1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Phobias

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, May 7, 2011.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Have any?

I discovered at a young age I have a dose of claustrophobia. I'm 'ok' with a tight, or busy space, so long as I can get out if I want to. If I get the feeling of being trapped I panic like hell.

Needles. I hate the damn things. I'm not sure this is a phobia, as I don't pass out or anything if I see a needle, but I just can't stand to see them 'go in'. If a scene comes on the telly like that I have to look away.

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Chalk one up for claustrophobia. When I was a kid I got trapped in a lift that broke down (An elevator, for the yanks).

I haven't been in one since.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Crocodiles\aligators.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Seriously? That's got to be one heck of a handicap... so do you just not go into any tall buildings or do you just take 20 flights of stairs if need be?

I don't think I have any actual phobias but unsecured heights make me really uncomfortable... as in platforms or any high spots without a fence or anything to grip while looking around. I don't think that that's a phobia though - more like common sense in a potentially very dangerous situation.

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm not good with heights either. I fell off a 2nd story roof when I was a kid and broke my arm. Since then, if I'm in a high place I have this weird feeling that something is trying to pull me over the edge. I love to challenge that fear, because I know it's somewhat irrational.

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Arachnophobia here. Not too severe though. Don't mind the smaller ones, but the larger ones (relatively speaking, we don't really have any large spiders in Denmark) must die on sight :p.

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I took my boys for a walk on a trail near our house the other day, and we saw a Big Arse Tarantula just off the trail in some brush. It was pretty cool. We let it live. :)

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I have a pretty sever case of Tomophobia, thats an irrational fear of surgical operations, but for me it goes deeper, pretty much to any medical treatment.

9. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, I highly doubt I could muster the courage to attempt to kill a Tarantula :p.

10. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    If I HAVE to go into them, I take the stairs. Generally I avoid the situation, though.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have an irrational fear of meeting David Hasselhoff while he's in drag.

Seriously I really don't know of any "phobias" I have. I don't like needles, prefer not to be on fire and have a healthy respect for anything that can eat me. But I don't think those are phobias.

12. nunsbane

nunsbane

Claustrophobia.

I cannot be confined. As a gradeschooler (8-9-10?) , before I knew much about phobias, I had the grand idea that the neighborhood kids and myself should see if we could all fit into a large doghouse located in a neigbor's yard. My idea--I went in first. Soon, the doghouse was packed and i was trapped in the back corner. I experienced a headache that felt as if my head would explode, altered vision, dialated time passage...life and death desperation. I yelled for everyone to vacate ----get out, get out, get out....the last individual crawling from the dog house was assisted by my left hand on their butt literally tossing them from the exit(from the rear their feet flew from the opening).

I found the experience to be utterly puzzling and thoroughly instructional. Even as an adult I cannot will myself past this irrational fear....a standard MRI is out of the question.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

+1 for me.

14. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    On the plus side, taking the stairs is generally good excercise.

I don't mind needles, except if they put them in my ears, cause that tends to hurt lots.

Aside from that I'm not too fond of heights. Like Tal, it's mostly unsecured heights. Ladders make me highly uncomfortable, especially if they're very steep. On the other hand, I can climb into trees far higher than any ladder I've ever tried and don't mind it one bit. Jumped out of an airplane once too, and that was actually quite ok. From 4 km up everything just looks so small and doesn't trigger any apprehension or anything. I imagine bungy jumping would be a lot scarier than parachuting from an airplane. I've yet to try it ;)

Also uncomfortable in dark water, i.e. water with poor visibility. It's ok in clear water, but we don't have much of that around here outside of swimming pools. Of course I don't let that stop me from swimming in it, but especially in the beginning it tends to make me quite uncomfortable. Once I get used to it, it's ok, though.

15. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I have a fear of heights-which maybe being part of a family trip to Yosemite a real interesting experience for me.

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I hate bees and wasps. Irrationally so.

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Water, well specifically lakes, large rivers, the ocean and such. I almost drown while canoeing when I was 14. The Irony is I live in an island, meh I don't mind bridges. Boat though, if only they could remain stable. I also avoid canoe like the plague.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe you should learn to swim?

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I have an irrational fear of heights - but like Tal, it's only when I'm exposed. I don't freak out looking out the window of a high building or anything like that. Roller coasters freak me out though.

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would have thought that’d lead more to a fear of crowds, not heights. :p

Anyway, no real phobias here. I credit that to the fact that I decided long ago to never, ever leave my house for the rest of my life.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.