1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Primers and Planars and Petitioners. Oh, my!

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Allanius, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Allanius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Can someone explain how planars and primers are related? Are planars dead primers or simply primers that were born on the planes? and how do petitioners fit in? And, if Planars aren't dead primers, what are the Dustmen talking about with 'True Death'? I mean did they already have a false death?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Planars - people who live in the planes of belief.
    Primers - people who live in the prime material plane.

Petitioners - People from the Prime Material Plane who die and are reincarnated on a plane closest to their living alignment, for example a man who was completely neutral would be reborn in the outlands or Sigil, whilst a man who obsessed over laws instead of being good or evil would be reborn in Mechanus.

Dustmen believe that everyone is stuck in a vicious cycle of life, or more accurately, false life.

Dustmen believe that the reality we percieve isn't what is actually real - if this was life surely it would be wondrous? Instead there is pain, sadness and grim prospects for the future. The Dusties believe this 'life' is like a waiting room a shadow world almost that the soul clings to and constructs from lost memories of truly living, only by letting go of EVERYTHING can one reach true death - a state of non-existance.

It's like an incredibly warped view of the Bhuddist Life/Death beliefs essentially.

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's all in the RPG, tru talks with various NPC you can learn a lot.

Actually Torment is something of an epic interactive guide to the Whole Planescape Setting!

;)

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Why warped? To me, it sounds like the most central Buddhist tenet: life is suffering and only by not getting involved can one escape the cycle. Is there a Taoist philosophy in PST? I would dig that, but for now I always align myself with the Sensorium :)

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's essentially a nihilistic interpretation, the dustmen see life as nothing BUT suffering and that you must detach to reach a state of oblivion.

Buddhism focuses more on balancing yourself through the course of your life, teaching temperence as well as appreciation for life to achieve the state of nirvana, which is focused more on the collective concsious and freedom than ceasing to exist.

In my previous post I should have defined Planars and Primers as BORN more than living. It's possible to relocate but harder to shake your roots.

6. Allanius Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ok, if a primer couple moved to one of the planes (let's say Sigil) and had a child there, would that child be a planar?

7. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, but he might still be a bit clueless if the parents are ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.