1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I, uh, just impulse purchased Starcraft.

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Drew, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I know, it's old and obsolete, but so is my laptop. I got the warchest, so all the expansions are there (I think). Anything I should know before I install this one and start a game?

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Fantastic game, you can't go wrong.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^What he said. If the graphics, which will be outdated by today's standards won't bother you, you should have a great time with it.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Enjoy! More than a decade old but still worth playing.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Quick question: Why would you buy the original when the 2nd is out, and has lots of players?

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps because his laptop is obsolete. He could still meet the requirements for CPU and RAM, but the game needs a separate video card. I can't play the game either on my laptop.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] When I get a new machine it usually spends its life being used to catch up with the previous decades releases I couldn't play on my previous one ;)

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    the first one was better

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    It was only 20 bucks and I, uh, like to play my games in order. I could run Starcraft 2 on my desktop with ease (and will eventually get around to doing exactly that), but I plan to put this one on my laptop -- my laptop runs Ubuntu, and Starcraft supposedly runs great on WINE.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It is definitely worth $20 to play through - even if you're pretty good at the game, and don't have to repeat too many missions because you fail, there's about 60 total missions between the original game and the expansion. While the early ones are relatively quick, the later ones can easily take an hour or more to complete on your first try.

If you've never played them before, I say you easily have 50 hours of gaming ahead of you to run through all the missions. You'll quickly find favorite units as you progress through the game and use them heavily. For example, siege tanks rock.

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    nothing like 36 hydralisks for taking out anything in your way

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yup - the zerg are the exception. The best unit for them is one that is acquired fairly early. I usually roll with a group of the heavy flyers (forget what they're called - not mutalisks - the ones that only attack ground units) with hydralisks as anti-air support.

And for the protoss that's easy. A group of fully loaded carriers can plow through anything. The computer AI isn't smart enough to focus fire on one target, so they just attack the closest mini-plane that's near it instead of focusing on the carriers themselves.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Fall in love with hydras in the first one, then get dissapointed when you see them in the second :(

Hoping when Heart of the Swarm comes out that they change that!!

Get a few mates and play, the computer isn't really much of a challenge in SC1. Nothin like playing LAN like the good old days.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hydras in SC2 do sick dmg but die if someone looks at them funny. I love the unit animation and sounds, it is the "essential" zerg unit. Also hoping it will get an overhaul in Swarm. Smaller, weaker, less supply and way cheaper is my hope. Zerg are supposed to swarm afterall.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Uhh, check the description: "4000 muscles compared to a Terran's 629". Bigger & faster thanks.

16. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Play your way through all of the tutorials, so you really get a feel for the different units, and their game play against everyone.

17. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

AI easy in SC1? :o I get my ass handed to me quite regularly if I fail to put up early defenses at warp speed. And even more often a while after that, when I fail to prepare for the early onslaught part two that invariably comes right before I think it's time to do something about my defenses again.

While real pros take on the AI at two to one, three to one or even five to one odds. Man, I suck at RTS.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    While I wouldn't go so far as to call it easy, I was never able to take on more than one computer unit at any given time.

19. Fly2tHeSkY

In SC2, taking on more than one computer is HARD. It's a lot easier in sc1 but obviously taking on more than one is going to be difficult.

The best way to get better is to learn build orders. Continue to play against the computer until you can do them perfectly. Once you've done that, start to branch out. You need to learn to react to your opponents every move. Learn to scout. Again and again. AND AGAIN.

20. joacqin

Media:
    I hate scouting, I always play blind. Sometimes it works wonderfully and sometimes not. I just tend to spend to much attention on my scouting and forego anything else, like actually reacting to the scouted information.

As for multiple AIs, it all depends on difficulty. Easy AIs are well, easy and so on. SC is kinda two or even three games, the campaign is one and it is great, skirmish against the AI is one and multiplayer a third. I really enjoy multiplayer in 2 something I never did in 1. I suck and I tend to leave if hte opponent is doing something I find boring but a good SC match is a helluva lot of fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.