1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Am I the Only One?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It was only $450.00. Mrs. Chandos had ordered me an Epiphone, which I sent back because of the poor workmanship, but it sounded pretty nice. I've been really happy with the Tele.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blackout-Telecaster-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=H61568

Here's more

Listening to him, I think he plays with a little too much high-end, at least for my taste. I liked the Tone King's sound overall a bit better. I don't have Marshalls, so I can't quite get that sound. But the sound I'm getting is not as nasally as the other guy's [I'm playing through Fender 12s]; it's still bright, but it's bit smoother.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm the same way with TV. Haven't completed a single episode of any show for years nows. I've only just seen the small segments of the local news, and only if it's interesting.

As for music, I could spend hours watching/listening to music videos on YouTube. And when I'm out mt. biking, I've drained the juice of my iShuffle countless times already.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I listen to music through my iPod on the bus.

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Sorry for taking that out of context, and chances are that you didn't mean it like this, but whenever people say that no good music is made nowadays, all I keep thinking is: dude, you're not looking good enough. There is a lot of great music being made almost every day, but the majority of people will probably just never hear of it, since it stays mostly underground and people don't bother looking for it. Although occasionally something interesting pops up in the pop charts. I must admit that I quite like Adele :)

But I listen to music as much as possible. I mostly listen to music on the way to my university (two times 1.5 hours of audio goodness each day :)) and very often while I'm at home. I like making music (I play saxophone) and when I'm not listening to music I like treating my mind's ear to a song that is stuck in my head.

As for the intelligence of music: I find that in general intelligent people are much more involved in music than less intelligent people. I noticed a lot of professors at my university are audiophiles and my sax teacher believes that the best improvisers are in general the smartest people. I think that less intelligent people tend to settle for music that is presented to them and less actively pursue music. (Yay for generalizing :1eye:)

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I felt I should add that even though I had to return that particular Epi, I've had good luck with them in the past. The Firebird has been a good instrument for me over the last several years and the quality is very good. According to the serial # this one was made in South Korea.

[​IMG]

I also like the tuners:

[​IMG]

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?media/2224

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Does it go to 11?

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Of course. ;)

Check it out:

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmmm... really? Less intelligent people... Could it possibly be that they have active lives in other areas and don't have the time for musical pursuits due too more important matters? For ex. raising your family, pursuing a career, etc.. music is NOT a necessity in todays society, it's a luxury.

When I go home tonight from work, I would love to crank up some Led Zep, or relax to Cream or sit back and enjoy Pearl Jam or Elton John, but instead I will probably have Barney & Friends playing on the tube instead for my little ones or I will be putting a puzzle together with them or possibly playing in the yard. I might even listen to some children's music with them.

Life's path takes you down roads that music is not always a part of. Those of us who listen to little music are less intelligent? Not a chance. It's because we have less time to spend on reflection and the need for constant action in our lives.

Chandos the Red likes this.
  9. Camel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't think thats what he said, Blades. He's talking about people who play musical instruments, perhaps.
    He mentions Audiophiles, which I myself are amongst, because I will only listen to music reproduced on high-end equipment. Although the word is a bit out of context in his post, as audiophile doesn't mean "someone who loves music" or "listens to a lot of music".

And Gaear is apparently sorry for someone not pertaining to this thread. And because he isn't addicted to some musical background noise.

Chandros has no idea what I'm talking about, good for him!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Not my point.
    And no.

Not listening to music is not a sign of stupidity, I was merely pointing out that the biggest audiophiles I've met generally have decent educations. And also that they tend to listen to less mainstream music, while others tend settle for anything that is presented to them on tv or in the pub, not really exploring music any further. But I'm over generalizing, I know it.

And good on you that you have a family etc, music isn't the most important thing in life. But I just know if I were in your place, if the kids were in bed and the misses turned in early, I would grab my headphones and blast a little bit of music.

Oh, and nobody enjoys Elton John :p

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, well speaking of "no idea...."

Then...

In that case, maybe you should just consider buying yourself some better equipment. ;)

12. Camel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm really not sure what you're getting at, but I'll respond to the best of my ability.

Taken from wiki:
    You do drink alcohol don't you? Yes, probably, most people do. Is it good for you? No, it isn't.

I was merely trying to convey my experience, where as having spent a lot of time with music (as most do/have done), I now actually prefer silence.

13. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Well, in this case...

Sorry, I couldn't resist :p.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    BOC - Rock On :)

No, you did fine. Why would anyone who prefers silence spend thousands of dollars on audio equipment? My point was that I know audiophiles who would rather not listen to anything, unless it was played back on really fine audio gear. I thought maybe that was your issue.

Only when I'm awake. No, seriously, I don't drink no more...but I don't drink no less....:grin:

Some more than others:

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Oh, hells no. I wasn't talking about listening to music in my home. Not only do I rarely have time for that, even if I did, I'd much rather spend that time doing other things. I was talking about listening to music while doing something else - like driving to or from work. In fact, if I were to listen to music somewhere other than my car, it would have to be on my computer, and it would sound terrible. You see, I don't even OWN a stereo or CD player, other than the one in my car.

16. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    @Blades, just for context on the intelligence question, I believe the sequence went something like this:

• Camel said he didn't think that listening to music was intelligent;
    • I said that I thought there were different forms of intelligence;
    • Mesmero said he thought that intelligent people were more involved with music.
    :)

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Gaear,

I get it. I would of added more to my last post but due to time contstraints from RL, I didn't get a chance to elaborate. I don't necessarily disagree that intelligent people are involved in music. But most of those that I grew up with that wanted to be musicians, whether they were relatives, school mates, friends, neighbors or whoever, were definitely not of the intelligent side of the population. Most were burnouts, wannabes or just trying to be "cool". Those of the intelligent side usually went on to other things as life dictates. But I am only referring to those who wanted to play or be someone. Those fans of music that are more into the music itself, listeners per se, not necessarily great musicians themselves, but those who appreciate the sound and harmonies, they are usually of a more intelligent stock.

Think Ozzy and tell me were he falls on the intelligence scale....:D

18. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Since you mention that, it sort of ties into what I was alluding to ealier. Ozzy might not be the best example (I never cared for his music so much, personally, and he's probably been damaged by heavy drug use), but to use him anyway ... he may not be able to add 2 + 2 or speak a coherant sentence, but on the other hand he can do something that most other people can't. Does that mean that he's stupid but creative? Or is creativity another (albeit different) form of intelligence, making him 'smart' in his own way? And are non-creative people then stupid in their own way, even if they're advanced in other intellectual areas? What about creative thinking as applies to problem-solving instead of the arts - are those people extra smart or just creative and possibly stupid otherwise?

It sounds kind of silly written out like that, but I think those are actually valid and interesting questions. In general (not pointing the finger at you or anyone else), I get the feeling that people may often paint with too fine a brush when it comes to defining intelligence, tending to limit it to the more measurable and quantifiable areas. e.g., if you did well academically in school, which allowed you to get a job that pays well, you are smart. But is the unheard musical genius who composes symphonies in his spare time while not working at his minimum wage job necessarily stupid?

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blasphemy! :p

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Sounds like a lot of people I knew who went into sports while I was growing up. But just because there are a portion of morons who go into sports, I would never suggest the same thing of all people who watch, or like sports. Far from it, since there are many well-educated people who like sports, despite some of the characters who have been sports stars. Want to speak of Ozzy? How about we mention OJ? BTW, I don't watch sports at all. But I bet that many who don't have time for music, have the time for sports. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO. It is a matter of personal choice and has nothing to do with "intelligence." It seems odd to me that we have even had this as an issue.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.