1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Am I the Only One?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I may be only person that doesn't listen to music. In the car, I listen to sports talk or news radio. I don't have music playing while I work, workout, or when I'm on the computer. I haven't purchased a music CD in over 10 years. Does this make me excessively wierd?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I rarely listen to music either. Talk radio mostly in the car, though music when it's boring. I do have a CD player in the car. However, my alarm clock wakes me to music for all of a couple of seconds every morning. :)

4. Camel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

No, I think its a sign of intelligence actually. Music is just unnecessary noise, clogging up your ears/brain with meaningless impulses. Its just silly.

I very rarely listen to music myself.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I'm the same way about TV; I rarely watch it. I do watch a few things on the internet, like the Daily Show, The Colbert Report, MSNBC, etc. That's about it. There are many shows I've never seen and for instance this Charlie Sheen guy? Never saw his show. I have no idea what the big deal is, or what he's ranting about [not that he has any idea either]. But I certainly would not put down anyone for watching TV. To each his own.

As for music, absolutely. I listen to 4 or 5 recordings a day, including while working on the PC, my Zen while I'm laying in bed at night, or shopping, doctor's office, whatever. And I puchase, on average, 5 - 10 CDs a month. I also watch DVD concerts on my big screen and through my 5.1 home theater system. Rock, Blues, Classical, Jazz; I like pretty much everything. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    My wife was the person who actually pointed it out to me - that I don't listen to music. I really never noticed. We got on the topic because she likes American Idol, and I couldn't care less.

I am also like Chandos in that I'm not a big TV watcher either, with the exception of sports. Right now is kind of like a dead time of year for TV for me. My two favorite sports are football and baseball, and neither of them are currently playing. College hoops is ramping up to its big time of year, but the pros are still weeks away from anything terribly exciting going on. (Sorry, I can't get amped up over which team will be 7th and 8th seeds, and the rest we already know who's in an who's out.)

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I listen to music in spurts -- for a few weeks I listen to music all the time, then for another few I listen to almost none.

I like TV shows, and with my PVR I can get the stuff I want. But I only like certain things -- usually police procedurals and the occasional sitcom (though not 2.5 Men, I watched one episode and said "these guys are douches") as well as UFC events (though at $50 a pop I only get the really interesting PPV ones, othewise I wait a few months and watch the fight on Spike)

I like some talk radio, and I listen to an ex-girlfriend who is on the air, despite the fact that it pisses off my Sweetie.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is one of the unintentionally funny posts I've seen on here in ages.

Without music, life would be a mistake.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You are odd, yes. But we knew that already, didn't we?

I think it's one of humankind's distinguishing characteristics that, in every society that I've ever heard about, we make music. We may do it badly (if any of you value your ears and sanity, you will never come near me when I am singing), or well, but we do it en masse -- whether banging rocks and sticks or more formally.

For me, I generally listen to music in the car, whether radio or MP3 -- my car is a two ton Ipod apparently (although now that my commute time has dropped to a combined 15 minutes morning and evening, that's not so much), I listen to it at home. I listen to it at work (I like Pandora), I go to concerts. I sometimes play it as well, although since an unknown subcontractor stole my better electric guitar last year, that has slacked, as I haven't gotten all that jazzed up about playing acoustic.

As for TV, there I'm abnormal compared to most. I watch basketball, some parts of the majors in tennis and golf, and House. I will sometimes watch Bones reruns.

That's it. No reality TV of any kind.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Well label me a thickie then :p I listen to music as often as I can - my mind races constantly and it's one of the few things that stops it.

I'd rather not get migraines and have a chance to think clearly than be intelligent I guess ;)

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I used to go, but atm, they are too expensive for our budget. It's like $100 just to park a car, let alone the high cost of tickets.

Sorry to hear that, DMC. I would think insurance would cover it. I try to play everyday, on either my drum kit, or guitar. In fact, I'm getting ready to do a practice session in just a few minutes....

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sorry, wasn't clear about the concerts. I rarely go to rock concerts any more (although I am going to make an exception and see Rush this June up at Universal). My wife's a classical pianist, so we have her concerts (mostly chamber music), as well as similar things that are a lot more affordable.

Plus we put on a charity concert in my house every year for our local school with teachers and parents. Before anyone scoffs, understand that there are many professional musicians whose kids go to my local school. We have former rock guitarists, drummers, songwriters and pianists, etc. It's a top flight effort every year and we cram over 100 people into our living room (we built it for concerts).

So, as you can see, my house is very musical. My son plays piano (although with all of his other activities, that has really slacked) and my daughter plays violin extremely well -- perfect pitch and good music genes that I am sure she got from my wife.

In fact, I'm the slacker in the family in that I only hack around on guitar and can sometimes go months without touching it. (I tend bar at the concerts in my house -- I know my strengths.)

CtR - the guitar was only worth roughly $1000, which, with the deductible and the inevitable insurance review of premiums, means it's not worth making a claim. I have been delighting in taking it out of the contractor's hide . . .

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I never stated nor implied that my oddity was going to come as any sort of revelation to the community.

14. Camel Gems: 4/31

Haha :) I can see how that may seem funny with that quote from an respected philosopher, and all. But in all seriousness, I don't think listening to music is intelligent, like I'm sure Mr. Friedrich would have voted for. Considering how absorbed he apparently was with music, I guess it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

I guess what I was trying to say in my first post, was that most music you hear around is mostly unwanted garbage, and frankly I don't see (or hear) the attraction of listening to music any more.
    If I do it has to be a real high-end stereo system, but even then its very rare. I like to listen to other things, like birds or general surroundings. Of course I don't sit and "bird listen" or anything, but when I do hear birds I appreciate them :)

15. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I genuinely pity anyone who doesn't understand or hasn't experienced the aesthetic value that music has to offer. It must be like seeing the world in black and white: no big deal to you if you've never seen color, but a tragedy to anyone who has.

Incidentally, I suspect that intelligence has typically been very narrowly defined, with brainpower (whatever that is) and IQ and what have you normally getting the nod in that department. But there are other forms, including creative intelligence. I bet that Beethoven had ten times the amount of cerebral activity going on in his head while composing that Stephen Hawking has.

16. Camel Gems: 4/31

Actually classical is very nice, its one of the few things I listen to these days. But I suspect that interest will dissipate as well, eventually.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    DMC - That's very cool. I like classical music as well.

DMC - That's very cool. I like classical music as well. Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor is a favorite of mine. Still sorry about your guitar. If it was fairly old, fine guitars actually increase in value over time, espcially Gibsons.

My lastest guitar is a Fender Telecaster Blacktop. It's built at the Fender plant in Mexico and the workmanship is pretty nice for a fairly inexpensive guitar. And the sound is sweet. A review by The Tone King, check it out:

Yep. Those are Humbuckers on a Tele. This one is mine [candy apple red, of course] :)

[​IMG]

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?media/2221

I completely agree, especially with music's close connection to other art forms, such as literature.

And that's fine for you. I have no idea what you "hear around," since you are very vague in your comments. Have fun with your birds. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Aldeth,

Look in the mirror and punch yourself in the face, several times. That would make you weird. Not listening to music doesn't. You're fine dude. I haven't bought a CD in about 10 years as well. I hate most of the new crap anyway. Of course, downloading music is the sign of the times now so who does, except for collectors...

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You can't beat a CD still I find :) Even if you just end up ripping it and listening to the actual disk sparsely.

20. dmc

Media:
    CtR - that's a sweet looking and sounding guitar. What did yours cost?

I'm getting the itch and I might go to my local guitar store to check it out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.