1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How good is the AI in this game?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ChaunceyK, Dec 24, 2010.

1. ChaunceyK Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] First, many humble thanks to those who've worked so hard on all the ToEE info found on this site. Your work is appreciated.

Now, apparently ToEE is in a slight slump over at GOG because no one has stepped up to answer this question for me over there. I hope for better result here....

I needed room for a new NPC, so naturally I killed one of my current NPCs. My party is Chaotic Neutral, it made sense...besides, better to get the XP than just dismiss him. Afterward, I ran a couple small in-town quests, went to the Inn & rested for 10 hours until evening, and the minute I went back downstairs to the main floor all hell broke loose.

At first I thought it was just a bar room brawl, so I stayed put & "Readied" my actions to see who my actual enemy was. Elmo & the Innkeeper were among those who attacked me, plus a citizen. A couple of Burne's Badgers were there too but they were fighting the "Big Fighter" and his friend from upstairs. Eventually, I figured out that everyone was simply fighting everyone. We were the last ones standing & have been dubbed "The Butchers of Homlett."

So was all this triggered during the 10 hours I was resting? Am I to assume they found the body of the NPC lying about (there were no witnesses) and figured it was me who did it? Is the AI of this game really that detailed?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Most NPCs' deaths at your hands count toward a negative rep in the game, in this case the 'Butcher of Hommlet' rep. Once you get that, every NPC who is a member of the Hommlet faction will attack you. The big fighter guy and his buddy are not in that faction, but once a fight breaks out where they are present, they may join combat anyway if they get pulled in via AoE spells, etc. Once that hapens, it's on. They are not members of the Hommlet faction, hence they are seen as enemies of it in a battle. NPCs of differing factions will generally go after one another before they go after you if you're all involved in a fight together, so the badgers and whatnot go for the big fighter and his buddy. Placing and distance are also factors.

The rep is automatic ... there is no scripting in place to consider the possibility of witnesses or no witnesses, etc. Once you kill a member (actually I think it requires two) of the Hommlet faction, you are the Butcher.

Which NPC did you kill?

3. ChaunceyK Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the quick reply!

I killed Spugnoir...he seemed most expendable. I wanted to make room for Fruella, because I want her Great Cleaver for its 17-20 crit. I also have Furnok & Zert. Its unfortunate that Elmo attacked us during the brawl, but at least we all went up to Level 2 from all the mayhem.

I am considering starting over though, since I didn't make it far into the game yet & I really wasn't expecting to slaughter everyone at the Inn. But then again, Homlett was getting very boring very quick with all the FedEx quests. For a "first town in the game" I'd have expected more practice with combat than practicing going from one section of town to the next.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The game is odd, quest wise. It still is a game you grow into with the combat being D&D. All the towns are not BG like. It is a different angle to play such a game.

5. ChaunceyK Gems: 1/31

So if I've butchered one town, will other towns be aware of this & go hostile on me if I show up?

6. Gaear

Media:
    No.

Not sure if you'e using the Co8 modpack (NC version), but it has an early level area called Welkwood Bog that is designed essentially to replace the Hommlet Fedex phase. It contains low level combat, among other things. Completing it at the start of the game will get you to around level 2, like the Hommlet Fedexing would.

7. ChaunceyK Gems: 1/31

Yes, I do have the Co8 pack installed. Is Welkwood Bog on the World Map?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. Gaear

Media:
    Yes, once you are informed of its existence.

You may want to check out the Co8 forums for more detailed info: http://www.co8.org/forum/

Note that you need the NC (new content) version of the modpack installed to get the major expansion stuff from Co8.

9. krasimir Gems: 1/31

That is mostly world design, rather than AI design.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.