1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thief woes

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Koki, May 19, 2011.

1. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've been planning to replay the saga again with Trilogy, going duo - Charname and Imoen(possibly Sarevok in ToB).

And I've got everything more or less planned out up until BG2, because when Immy gets kidnapped I'm left without a Thief. And I find a Thief essential.

I assume I can gather the 25k(or was it 15k?) Gold(though any tips about which quests to do/not do are welcome), but what comes next? I don't remember this part of the game too well, but I think you attack Bodhi's lair with the thieves. Are there any traps or locked chests there? If yes, does the area change pre/after Underdark so I will miss out on loot if I don't get it first time around?

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    There's a trapped chest in the lower area with Ashen Scales armor and a +2 Katana. I don't think any other containers are locked and/or trapped.

And yes, the area changes after the Underdark.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yoshimo is an excellent thief (bounty hunter) and taking him along really adds to the story. He makes a very effective companion until you rescue Imoen. You collect him in the first dungeon of BG2.

Which quests you do is really dependant on your class and what equipment you want. I would recommend your character's stronghold quest at the very least. You may want to hold off on most of the quests until after you rescue Imoen (you can take as long as you want before going to the elves) so she can also gain experience with you -- she will only be 12th level when she rejoins.

4. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31

The Mae Var quest is good for 10K right off the bat and it's not too hard. Raeric Gaethras is always the biggest challenge. T2 makes a good point about Yoshimo, and taking him to Spellhold fits the continuity of the story.

5. Koki Gems: 5/31

Uh, thanks for the Yoshimo tip, but that's not how solo/duo works.

So all the containers are rendered empty? Or get new loot?

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Some get new loot, others are rendered empty. For example, if you don't grab the Mace of Disruption +1 in Chapter 3, you won't get it.

BTW - I missed this the first time. You only need to gather 15K gold.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have played solo and understand the concept ... duo is a watered down version of it though, if you're already bastardizing the concept taking one partner during the disappearance of another is not much of a variation. Based on the two posts above the options are limited and you're main character needs to be a thief.

8. Koki Gems: 5/31

So it seems... thanks.

9. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

From what I've read in this thread, perhaps you're just not ready to undertake a solo adventure. You should try the game with a party without a thief to find new tactics to use when you don't have one. That should help you to choose which class you'd like to be.

Also, just playing it again will help you familiarize yourself with the game. This will make your solo adventure much easier.

10. Koki Gems: 5/31

I finished the game multiple times both with party and solo(FMT and Swashbuckler/Fighter). That's not really an issue here.

I just wanted to try something new and make "all-bhaal" party(charname, Imoen, maybe Sarevok in ToB) for mostly roleplaying reasons(i.e. whenever you introduce yourself in the game you say "party" which makes no sense when you're alone).

But at the same time I'm a chronic minmaxer so leaving some items behind or springing a trap which could be disarmed for 1000XP is out of the question.

Back to the drawing board. Maybe I'll come with a good roleplaying reason to get Yoshimo. I really don't want to make a Thief again.

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    There are multiple role playing reasons to take someone -- if you're a fighter, it makes sense to take Nalia for a bit as she gives you her keep (with the added bonus of dumping the brat in Spellhold). You have to take Cernd (unless you're a druid) to resolve one quest and Valygar to resolve another (granted, you can just stuff his body in a bag).

The location of Yoshimo is suspicious, he tries to give a good reason why he's there but it just doesn't quite add up. When you run into him again (assuming you did not take him out) his continued interest makes him a likely candidate to have information you need ... which ultimately proves to be true.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As an aside, that seems to be a rather odd combination. What does a Swashbuckler give you that being a Fighter doesn't? I think it would have made more sense to pick any of the other theif kits, or (as I would probably have elected) pick a kit for your fighter half if getting 25 thief points instead of 15 or 20 per level up was important to you.

A little nitpicky, but you don't absolutely need Cernd - Jaheira works just as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.