1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling - 114

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I'm benevolently indifferent towards my town's football club. So they won? Good for them! And despite having been on the ropes and back 0:2 goals? That's almost heroic. And against 1. FC Bayern München? Even better.

'Der FC' (there really is just one) really needed a win, and so I think it's good they got it. It will make many people here far happier than me. It's at times really disheartening to see how the clubs performance (or lack thereof) drags down the mood of the fans (who are famous for their persistence despite suffering).

I and a couple friends are already preparing for carnival parade (which is very late this year) on March 7th, and so I spent the time during the match doing some light carpentry and painting our parade trailer with some of the less football enthusiastic carnivalists. They got their hands on a surplus army trailer and we are turning it into something roughly along these lines:

[​IMG]

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I work in the province of North Brabant. Being a Hollander(In this context not Dutchman and yes it is to complicated to explain) I care little about carnival, aka southern drinking extravaganza.

It has on major plus, Many of my co-workers here want to take time off and some cannot while we need to have a minimum of employees working. So they trade it with the summer holidays.

I hope that the weather is fine, and we will see who has complicated his/hers life 9 months from now.

3. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Who, me? :o I have no idea what you're talking about ;)

Also, I can't get drunk in (that is, until after) the parade because I'll be guarding the trailer to prevent blindly greedy grandmas and grandpas and children diving for sweets from getting under its wheels (which is a reasonable concern). Much better done sober.

And as for the weather, it is late this year, so I hope it'll be warmer. Usually it's around 2°C, windy with light rain or snow. There is the inevitable discomfort of clutching a glass with cold beer in a wet hand in cold weather :D - not to mention the discomfort of walking around in a soaked costume in cold weather. To wit: Parades last for about two to three hours, and with preparations and reparations we're out for at least eight hours. When you dress wrong, there is a great likelihood of getting sick afterwards. As a seasoned campaigner I now consciously avoid that.

Out of curiosity, being a Hollander means you're from a staunchly protestant part that has exorcised traditionally (or originally) Catholic festivities in general? I also always get comments like that from the Germans from the protestant parts.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Grating carrots is tedious work ... eating the halwa will be awesome tho :rolling:

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I live about 50 km south-west of Rotterdam, so yes.

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    If you lived 50 km north-east of Rotterdam, would grating the carrots be somehow less tedious? :p

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Have managed to get completely muddled up with C++ and Java :o

I stopped using C++ for two weeks, come back to it and *poof* am having to put my spoken language learning on hold while I try and sort out programming languages in my head. Am hoping that doesn't mean I'll have forgotten what I've learnt in gaelic and romanes but am betting it will :(

Not sure if I'm hoping this spate of forgetfulness is drug induced or not, bah!

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I thought that Holland was a province of the Nederland and thus using "Hollander" to refer to all of the people living there was incorrect. Might be religion too, I dunno, I tend to regard religions as organised superstitions bent on extracting money from its follower.

I might be wrong, but generally speaking I think atheist that come from region were Catholicism was in power are on average more negative towards the church in contrast to where Protestantism (yes, I know it's actually a lot of denomination, or whatever :p) was stronger. Mostly due to the overwhelming presence of the Roman church on the daily lives of their follower and its more strict hierarchy. For a long time, individual reading of the Bible was alien to the Roman Church, which is an integral part of most reformed church.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    There *is* a difference between Holland and Nederland. Some people, like Merlanni, just seem to forget that. :p

@8people. You can PM me if you need help :)

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hate the RMV. Massachusetts sucks - if you renew your license even a day before you're 21, they give you an under-21 license (which makes sense), which is $50. It is then $25 to get a new, horizontal one (above 21), after you get the vertical one. But, if you renew it after your birthday, your license has already expired and you have to take the road test again. So the only safe day is the day of your birthday, which no one wants to spend at the RMV.

I know how Leo Getts (played by Joe Pesci) feels... they **** you at the RMV!

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Is there a difference between Nederland and Netherlands?

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [snip] ... nevermind ... I was thinking Nether region....

:p

13. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    10 hour workday again - let's hope I didn't forget the key to the institute at home... (though there is a couch here...)

Also, muhahahaha! Free nodes at uni cluster! :D

*goes submit proteins before the physicists overrun the place*

*tries to imagine carrots in halva -> brain overloads* Oh wait, halwa... misread that.

*waves to Morgoth* : Good to be back :)

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Been filling out so many [online] forms for postgrad applications. Why are there so many? And why do I end up having to repeat information in different places? Argh, there must be a better way of organising this entire process!

15. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I think Peter Pan comes from one of them

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Decados, welcome to bearocracy, never deal with the government if you can avoid it :shake: I have to go down to the Job Centre tomorrow just to see if I can save on the hassle of having to send ID and crap all off again to have it not returned :doh:

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just spent a nice chunk of change on computer upgrades this past week. Got pair of ASUS 24" 1080P monitors and mounted them one atop the other (they were on sale and also had a rebate so they were only $150 apiece).

Then it turned out that the problem with my EVGA 7900 GT KO with the sync signals to the monitor that I was able to solve via clock frequency tweaking with a single monitor, reappeared and was unsolvable with the dual-display setup if I extended the desktop (and let's be honest why would I want dual monitors if I just wanted to duplicate the desktop onto each?)

So I went out Saturday and bought a nice new EVGA 460 GTX to drive them. Works great now! :)

18. Ragusa

Media:
    Good for you :) I'm abstractly sort of jealous now, even though with my shiny new 22" wide screen (main display) and the older 19" 4:3 side by side I am not exactly suffering either. But that shiny new GPU of yours is iirc one or two entire generations ahead of mine :aww:

19. Merlanni

Media:
    Like most nations today we are made up from states that roughly are our provinces. The two most important today are North and South Holland were the bulk of the industries, people and companies are located.

I live on the south edge of South Holland. if I travel south I become Zeeuws.(Not bad, being a Zeeuw.)

The other ones are mostly made up by space and nature(what is left of it) giving those people a different look on life. Henceforth the drive for carnival in some of them.

Those provinces border on similar provinces in Belgium and Germany creating a kind of bond. Carnival for instance.

Take the USA. The state of New York has an other attitude as Alaska.

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 59 seconds later... ----------

which 460? I hope the 1 gig

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, it was not the 768MB, nor was it the 2048MB :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.