1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Age of Empires II & Windows 7

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

So I love this game to bits and figured I'd start playing it again, although as we are all aware, Windows 7 and older games do not mix very well. A LOT of people are having trouble getting this game to work on Windows 7 (64bit) ie, Unable to install, colours all wrong, various bugs etc.

My problem however, is that the game won't load. When I double click the exe it says it's loading and then just stops. I was able to install it fine and patched it after the first few times that it didn't work, however that doesn't fix anything.

I've read a lot about how you can run it windowed mode or disable explorer, but most of those things haven't really done anything. Was hoping a few people here had felt my pain with something of this nature and would be able to help me :)

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I think I had the same problem on Vista, but got it working. Did you try setting the compatibility mode? Run it as administrator?

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Yep, it just hangs there saying it's loading. Then when the loading screen goes away nothing happens.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I also am a big fan of AoE II. I find I have to run it in a weaker Graphic setting to play in Win7. Never had the load issue though...

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What did your name used to be??

6. Fly2tHeSkY

I read how most people are getting the colour problem, although that seems easily fixed so I WISH I only had to deal with that :( I did a little more reading on the subject, it seems directX is wayyyyy overpowered and thus the game is unable to start. I was told a fresh windows install and then downloading one of the older versions of directX would work... I only heard that from one source so I don't really want to have to do all of that just in case it turns out to be crap. Does anyone else have any ideas??

@ Barmy: http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=747472#post747472

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That's a link to the SPS private forum, only SPS account holders can see it.
    Fly2tHeSkY used to be Silvershield. It was also mentioned in one of the topics in Sorcerous Sundries, the Hello thread I believe.

I haven't tried AoE on Vista or 7 yet but I know AoM you had to change your resolution to match that of the game - when the game was open you could then change it in the system settings so it could run properly. I also disable visual themes and with AoE you may have to revert to different colour settings as well in the application shortcut.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't see that, but cheers 8yoofs. It's been doing my head in!

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Yeah the only thing I haven't tried is a fresh install of Windows and then installing a REALLY old version of DirectX (5 or 6). I really don't want to have to go through all of that though..

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Hmm, I think 8's comment on changing the resolution rings a bell. Have you tried manually setting the resolution to 1024x768?

11. Fly2tHeSkY

How so? I remember being able to do that IN game, although I can't even get into it :cry:

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If changing your desktop resolution didn't make the game run, I doubt that alterring the shortcut to change the game resolution will.

The generic shortcut for alterring resolution via shortcut is "-height XXX -width XXX" after the "C:bad:\Folder\Folder\Folder\Game.exe" thingmabob. (May require an = between the command and the variable)

Other than that adding "-w" instead can force the game into windowed mode on startup which might address the issue.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Ohhh, nah changing the resolution didn't work which what was I was hoping for :(

Windowed mode didn't work EITHER so it's not looking good..

14. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Yeah the -w command doesnt always works considering i would of loved it for a few games but adding it to the shortcut didnt work at all. I am currently unsure as to way its not working. As for the messed up colors that has to deal with microsoft removing a certain setting from windows 7 thats the older ones had. There were people working on getting the colors back for older games such as diablo 1. sence it currently has the messed up colors on windows 7.

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Aoe II : C works on Win XP, Direct X 9c ... you dont really need a reallly old version of Direct X then.
    Is that a problem with 64bit only or 32 bit as well?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.