1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weird Driving Laws

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Splunge, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I’m sure that some of these either have a logical reason behind them that aren’t immediately apparent, and others are just examples of outdated laws that nobody bothered to remove, this one seems strange:

Weird traffic laws

Maybe trying to stop rogue attempts at population control?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I like this one:

A Florida traffic law states if an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle, and San Francisco prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street unless they are on a leash.

And I just bought an elephant to help me avoid parking charges at the side of the road. Damn, maybe I'll buy a rhino instead . . .

3. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Other weird laws.

"When driving in Alabama, please remember to remove your blindfolds. You see, it's illegal to drive while blindfolded there."... hehe :D

4. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

From Splunge's link...

5. Jezgar the Red Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Media:
    In Australia

You are not aloud to leave a car (verhickelll) Idling Whist someone sit\s or leans on said vehicle if you are not in the drivers Seat. If so you could be done with driving with undue care, but if your not in the drivers seat??????

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    This could pose some problems for NASCAR ...

7. Jezgar the Red Gems: 2/31

Media:
    Hey come on ten yaer old kids are aloud to drag race.. In the right class
    Male or Female

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not so much a law as an observation/story related to obtaining a driver's license in Mexico.

My wife is originally from Mexico. When I met her she had a driver's license issued from Mexico, but didn't yet have one from California. When I met her she had NO IDEA how to drive (e.g didn't understand the concept of a lane, and was nearly just as likely to get on a road going the wrong direction as the right).

If you've ever driven in Mexico, you've probably noticed it's a bit of a free for all. Because of my wife, I understand why. Apparently all you need to obtain a driver's license in Mexico is a pulse. :p

One of the most stressful things I've ever had to do was teach my then girlfriend to drive. Really, it was an absolute nightmare. Fast forward 10+ years, and she's actually a fairly decent driver. When our kids are ready to learn to drive (God help us all), I think I'll be assigning her the duty to teach them. I figure, I've already done my time. :)

9. Jezgar the Red Gems: 2/31

Media:
    Evey female has the right to drive New Mexico New Zeland England As long as it's on the right

All women have the right to drive

Sorry Big Fella for getting of topick

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  10. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Marceror, I can imagine how stressful it was for you to teach your wife (err then girlfriend) to drive... must have been hard to run in front while waving a red flag. :grin:

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My "favorite" memory from that period was the time that she very confidently turned to get on the freeway... going the WRONG direction. I had to very quickly wrest control of the steering wheel from her and turn the car nearly a full 90 degrees from the passenger seat to prevent this. Once we were out of harm's way I had her immediately pull over, and declared the driving lesson concluded for the day.

:eek:

And now she's the mother of my children....

Shoshino likes this.
  12. Alorekent Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Weird Law

You can't drive above the speed limit, weird huh?

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The one about Beijing really doesn't surprise me. That place is hugely overpopulated. Have you seen the amount of people they cram onto trains? People are employed to literally push and force people onto the train, like cramming stuff into a suitcase. It has to be seen to be believes. If drivers were waiting for pedestrians all the time, traffic would come to a standstill.

14. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

In Ontario California anyone driving after dark had to have someone walk ahead of the car with a lantern. Try that on The main street at 50 miles an hour!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.