1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WTF? seriously, WTF? (Final Fight)

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by schwartr, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    It is the most rediculous fight in history, by that point in the game your confident in your character, he's taken on almost anything and then along comes Sarevok... took me down a peg... or a million

2. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You should be able to leave the temple and go to the sourcerous sundries. See if you can but a Wand Of Monster summoning. It's a great help. Summon as much as you can.

But yes, this is one of the most frustrating fights in game history.

3. Shoshino

Media:
    I beat him using that sad tactic of monster summoning and sitting back with bows, its annoying.

Your character should be able to go toe to toe with Sarevok and atleast stand a chance, not have his head ripped off and shoved up his nether regions.

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

IMHO it's a sign of GOOD balancing when using poor tactics (ie. charging in recklessly) gets your arse handed to you, while a decently executed battle plan will get you through with nary a scratch.

Doing it solo and/or without magical assistance such as potions and summons, however, is only possible via foreknowledge (ie. not your first playthrough) or liberal amounts of cheese. And that's the way it's supposed to be -- it's supposed to be balanced for a party of six, using their abilities to the max.

5. Shoshino

Media:
    there's a difference between a battle plan and the cheesyness of which has to be used to win, for me, I start by fireing fireballs into the unrevealed area and then move in with monsters and arrows, it just feels sad - the protagonist should be Sarevok's equal

6. Grendel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm a little surprised at how many people seem to have had difficulty with Sarevok. I finished a plain old BG1 and TOTSC run through a few weeks back and I had no trouble withbeating him without potions (other than healing) or summons.

My PC was a bard who stood out of the way singing for most of the battle. Montaron loosed off a few arrows of biting with Korgan and Shar-Teel meting out a bit of damage, and Viconia healing them. Edwin attempted to cast a dispel on him (I can't mind if it had any effect or not now) and threw out a few magic missiles and flame arrows. That was pretty much job done, everyone made it through the battle with no bother.

The first time I got to Sarevok it took a couple of reloads, but it's far from impossible. If you're really struggling, remember you don't need to kill anyone other than Sarevok to finish the game.

7. Darius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just beat Sarevok with no cheese at all. I have a max level party consisting of my PC, who is a conjurer, Ajantis, Minsc, Jaheira, Branwen and Imoen. We just buffed up with haste, bless, chant, protection from evil 10' radius, and defensive harmony. My PC was mirror imaged as well. We entered his lair, killed Tazok, then killed Semaj and Sarevok. No summoning, no surprise fireballs, just swords and arrows. He is definitely defeatable with out cheesy tactics.

I have played BG quite a bit, so I think experience is a big factor in your success against Sarevok. It takes some practice, but you don't need to resort to cheap tactics.

Also, I beat him twice in a row, no reloads. He will fall with a good strategy and poweful characters.

8. Charleston Templar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My best weapon was Kivan the Ranger. I'd built up his skills as an Archer and added Gauntlets of Archery, +2 and Acid Arrows, etc. over the course of the game. When I fought meathead I gave Kivan a potion of speed to increase his rate of attack and he pummeled Sarevok with arrows while my bruisers worked on the body and the remainder of the party worked on him with artillery also. I think Jaheira had sling stones +2 from +3 sling and Imoen had a short bow +1 or something . Throw in as many Magic Missiles and Chromatic Orbs as you can -can't remember if I used some spells to break down his spell protections or not - probably not enough time.

9. nunsbane

nunsbane

Have a thief with a satchel full of invisibility potions drink a potion of magic shielding so that he can make all of his saving throws. Then backstab Sarevok become invisible - rinse and repeat. He usually dies in 4-5 backstabs....the final battle lasts about 60 seconds.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.