1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USB Drama

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Gaear, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Dell Inspiron 570, Windows 7 64 bit (my parents' machine) ...

4 rear USB ports
    • 1 connected to wireless mouse
    • 1 connected to keyboard
    • 1 connected to printer
    • 1 unused
    2 front USB ports
    • used as necessary for flash drives, etc.
    Issue: 2 TB Western Digital Elements external hard drive when connected to rear USB port is not detected by Windows. No yellow exclamation point in Device Manager or anything like that, just not detected. Drive's power indicator light is on. Same external hard drive when connected to front USB ports works just fine. (Also tested with a different manufacturer 500 GB hard drive; same results.)

Hard drive has its own AC power adapter, so power shouldn't be an issue. (?)

I would prefer that the cable be plugged into the rear of the PC and not the front, as I'd like to leave the front ports available for flash drives and the cable is ugly sticking out of the front.

Any ideas? I can find no sensible related info on teh interwebs, just the usual unrelated info. (Google query: "Windows 7 rear USB ports not working." Google search results: "Windows XP front USB ports now working - SOLVED!") :rolleyes:

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Does everything else work in that port? Could be because all four use the same channel like a squid which there isn't really a workaround for.

3. Gaear

Media:
    The mouse, keyboard, and printer all work fine plugged into the rear together, yes. I guess I haven't tested the 4th USB port back there with one of those devices ... maybe I should try that. ty.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  5. Gaear

Media:
    Okay, I managed to wake the system up to the fact of the drive's existence in the rear by plugging the mouse into the forth USB port, plugging the drive into the mouse's old port, and rebooting.

Thanks for the suggestions ... 8 you are a dear. :)

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] No problem, finicky USB drives have been one of the few hardware things I've managed to deal with properly :lol:

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Get a USB PCIe or PCI connector. The specific USB on the back of the machine maybe isn't working and is dead.

8. Gaear

Media:
    Thanks, but it's all working now. I'll keep that in mind though.

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You mean a simple solution?

Glad it works, but it leaves a foul taste. It should have been complicated. Oh well better luck next time.

10. Gaear

Media:
    I agree - I'm suspicious that it didn't involve registry hacks, system restore points, OS reinstallation, and motherboard replacement. Something's not right. ;)

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It sounds like your system was clearly infected with a virus during this process, and the virus makes it only "appear" that everything is working fine, when in fact, those devices that seem to be working so well are actually sending private information about the people you care about to various criminal organizations.

Now focus, because what comes next needs to be done quickly. You MUST, within 10 seconds of reading this post, grab your workstation and throw it through the nearest window. If you wait any longer than 10 seconds, the bad guys will almost certainly know that you're onto them, and let's just say you don't want that.

I'm sorry I had to be the one to break this to you. Please act FAST!

12. Gaear

Media:
    Done!

Now what?

13. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Now you need to get a new PC, silly. But don't you feel better? :)

---------- Added 1 hours, 12 minutes and 25 seconds later... ----------

By the way, I'm sure Tal would appreciate it if you purchased that new PC on NewEgg through this site!

No need to thank me Tal!

/evil

14. koliva Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A quick and dirty way to check if it's hardware-related is to boot a Linux distro and see if it behaves the same way. Just about any major distro has a live CD (see distrowatch.com).

15. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The best distro for live booting is Knoppix. Has been for a while.

16. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Not sure if this is helpful or not, but sometimes my USB ports stop working and after I restart the laptop they work again.

I know that sounds simple, and I am not patronizing you by suggesting something simple, it's just worked for me.

17. Marceror

Media:
    You guys do realize that Gaear's issue was resolved several days ago, right?

(Well, that is, it was working until he decided to toss his PC out a window, like a deranged maniac. I guess this is what too much ToEE modding will do to a person. Cryin' shame, it is)

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

It doesn't matter if the problem is fixed, we're still going to help him! This is 'Merica for Crise sake! Git ir done, no man left behind, and all that jazz.

19. Gaear

Media:
    lol, I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read "Got 'er did."

Thanks anyway. I will file all these suggestions away for safe-keeping, to be consulted later when the problem inevitably recurs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.