1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: POLL: Best NPC

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Register, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    As reply to Earl Grey´s bad mushroom thing
    I voted for Minsc (and BOO!!, Ass, you forgot BOO)

In Holland we don´t eat them, we make tea of or just smoke it(?!?) :D :D

2. Saruman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I voted for Minsc :D
    Kivan is great too, but Minsc has Boo:)

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @RiverWynd
    Read the topic again, it says:
    It's pretty clear that this topic is intended to be about the most powerful NPC.

Many people either misunderstood the topic or they - mistakenly - actually believe Minsc to be the most powerful NPC. This is a good example of how a poll can be good for getting a general opinion while failing to produce the truth.
    To get the best information about the the sun you ask an astronomer, not person trying to get a tan. :p

[ September 08, 2002, 19:36: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

4. Saruman Gems: 3/31

I ment that I like both, Minsc and Kivan and I couldn't make my choice, so I voted for Minsc because of Boo:)

5. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I suppose I shall vote for that most beautiful of dark elves, Viconia the Cleric of Shar.

(I will make no comment on the fact that Minsc is one of the funniest fighters, but he truly sucks in the actual gameplay.)

[ September 09, 2002, 18:35: Message edited by: Slith ]

6. Drake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] What about those NPCs from the group combat training area, they seem pretty impressive. The thief (Deder) has insane stealth, the Invoker mage (Mordaine) with the Ring of Wizardry is a force to be reckoned with, and the Dwarven fighter (Arkanis) has 39 HP at level 2! And since you get them in Candlekeep, you can build them any way you want...

Has anyone played through the whole game with them?

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I wonder what happens when you meet Deder and Arkanis

Spoiler!!

In the Candlekeep tombs, while they are still in you´re party

(Now that, my friends, is a multiplication bug!!)

[ September 11, 2002, 16:29: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The best NPC, eh? I'm just going to have to say Kagain because of his Constitution of 20. Reason? You never need to heal him throughout the whole game. All you need to do is rest once and he's completely healed. His strenght isn't great, but once you get to Baldur's Gate you can get the Gaunlets of Ogre Power and he's set. The only time the enemies get hard is after Baldur's Gate(the city).

9. Saruman Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] ok, I tested ALL NPCs now...I guess that I like Edwin the most and that Minsc truly sucks :rolleyes:
    I found myself a great neutral party (you'll say that it's weird because of the alignments, but I like it:)):
    Me: Dwarven true neutral fighter
    Ajantis-lawful good
    Imoen-neutral good
    Kivan-chaotic good
    Edwin-lawful evil
    Viconia-neutral evil

10. User Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Im playing with a neatrual party as well. This is my party:

Me: Figther(6) dual to druid(10) (As good as any figther and with druidspells)
    Shar Teel(8) (The good thing about the low con is that she can where claw of Kazgaroth and she is way better than Kivan)
    Kagian(8) (Now he's got a con of 21 and regenerates fast)
    Yeslick(7/7)(I use him as a handtohand figther with cleric spells)
    Conan(7/8)(Picklocks 105%, Pickpocket 93% and stealth 127%, conan is a better archer than Kivan and he's a thief as well)
    Imoen: thief 5 dual to Enchanter 9 (Traps 100% and have many hitpoints for a mage.)

I can't think of a better party (everyone have lot's of hitpoint and it's very allround)

11. Elementus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I like Minsc (and boo) I picked him not because he is funny, its the fact that he serves my party well. I am a magic user most of the time and minsc makes a good tank for my style of combat. His ability to go berserk makes him a good last resort when I am out of spells and on defense.

12. Sunshine Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Coran is simply the best NPC, he has the best archer's stats :cool: , a charming personality :love: and a very nice voice, and while wearing Drizzt's armor he can still use thief's abilities (which develop very quickly, so we don't have to worry about his low find traps stats in the begining).
    Too bad, we can't have him in the party in BG2, (and maybe missile proficiency is not that important in BG2), but anyway in BG1 Coran rules! :thumb:

13. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I like Imoen, Kivan and Khalid best.

Who's voting Minsc? Mad! :p

14. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well obviously people vote Minsc because he has the most story and personality behind him. He talks to a hamster becuase he thinks it's a magic talking miniature giant space hamster for God's sake. If that isn't CHARACTER I don't know what is. If you were going to force the topic into most useful NPC Minsc would never get as many votes, but they would still be up there because of the Boo factor. I didn't like the fact that you had to play with him and Dynaheir or else you would be dancing around the way the game was made (cheating.) Personally I don't think any of the NPC's in the game were good enough to warrant a "best" vote. So I'll stick to my class of choice and say Ajantis(i'm not acctually voting though).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.