1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Osama is Dead

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, May 2, 2011.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Probably a wise thing to do.

2. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Yes he had to pay, but it should have been handled quietly, alot of the world had moved on, others believed he was already dead, some even believed he never existed. With such a delicate situation with the psychos who support him, a secret operation would have been more prudent.

yes you can, his body was never independently identified, the DNA test was carried out by the US millitary and the pictures were taken by the same, but, its the west who love conspiracy theories, the fanatics will believe he's with his vergins in eternal paridise as a reward for destroying infidels.

Silvery likes this.
  3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I don't think so. For one, considering his notoriety and impact, it could probably not have been done quietly, and everybody would have known it was the Americans anyway. Then, for all the trouble he caused, and for all the effects of 9/11 lingering on (the Afghanistan war, most prominently), it needed some, for lack of a better word, closure.

The benefits of now perhaps - and this is a great and rare chance - being able to deal with Afghanistan and Middle East policy rationally probably greatly outweigh the disadvantages like reminding the folks who already hate the US anyway to hate the US.

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    A workmate put this on my facebook today:

[​IMG]

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, it was secret enough that afaik the Pakistani didn't know about it :) . Also, I think Al-Jazeera blew the lid off the story - there's little point keeping quiet about it when it's already in the open.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    OH, NO!!! The birthers have found a new Cause!. Let the internet bloggers and their "investigations" begin.

Do you believe me now, Shaman? :)

So who gives a damn?

For those who think that all this should have been kept a big secret by the government, because people don't need to know what's really going on: Take heart, Richard Nixon still lives! He and Elvis have a beach house. At least that's the internet rumor.....

Your moment of Zen

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/w...f-zen---sarah-palin-dismisses-internet-rumors

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  7. Daisuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

First off Chandos, I feel a bit insulted to be compared to those "people", and I use the term looser than a $0.05 hooker. Though I'm willing to believe that you meant that in jest. I certainly hope so, since you're one of the few people I really respect in the alleys.

Secondly, when it comes to crap like this, I consider the US government to be an unreliable source of information at best, and a bunch of corrupt liars at worst.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, of course it was a jest. Just as I did not take your comment to mean that you actually wanted to "see" the DNA for yourself and have the body paraded through EVERY "city and town." I took it to mean that you wanted to just see some evidence. However, it's not a big leap to see where making this into a conspiracy will eventually lead that political portion of partisans.

9. Daisuke Gems: 1/31

Good to know, but I really was being serious with my comment, as that would just about be the only thing that would truly convince me after the past decade of political ******** that has been going on.

Of course there is what I would like to see and there is what will really happen. I know and accept that. The reality of it being that the government will bury any evidence in a hole so deep that we'd likely find Hoffa before we find said evidence.

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    All the world that isn't the US? :lol:

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Daisuke - ...And especially with the current media, which was the ironic portion of Palin's remarks, because she was "right" at the center of those comments. And there is much we will never really know about this matter, such as "why was BL living so close to a military camp and training center, just outside the capital? and how is that the local gvoernment was clueless about what was going on at the "compound." And, there were many retired military officials living nearby? Sounds like a lot of strange instances of government "incompetence."

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think this is the most interesting thing about the whole story. There is no way those in charge didn't know about this compound, and they probably built it for him and protected him. Can't wait to see how this plays out in public, though I expect anything meaningful will be done in private.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't really care about Osama. He was only a figurehead since 9/11 and really hasn't been able to do much in operations. The requirement to remain hidden ensured the organization became more diverse with independant factions fully capable of inflicting massive casualties. The deaths of lieutenants, while not as satisfying to the US population, have been much more effective at crippling operations.

Still, the majority of Americans (for that matter people throughout the world in general) do not understand his limited role and they will celebrate, believing a huge threat is gone. Facebook is being filled with such naive sentiments.

Daisuke: The desire to have Osama paraded from town to town may be strong in many people, but is ultimately misguided. I do understand the sentiment but the real issue is such a show would be a violation of basic islamic beliefs and cause even more retaliation against US citizens abroad. The quick burial was necessary to keep within customs, although turning the body over to family might have been a better move on our part. I'm fairly certain DNA evidence was preserved and their will be several verifications by multiple sources of the identification.

14. Daisuke Gems: 1/31

Yeah, not the best choice of words on my part, I admit. And I feel ashamed that I had forgotten that for a moment.

But as I said before, I don't consider any information coming straight from government sources to be entirely truthful, if at all. As for the DNA "evidence", this is inherently unreliable as we have nothing to compare it to. It could be, and in my opinion probably is, DNA from some dead person they decided to harvest for all we know.

And I'm going to stop right now before I make myself look like an even bigger conspiracy nut...

15. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Al Jazeera also reported that the US invasion of Iraq was failing.

Denying things is somthing which governments do best, who could prove that Bin Laden was even dead, when your soldiers have taken and dumped the body bin the sea?

thats narrowminded, Im sure plenty of people will give a damn if his supporters carry out a series of reprisal attacks.

The US doesnt have good relations with Pakistan, it has been suggested that Bin Laden wasnt killed at that compound, and the fact that the body was so hastily disposed of was so that noone could prove it, in effort to give the US diplomatic power over pakistan if they deicde accuse Pakistan of harbouring him.

apparently the US government knew he was there since august last year.... what took so long? I find it very strange that the millitary didnt react instantly to intelligence relating to the position of the worlds most wanted man.

that DNA evidence could be from any point in history.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jingo should be compulsory reading for everyone, that and Small Gods.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Death certificate or it didn't happen. :p

By the way, I seriously doubt that they got rid of the body. If they've got half a brain among them, they transported the body somewhere safe until they can 100% prove that it really was Bin Laden. Getting rid of the body before that would have been insane. Any blood samples or DNA evidence collected could be inconclusive, lost, tainted or whatever - far too big a risk in a case like this.

Again, if they were smart, the only thing that they buried at sea was his turban. That's what I'd do, anyway.

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Talk about it!

Like they weren't going to attack us anyway? Right. Besides, not bringing someone justice because of fear of "reprisal" is not only cowardly, but only invites more of the same in the long run.

I don't believe it has been "disposed" of. That could be nothing more than just PR. A bait and switch would be a more realistic deception on the government's part, and keeping some sort of insurance would be more in its interest.

19. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I read that they got a near 100% DNA match, and an ID from one of his wives. Top on the list of people who needed to die was Osama. Sure, there's likely to be some attempts at revenge, but that's not really anything new.

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They preserved DNA evidence and took extensive photographs of the body before prepping it for burial according to Muslim traditions (classy move, that). Evidently they are actively debating whether or not it is necessary to release the photos to the public. My bet is they will eventually. The reason for the burial at sea is so that his grave does not become a shrine.

This is a great day for our country and our soldiers around the world. I don't expect anyone outside of America or Pakistan to react to this news with much feeling, which is fine - but don't disparage us for our jubilation. This is huge, and it was handled extremely well in nearly every respect. And yes, Obama deserves to be applauded for this. It was his mission, his kill order, his watch.

Gaear and War Nerve like this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.