1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My thoughts

Discussion in 'Dragon Age 2' started by Novare, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Novare Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just finished the game and thought id give my thoughts to others.

Overall a decent action title that has great graphics and great stories with the companions. The overall story is seriously lacking for a bioware title, I dont feel the grip to go from one chapter to the next to find out what happens.

The combat is a little to hack and slash altho the constant adds coming in is a nice change.

The boss battles have some nice gimmicks but overall they just have large health pools with nothing to really worry about.

I love the companions and the banter they have, it really makes you want to switch others in and out just to see what they have to say.

And now for the worst part. The ending is terrible, no answers and no clarity as to what happened. I guess they might have done this so they could make a number 3 but still I am left feeling disappointed.

Id give it a 2.5 outta 5, worth a gamefly rental or wait for a price reduction.

Just my 2 copper for whatever its worth :)

2. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I heard that Bioware is planning a full blown expansion and a few DLC to expand on Hawke and the world you explore with him or her.

3. Novare Gems: 1/31

I am sure there will be more but I just wish along the road since we are basically playing a narration with little freedom that they could have at least explained some of the main story points more. Then at least I might have felt ok with this different type of adventure.

Different meaning I am not making a character but playing an already established character.

This was a big change for bioware, some will love it others will hate it, me I just want more INFO ;)

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sounds like a reasonable synopsis Novare. I keep hearing that a lot of people don't like the ending. It will probably be a while before I get there myself, but I'm quite curious as to what all the hubbub is about there. I guess I'll find out when it's time.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I have read on the Bioware social website what the fuss is about, and after reading all the info I believe it was done for the sole purpose of releasing DLCs and an expansion. Nothing liking milking a consumers.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Interesting. Well, it's Bioware/EA's job to milk the consumer for their money. The trick is not to make it so darn obvious that that's what they're doing. It sounds like they may have woefully missed the mark on that this time. Those DLCs better have me in tears.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I heard people complaining that DAII is as short as DAO Awakening. If that was the case I would be done arleady and I'm still in act II, though close to finishing it. As for the ending in DAII, Bioware better make a good expansion that truly....

I won't finish my sentence and ruin the game for you...

8. Marceror

Media:
    Thanks for not spoiling. I would be VERY unhappy to learn the ending prematurely.

People are registering just about every complaint in the book, I guess. Best to form my own opion when I get there.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I just finished it. Time played.. just under 60 hours.

A few factors. I played on normal. I've about 5 hours of experience from DAO. There's been a lot of reloads to try different plot endings, a few to remedy past errors and some due to failed battles. I've tried to explore and loot everything possible. Oh, and without any bonus items or respeccing.
    I didn't find the ending very horrendous. It actually had a decent surprise i didn't see coming in it. It didn't really tie or wrap anything however, it actually had the feel of a prelude, or becoming of. Part of that came from Varric narrating the story to the seeker i guess. DLC's incoming.

edit:
    Now i don't know whether to go and give DAO&awakenings another shot, or have another go at DAII. What say you?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  10. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Since I haven't played DAII yet, I can't compare games.
    But I think DAO is worth of playing so give it another shot (if not now, in future). :)

11. Marceror

Media:
    Well, I'm definitely doing a second DA2 run as a different class/gender. So my vote is for another DA2. Of course, do what sounds most enjoyable.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

To me DAII is worth replaying three times tops. Once as a neutral party, one time siding the templars and another time siding with the mages.

Right now I'm playing neutral as I'm a rogue and don't want to place my sister, Bethany into any more trouble. However, my next run will be a warrior and I will side with the Templar and the final run through will be as a Mage siding with the mages.

13. Novare Gems: 1/31

I will agree that the one thing that happens in the very end I didnt forsee but the end boss wasnt a challenge, nothing was answered and all in all I thought there would be more. I got the feeling thats it? no cant be....

As for replaying I suppose you could to try some different classes but for me the game dosent have the replayability of the first.

As for how long this game is compared to the first one...I would say alot shorter and I think that is cause so many quests are all in the same area. Do most of the city quests then just 1 run thru sundermount ends em all ect. I found it real easy to group quests up even for the different city areas.

I cant give any spoilers as some arent finished but when they are would love to talk about somethings in the whole ending area that basically says "I dont care what path you choose its gonna happen this way only"

As ive said before not a horrible game but to see bioware, and mebbe them forced by the money grubbers, fall victim to the "unfinished feel" just to release some DLC or expansions hurts. IMO they used to make such epic awesome games that felt finished that sequels were a must buy!

As far as the free items and such, they are only good for a few levels then the stuff you find outshines them by alot. I see em as making the first few quests like a tutorial, and nothing wrong with that as us that have played the first one have the option not to equip em.

My 2 copper for whatever that is worth. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.