1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: POLL: Best NPC

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Register, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

well who is the best NPC... not the funniest... i think Viconia wins this one...

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 74 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: POLL: Best NPC (74 votes.)

POLL: Best NPC (Choose 1)
    * Ajantis - 1% (1)
    * Alora - 1% (1)
    * Branwen - 4% (3)
    * Coran - 8% (6)
    * Dynahier - 3% (2)
    * Edwin - 5% (4)
    * Eldoth - 0% (0)
    * Faldorn - 1% (1)
    * Garrick - 1% (1)
    * Imoen - 12% (9)
    * Jahiera - 5% (4)
    * Kagain - 3% (2)
    * Khalid - 4% (3)
    * Kivan - 7% (5)
    * Minsc - 24% (18)
    * Monteron - 1% (1)
    * Quayle - 1% (1)
    * Safnana - 0% (0)
    * Shar-Teel - 1% (1)
    * Skie - 0% (0)
    * Tiax - 3% (2)
    * Viconia - 7% (5)
    * Xan - 3% (2)
    * Xzar - 3% (2)
    * Yeslick - 0% (0)

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I voted for Kivan.

Not sure what it is really but i just think he has a cool, S.L.Jackson feel to him. His stats are pretty good and he makes a brilliant archer. Always dress him in black leather, to achieve the right effect.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Let me see... missile fire is, dare I say, overpowered in BG1.

Coran has 20 Dexterity. He is a Fighter/Thief who has Mastery (***) :eek: in Bows. :eek:
    You did notice that part about him being a thief as well, didn't you?
    :book:
    :coffee:
    :book:
    Oh, come on! What is there to think about? :D

[ September 02, 2002, 00:56: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

4. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually, I didn't likje any of the official NPcs for good party. I thought they have to much points spend on uselesses 'spelling?) STATS, at the end I created my own...

5. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Kivan; you get him early enough to customize him and advances faster Coran.

6. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@Earl Grey (tea boy)

I said he was a good archer not the best. I make a group for asthetic reasons as the game is too easy to get all the best characters.

Kivan is cool. :cool:
    Coran is a dick head. :1eye:

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Hey Sir Dargorn, you're not getting away with an "aestethic reasons" argument here! ;)
    It was best NPC, not if someone is a "dick head" :eek: or not! :)

@Shadowhunter
    You get Coran early in chapter 4, which is later than Kivan, you're right about that (which IMO is early enough). OTOH that has little to do with how good he is.
    You can probably get Coran as a F-3/T-4 and he caps out at F-6/T-7 (with TotSC it's F-7/T-8), so there's lots of room to customize his thief skills. His fighting skills need no customization. :D

@ everyone who voted Minsc!
    Yeah, I loved Minsc in BG1. To me he is like the soul of BG.
    However, he is not the best NPC! Funniest? Yes. Best? No.
    - He can only be specialized (**) which means +1 To Hit. Mastery (***) gives +3 To Hit. Huge difference. :o
    - His Dexterity is 15, so no bonus to missile fire.
    - His strength is excellent and this alone makes him worthy of inclusion in any party. But is that really enough to make him the best NPC?

[ September 04, 2002, 00:20: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

8. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Null vote. I stand fast in my opinion that there is no such thing as the best (most useful) NPC. I admit that there are a few less useful NPCs though. ;)

9. Earl Grey

[​IMG] People just keep voting Minsc, there's no stopping the crazyness! :roll: What are you guys on? You ate some bad mushroms, or what? :sick: :bang:

Ok, it's hilarious to see reason go out the window in a poll like this.
    :hippy:

Jack Nicholson, in "As Good As It Gets"

[ September 04, 2002, 00:17: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

10. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Well; maybe we all come from Greece! :p :D :eek:

11. Earl Grey

[​IMG] @Shadowhunter
    Greece? Man, that's the second time tonight I don't get what you're referring to! :confused:

Anyway, the poll results of this poll are now officially :yot: nuts!

12. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Probably the reason for everyone choosing minsc is because he's a pretty good fighter and you meet him fairly early on in the game.

I try to establish a good party early on in the game and am always reluctant to reform my party. So i kept minsc from when i found him. Plus, Boo always puts a smile on my face.

13. TheNovak Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Playing through the game again, I'm starting to realize that Minsc really does suck. I mean, for a mighty berserker, he gets his ass kicked worse than Khalid.

Ah well. I'm playing through BG1/TotSC with the same damned party I'm gonna start BG2 with. We must have a consistency!

14. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Khalid is one of the best NPC's so don't kick Minsc just because he's not as good as Khalid.
    The reason Khalid is so good are these:
    - He can get Grand Mastery (*****) since he is a Fighter.
    - Dexterity 16 means he gets some bonuses to both AC and missile attacks.
    - Constitution 17 gives him a lot of HP's, only Kagain, who is evil, can get more HP's.
    - Strength 15 is not so impressive, but since you'll want to give the Gauntlets of Ogre Power to a fighter anyway, give them to Khalid and you have one heck of a warrior. (Str 18/00, Dex 16, Con 17, Grand Mastery)
    I usually get rid of Jaheira and keep Khalid.

With Coran, Khalid and Kivan you've got an excellent fighting section.

15. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Don't remember reading anything about grand mastery (*****) in the manual. Thought the best you could have was commonal garden mastery (***).

Enlighten me. :confused:

16. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Check your manual again - bottom of page 94 in my manual, but page number might differ.

edited:
    Another thing which shows how flawed the voting is here is that Shar-Teel hasn't got a single vote. Yet she is clearly superior to Minsc as a warrior!
    (Potential Grand Mastery, Str 18/58, Dex 17)

[ September 05, 2002, 17:57: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

17. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Coran is an awesome NPC and probably the best. Edwin is the best mage in all the games...he is even better than your own created mage...no way to pass him.

18. RiverWynd Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ok u all are tlking about who is the most powerful NPC..not necessarily the best...the best NPC would be the one thats adds the most enjoyment to the game...not fighting ability..and we all know who makes thes games...oh yeah...its minsc and the giant miniture space hampster boo...see his fury..its small, so look close...

19. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

It seems to me that the only main people who are used in BGI are: Minsc, Kivan, and Edwin. This game is a little biased towards fighters. For example, no one in their right mind would take Eldoth or Garrick (different story if bards had more special abilities). Also, characters like Skie and Alora are nearly worthless - they're good, but you get them too late!

20. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I voted for Kivan. I used him more than once in my many adventures through BG/TotSC. Don't know what's up, but I enjoy using rangers. He's sick with a bow, no doubt there. But I mainly used him as a melee attacker wielding a halberd. I gave him as many potions of Constitution as I could get my hands on and he was all good.

Those potions work well with Shar-Teel too, but I only used her once in BG/Tales. It's been awhile, literally years since I used her, but it seems she is the best melee fighter in the game.

Totally off topic, but I did use Shar-Teel in The Darkest Day (ToB compatible of course) and she rocked. Not only did she do mass damage per hit, she also led my whole party in total kills not long after I brought her into my party. My main character, a Drow Ranger dual wielding swords was in 2nd place by the end of the game, slightly under 200 total kills behind her. I fell in love with her after that 'romp', so I just started a game of BG (no Tales, I cracked the disk :( ) to kill time before I buy IWD2, and I plan on using Shar-Teel again to test out how good she is at earlier levels.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.