1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Infidelity

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gaear, Feb 7, 2011.

?

The Infidelity Poll

1. I know of married men who have cheated on their wives with other women

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. I know of married men who have cheated on their wives with other men

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. I know of married women who have cheated on their husbands with other men

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  4. I know of married women who have cheated on their husbands with other women

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. I know of straight men who have cheated on their girlfriends with other women

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  6. I know of straight men who have cheated on their girlfriends with other men

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. I know of straight women who have cheated on their boyfriends with other men

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. I know of straight women who have cheated on their boyfriends with other women

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  9. I know of gay men who have cheated on their boyfriends with other men

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  10. I know of gay men who have cheated on their boyfriends with women

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  11. I know of gay women who have cheated on their girlfriends with other women

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  12. I know of gay women who have cheated on their girlfriends with men

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    She was probably just upset that she had been carded before she was let in.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Nobody ever wants to check your ID if you're in a wheelchair, whenever I walk into a place I always get checked though :skeptic: Maybe a set of wheels adds years to your appearance.

If people are stupid enough to ask "How old do you think I am?" "How do I look?" as pick ups rather than sincerely then it's purely an excersize in creativity in your part followed by a rigorous bout of speed training.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well yeah - that's what I said - that you cannot get into such a situation accidentally. So it would be a conscious decision. I don't think I'd ever do that. But here's why I don't know if I'd tell her if I did. I consider infidelity worse than lying. So... if I was willing to do the first, then lying to get out of it would seem like small potatoes by comparison.

The correct answer to that question (at least from my experience) is "at least 21".

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's an easy one. If you're not interested, always add 20 yrs. The look you get will be priceless. If you're interested, the proper response should be" How about I buy you another drink.":)

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nope. My girl is a puncher.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hopefully she takes her rings off first.

7. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

What about un-committed persons who had affairs with people they know are committed. I know a lady who got pregnant by a man she knows was already engaged. Good thing for her was that the guy broke the engagement and married her instead. Basically, she stole him from someone. And she's not the only woman I know who stole a man from another woman.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There isn't a man that was "stolen" who didn't want to be....

Same goes for women, they don't just get "stolen" either.

9. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

T2B, I guess you've never heard of "shotgun weddings" or "arranged marriages".

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

In Western society at least, we don't have many arranged marriages or shotgun weddings. I would also opine that many shotgun marriages don't tend to last in today's Western cultures. Now in the Middle East and India, probably Its a different story.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Those aren't "stolen". And someone having an affair to "violate the prenuptual contract" is an active participant -- as I said, no one is "stolen" that doesn't want to be.

On a related note, we actually arranged have turret one guns on the Missouri lowered during a wedding ceremony. The groom was standing in front of the muzzle of the center gun (16" diameter bore) -- it was the biggest shotgun wedding in history.

12. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Was she deliberately trying to get pregnant in order to compel the guy to switch to her? That's a risky move these days, as there's no guarantee that anybody will do the 'right thing.' People often exit extramarital/extra-committed-relationship affairs with the same recklessness and lack of consideration with which they entered them.

I'm not so sure about that, at least in the context of unplanned pregnancies. A guy might be up for a fling with little consideration, but that doesn't mean he's ready to invest fully if nature runs its course. Guys like that often find themselves in situations where they're not necessarily complicit. This may not meet the definition of theft (stealing the guy), so to speak, but the guy doesn't necessarily want the outcome either. All he may have wanted was some action on the side, not a new child and the demise of his marriage/engagement/what-have-you.

13. koliva Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

"Hey, I didn't wanna say anything, but now that you brought it up..."

14. T2Bruno

Media:
    "... no, your thighs make you look fat. That just looks like a tent covering them."

You only get to say that once though.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You steal a thing. Or you steal someone who hasn't the strength to escape you (kidnapping). People with moral agency (the ability to choose their actions and take responsibility for the consequences that arise therefrom) cannot be "stolen" in this context.

For example, I am married to a wonderful woman named Samantha. Now, let's indulge a fantasy and say that some beautiful 20 year old woman with a figure of 44DD/22/32 comes up to me and says "LKD, I'm here for the one and only purpose of making your life wonderful. I'll screw your socks off on a nightly basis, and I'm open to 3, 4 or even 10 ways. I'm rich, and you'll never have to work again -- we'll spend our entire lives travelling all around the world. I'm also an accomplished gourmet chef and will cook a different meal for you every night of our lives together. You'l have 8 sports cars, a yacht, your own private Lear jet, and a credit card that never sends bills. Plus a Wii! Come with me, LKD, and experience bliss that lasts forever!"

Now, questioning her taste is not the purpose of this post, so all of you shut up! My point is that if I choose to go with her, I have made a choice. I made it. No one forced me, and this chick didn't drug me. It is a weak willed, pathetic man (or woman) who says "Oh, I had no choice in the matter!"

And as for the person being left, it is totally lacking in logic for her to say "she STOLE my husband." That puts the blame on her and leaves me with a pass on accepting responsibility for my own actions. I understand that people in love don't want to face the possibility of their honey-bun choosing to bail, and so they lay the blame on the interloper, but IMHO it's just as weak-willed and pathetic.

Reminds me of the song "Jolene" by Dolly Parton (speaking of huge plots of land!) wherein she sings:

The first time I heard that song I was thinking "holy crap, Dolly, why do you WANT someone who so clearly wants to be with someone else? Have some self respect, woman!"

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's just not the way it works with most women in my experience... love's just not rational or logical in most instances. There aren't a number of proverbs about love being blind for no reason. Maybe it happens more often with women, but men are no strangers to it either. When you're really deeply in love, you aren't capable of seeing your partner realistically, with all (or even most) of their faults. You see what you want to see. In such cases, it's obvious that your idolized partner can never be really guilty of infidelity, it's always the sole fault of the evil, envious witch/bastard who stole your partner. Admitting to yourself that your love was a skank (of a male or female persuasion) would be infinitely more painful than blaming it on someone else.

Gaear likes this.
  17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I wouldn't say that when you're deeply in love you don't see faults in the other person. I can very happily point out the faults in Kev (and myself :p) and still love him truly despite and because of them.

If a relationship is in a stage where you're somehow convinced the other person does not have any faults, then to me that speaks more on either the other person isn't all that well known or the person not seeing faults has had reason to convince themselves the faults don't exist - either as a personal issue or denial of some sort.

Admittedly I have had issue with home-wrecking-hussies ;) but never from a '***** stole my man' perspective. It *does* take two to screw up, and that's a minimum number.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I said most women... not all, obviously.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.