1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #7

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Enagonios, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

swords of destiny series

Into the second book Runestone of Teiwas by M H Bonham. Continues the story from the the first book (Prophecy of the Swords). Good series, keeps your interest and moves right along.
    fastfritz

2. TheTallMan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Currently reading The H.P. Lovecraft Collection: The Best Weird Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft. Got it as a birthday present as Im a big fan of HP but all the works I have read of his have been borrowed or bought second hand. Its in a great leatherbound hardback and it was only £12. Has all the storys, poems, illustrations and a biography at the end. Just wish I had more time to sit down and enjoy it.

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just finished 'Oath of Fealty' Elizabeth Moons new book from the Paksennarion series. It's really good. The original trillogy was (IMO) really good and finished with the usual happy ending and tying up of loose ends. However, the new trillogy looks at how the events in the original affected the people that were 'left behind' as well as showing how some of the main characters are dealing with the consequences of the happy ending. Very clever

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Just read Sanderson's book. I agree, it did actually move the plot along and is leaving me wanting more. Wonder when the next book will be released?

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is released and I should get it tomorrow or the day after. "The tower of midnight" is the title iirc. I was very satisfied with the latest installment.

Edit: Received my copy late Wednesday afternoon I am now 600 pages into it. I know I am a total fanboy and would have wanted to read the end of this series no matter what even if it had continued along the path it went down in the middle (imo two really uninteresting parts and maybe two more who was a bit slow) but anyone who has ever gotten any entertainment out of the Wheel of Time should give it another chance and finish it off. If nothing unforeseen happens Sanderson will finish it in a year or two and he is doing a great job it is just like Jordan at its best but he also catches the less than perfect bit with Jordan and can be overly descreptive and convoluted at times. I am happy, I was trying to read a crime story I got for my birthday. I hate crime stories, they are stupid stories for stupid people (huge generalisation but come on, crime stories are stupid!) it felt like it was written for a five year old.

Anyhow, give WoT another chance lads/lasses, it may be soapy but got dammit it is EPIC soap!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  6. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

'The Clown', by Heinrich Boll. I wonder if it is pretentious to consider this book a modern answer to Leoncavallo's 'Pagliacci'.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

One thing I like about old joacqin is the fact he never hesitates to tell you exactly how he feels about something!!

ION, is Sanderson's other work any good?

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Book 13 of the wheel of time. Great so far.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sanderson's other work is ok, if you read a lot of fantasy and is looking for something to read it is definately worthwhile. Not superawesome but quite enjoyable.

I am reading the third book in Peter Hamilton's Void trilogy and I must say that even though Hamilton is SF and not fantasy I hold his work in very high esteem. It is up there with the greats and he tends to write massive books which I love. If anyone want to branch out into contemporary SF Hamilton and Alistair Reynolds are very good places to start.

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah Sanderson is good.

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yay!! I got to book 9 of War and Peace! :banana: That means I'm half way. :D

Runescarred likes this.
  12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Altought I have had it for sometime now, I just started Dust of Dreams, since The Crippled God will be released in just a few months. I didn't want to wait too long to find out how it ends. ;)

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

finished return of the crimson guard and dust of dreams.

i'm about to start the lies of locke lamora. got a tooooooon of new books, figured i'd start with this one before reading the last 2 books of the hyperion series (read the first 2 some time ago) and then starting on the prince of nothing trilogy

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

About to start The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Just finished re-reading the two Robin Hobb trilogies featuring FitzChivalry.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret" by Judy Bloom.

Tour de force.

16. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I finished A storm of Swords but i am waiting for the release of A Dance with Dragons before starting A Feast for Crows (since both novels take place at the same time, it would be nice to read one immediately after the other).

I got the first two novels of the Malazan book of the fallen for Christmas, so I just started on the Gardens of the moon. As I was warned the story and world is confusing when you first plunge into it, I made sure to read as much back info I could on the novels.

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Finished War and Peace and started Moby Dick.

18. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I've started reading the Chronicles of Amber. So far I'm on the third book, Sign of the Unicorn. That reminds me - does anyone remember what the flag of Amber looked like?

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Amber is nice. in the middle of an encyclopaedia about modern military aircraft. A lot of picture browsing.

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Currently reading "Guns of August". About one-thrid of the way through, I am captivated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.