1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG1 help, setting it up :(

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by cozzaa, Dec 18, 2010.

1. cozzaa Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi guys,

I hope these forums are still alive.

I have recently got out of FF11 and such. Me and the mrs have seen BG as the potential way forward. I just got the boxed 5disc CD set and I have just got BG from GoG on the other laptop.

We want to play together but I have a couple of issues:

A) I cannot for the life of me fathom how to set up multiplayer for us :( I am so frustrated been trying for hours and searching the web. I have no idea what I am doing when people start talking PC technical stuff I am afraid :( I am a proper dummy.

B) The GoG version has a random saved file with like 68 days playtime on it?? Also I am having issues with the graphics on the GoG version, the black box thing :(

I hope someone here can help and I would be really grateful.

Thanks

---------- Added 12 hours, 10 minutes and 57 seconds later... ----------

Anyonee? :(

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    The random save thing is the Mission Pack Save, every install of Tales of the Sword Coast has it.

As for the multiplayer thing, BG is notoriously difficult to get to work. I know there's a program called Hamachi that can help, though I haven't used it for a long time and I can't remember how to set it up.

I'll have a look and get back to you though :)

3. cozzaa Gems: 1/31

Mate you'd be a diamond if you could! I looked at Hachimaki thing lastnight but again, just baffles me, not clued on on the PC tech stuff :(

4. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

You install Hamachi on BOTH computers. I believe you might have to create login details. If that's the case, just create whatever for the two of you. Now pick which PC is going to host the Baldur's Gate game and which is going to join it. The host is the first PC for this description. On the first PC, after the program starts, click the "Network" tab at the top, then click "Create a new network...". This is your own private little network for the two of you. Create a name and password for it. On the second PC, start Hamachi and click the "Network" tab and then click "Join an existing network...". Type in the network name and password you just set up. Voila, you should both be in the same network. Now write down the IP address (its 4 series of numbers separated by ...) near the top of the screen for both PCs, you'll need this in a minute.

As for Baldur's Gate multiplayer, after you have Hamachi all set up, open Baldur's Gate on both PCs. One PC is going to host a game, the other is going to join the game. Be sure the protocol is set to TCP/IP. Now, the first PC is going to Create a game. Its going to prompt you for a New Game or Load Game or Mission Pack. It'll ask for a username and an optonal password; just type whatever you'd like. After you get the character abitration screen, have the second PC join the game. It's going to prompt you for the "Host Address". This is the IP address you wrote down from Hamachi for the other PC. Input that and hit "OK". It'll prompt you for a username and password, if there's no password, leave it blank. Now wait a minute as it joins the game (BG likes to make it seem like it froze, but give it a minute). Both players should appear in the Character Arbitration screen now. The host is going to have to set Permissions for the other player. If you know the rest of the players, just click all of them. One final thing, remember which PC is host so when you load the games later you know which PC they're on because only the host can save the game.

5. krasimir Gems: 1/31

Wouldn't be nice if someone actually converted BG to an online game. I played the multiplayer when it came out and it was simply awfully cumbersome.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.