on a small bar table that they wouldn't otherwise shoot on a 9-foot Professional Table.

20. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Cricket and baseball I don't understand and don't care to. I don't like darts, horses or dog racing. American Football would be great if they actually played but watching an empty green field because the broadcaster has run out of ads to show isn't good.

I've begun to like golf more but I mainly watch while reading or on the laptop. I wouldn't devote myself to it.

While I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, I find myself fascinated by lawn bowls if I see it on.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.