1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lack of spells

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Thomas Covenant, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Thomas Covenant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You know what, there is one thing that slightly annoys me considering spells. And that is the lack of single-enemy attacking spells. Not lack as in there aren't any, but lack as in there could have been few more of those. Past level 3, there are none single enemy, damage spells.
    Those that are: Magic Missile, Cromatic Orb, Melf's Arrow and FLame arrow.
    There are few ice spells, two attacking, Cone of cold and Ice storm, both area spells, quite unusable in the thick of fight.
    When you get higher level spells, it's either to instant kill (like flesh to stone, desintegrate, finger of death), conjurer spells, or protection/remove protection.
    What I miss is sort of Flame strike spell, but with ice flavor. There are earth and air elementals; where are earth and wind spells ?
    Seeing that there are a lot of fire enemies, how come there are so few ice spells ?

If you encounter a set of enemies, and your mage is on high level spells, it eithr stands there or kills at sight, and sometimes I have no use for emotions or malison, but I'd have use for high level, single enemy attacking spell.
    And why are there 3 flame area spells (fireball, sunfire, delayed fireball) ? Useless.

It'd be so nice to be able to drop a huge chunk of ice on someones head, don't you think so ?

2. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Single enemy damage spells can always be easily defended by high level mages while protected by spell turning or deflection in SoA. I don't know your tactics or strategy in battle, but area damaging spells are very effective and useful if you manipulate them well and wisely.

3. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm not much of a magic user ( I like TANKS), but it seems to me that the fire spells that you bring up are useful in different situations.
    Fire Ball- great for intial confrontation
    Delayed Fire Ball- Can be used in many ways, mostly as a way to regroup during a hard battle
    Sunray- For Vampires or anything that is hurt by sun light (Or so I've Been told)

Just like the previous reply, all depends on battle style.

4. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, the single enemy-attacking spells are a little primitive in SoA considering the enemy wizard's AI. The summoning spells are a lot better!

5. Thomas Covenant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes, but when fighting high level mage (lich), you are going to use other remove protection spells. And if that lich is in tight space (like one you need to kill to get daystar), you'll be better off not to use area spells.
    My style of play is tactical, agressive or passsive depending on situation or enemies.

Lets set up this scenario
    [Slight spoiler]
    When you get back Jaheira, and go to harpers building, you get attacked by 4-5 humans. Let say you have posibillity to cast 5th or 6th level spells. After killing that mage, there will be, say, a fighter and thief left. And that is the moment you'd like some attack spell that is stronger than flame arrow (although that one is really strong later on), something like Flame strike. But there are no such spells.

[end spoiler]

Druid spell Call lightning is good single-enemy attacking spell, too bad there are no many others like that one.

PS: I ment sunfire, 5th level spell, that detonates on caster and spreads out some 30' radius.

6. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

And with [ToB area effect spells edited out], despite being a area effect spells, the fact that they do *not* affect party members ranks them pretty highly. It does a pretty good amount of damage too, and can be used as easily against a single enemy as a multitude. :) And clerics have bolt of glory...
    But there could have been a couple of more powerful single-creature damage spells though...

[You just don't get it, do you? :rolleyes:] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 24, 2001).]

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well, it's indeed true that there are no good ice-spells against one person.... and there are much more fire-spells then Ice-spells... hope that will changein NWN.

8. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, why do a little damage when you can kill someone altogether? Although I hate how it takes away the loot, I love both flesh to stone and disintigrate; both very cool spells. If you throw in a greater malison, they almost always work. I wish there was some kind of spell that turned the target to ice. I'm pretty sure their equiptment isn't ruined when you turn someone to ice, so it would be even better than disintigrate/flesh to stone, not to mention amusing as hell. Anyone ever turned a dragon to stone? I'd really like to see a screen shot of that.

Also it dosen't make sense that their equiptment is ruined when you turn someone to stone. Isn't the name "FLESH to Stone"? That doesen't include metal methinks. Therefore, if you killed Neb his head should be missing, as you turned it to stone, but not his wicked little dagger.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited December 25, 2001).]

9. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ever tried robbing Neb while you have some invisibility spells on your party? He's carrying his own head around! Wonder what he's got on his neck then...

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.