1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Duke Nukem Forever Thread

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Taluntain, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So, after a dozen+ years, was it worth the wait? I know a few of you are already playing it so spill the beans. Some screenshots wouldn't hurt either.

2. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

My copy for the PC version is still in the mail. But the reviews have been mostly negative it would seem, especially for the Xbox 360 version. Maybe the expectations were a bit too high for some and they expected some kind of miracle game...

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That tends to happen when you develop a game for 14 years. Or rather, that's what most people's guess would probably be - I don't think there's another game in existence that's been in development anywhere near as long.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Finished it. Eight hours.

It's not the most horrible game ever, but boy does it not reach the status of a good game.

The main problem is that it's fairly bland - other than the offensiveness, and it seems to be as offensive as you can get without leaving M rating.

But still, gameplay-wise it's a visually unclear linear shooter with 2 weapons and regenerating shields. Gameplay-wise it's a worse Halo. Except the corridors are more interesting... but also harder to figure out. A minimap would sure help.

It occasionally bugs out, but never did I experience a bug sending me more than one checkpoint back.

Writing-wise they seem to be going for the "offensively juvenile" mark... and fail to make it actually funny alongside that.

Overall, if you must play it, then do - it's a perfectly functional game. It's just not a good game.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I will buy it when the price is down. Not because I like it, just for old times sake. "The Duke" was the first FPS I thoroughly enjoyed.

I had played Wolfenstein, Heretic and Hexen and eventually Doom but the Duke was just by far the funnest of them all. Then I discovered more interesting stuff like BG.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I am going to buy it when the price drop too. For the same reason as Ragusa. Nostalgic reasons.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Arstechnica has given a review.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    Can't really say I was much of a fan of the whole "let's make the level so big you can easily get lost in it!" idea. It really was easy to get lost and/or disoriented and backtracking across large levels was just a PITA.

Of course, corridoring is another extreme which I probably wouldn't like much either.

Oddly enough, I enjoy exploring large levels in CRPGs but I don't remember it being fun in Duke Nukem 3D. But then again, that was so long ago it feels like another life, I may be misremembering... :lol:

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have no idea what they were doing all those years. It's pretty poor to be honest. The graphics look very out-dated too, but I guess that's what you get when you take so long to make a game. It's occasionally funny, but that's about it.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The classic Duke had so many epically funny one liners ... my favourite was and still is: "No one steals our chicks and lives". Still cracks me up.

11. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I finally had enough spare time to play this beast. It was pretty much what I expected it to be, which was not much. To summarize it in one short sentence: An average FPS with a lot of Duke. The only real disappointment was the soundtrack which I expected more from, but as with everything with the game, it too was only average. Hopefully Gearbox software can come up with a properly good Duke game in the future as they now have the rights.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.