1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cursing in your second language...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    ...is high comedy in my opinion. I don't know if anyone else has any experience with this, but it's about the funniest thing you will hear. I know this one Indian guy who tries to curse, but he always confuses terms, and it's actually funnier than what the real curse would be in the situation.

My two personal favorites are: "mother-s----er" and "oh my f---"

Freaking hysterical.

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm tempted to learn a second language just to swear with.

3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Sounds like Samir from Office Space - "... son of an ass!"

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It is easy when your first language is not English.

Office Space was on Tv last week. Just a must to watch.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Ever seen Bad Boys? (it might be Bad Boys II actually). There is a scene in a 7-11 where the Indian store clerk thinks the two main characters are robbing him, pulls out a gun, and yells, "MOTHERBIT**ES!!!" Hilarious.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe! I watched that one too. I enjoyed it, especially Samir and all the typical frustrating, reptative stuff that comes with a regular desk job ("Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment.")

I heard a french guy calling someone names, mixing two curses up: "Moederjong! Hoerenneuker!"
    That would be something like: "Son-of-a-mother! B*tchf**ker!"

And I heard some woman say "Lik dat ding maar in mijn reet", what would translate to something like "Kiss that thing up my @$$"
    That was weird. I'm always visualizing things. This was disturbing...

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I frequently swear in three languages. Finnish, Swedish and English. The first two come pretty much naturally while English is more because of popular culture. The F word is pretty much the only word I use from my English vocabulary though since most other things would just sound silly. In Finnish I use frequently the V-word, the S-word and the J word, although the J word is more or less "god help me" but is oddly still considered swearing around here, it must have been considered blasphemy originally I suppose. The S word is basically Satan and the V means basically the female reproductive organ but is used much in the same sense as the F-word and considered the foulest swearword in the language really.

In Swedish my swearing vocabulary use is basically the same sort as in Finnish but I only swear in Swedish in running dialog and almost never as an exclamation since I find the Finnish words to be somewhat more forceful for that.

And yes, I generally swear waaay too much, but tone it down depending on company.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I've been reading Terry Pratchet's Diskworld series and I'm thinking of adopting some of the Nac Mac Feegle swears: "Crivens!" "Get oot o' here ye wee scuggan!"

My wife likes "Oh, waily, waily!"

Not sure that counts, though.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The English have no need for a second language. Even when on holiday, there is no need for us to make any effort to learn the local language. We just point at stuff and talk a bit louder. If they still don't understand us, we smash the place up, secure in the knowledge that we tried our best,

10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ohhh. Sounds very much like your signature. :D

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From Johnny Dangerously: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy cork-soakers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

One of my students was using the phone on my desk to deal with an obnoxious telephone company that he no longer wanted to do business with. He became very angry and said "I will <f> you!"

I almost wet myself laughing. I gave him a bit of tutoring on the fine art of swearing in English as well as swearing in public settings.

In other news, it is possible to swear in Japanese and I know a few but it's tough for me to do effectively. But I do on special occasions.

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Uh, except the F-word which is frequently used I prefer swearing in my own tongue. There's entire web pages dedicated to french canadian swearing, seriously, tourist from France, Belgium, Switzerland, and all the other francophone speaking countries wants to learn our swears, it's an art really. Ask Triactus or DotW.

I'm slightly not sober I might be inclined to give a quick course if asked :lol:

14. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: Like at the Amsterdam Red Light District. You can pick them right out.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's hysterical - the part about just talking louder - like if they don't understand your language it will suddenly become clear if you just say it louder.

16. Manjuu Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Since I pretty much grew up with English next to Norwegian, I consider it a mother tongue as well. Fortunately, I've taken the time to study Japanese, so it's become my second language. Swearing in Japanese is fun - the insults sound so awesome, especially since I'm female and I'm using "masculine Japanese" when swearing. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.