1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bug fixing

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by MindChild, Jul 15, 2005.

1. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I installed it on an XP computer as well, and then just copied the successfully fixed exe file to my Vista laptop. I'm afraid that's the extent of my expertise...:(

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Are you running a 64 bit machine and have you patched IWD2?

I think that the CRC error is caused by one of the files being different from what the mod expects. This could be caused by a) not having an up to date version of IWD2, which I doubt; b) that the file it is checking is a 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit version that it is expecting; or c) that GOG has actually modified the file that the mod is checking.

3. warninig077 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If I understand correctly the mod modifies only the iwd2.exe file, right?
    I can try and install XP on a virtual drive and tray to install the mod. Will
    report back. Thanks for the tip.

4. razorjackmw Gems: 1/31

Doesn't work... Got the version from GoG, comes patched 2.01... after running crack it says:

PatchFX v1.30
    =============
    opening IWD2.exe...OK!
    performing crc-check ................. failed!

PATCH WAS NOT APPLIED!

nothing else installed, everything is in right places

5. warninig077 Gems: 1/31

Installed WinXP in VirtualBox. Fresh GOG IWD2 install.
    Comes patched to v2.01 (101615).

The mod does not work ...crc-check failed ...the same as on Win7.

Also tried an no-cd fixed IWD2.exe from GCW (v2.01 (091311)) but
    the same error shows.

Finally, I installed IWD2 from my old CD-set and it worked.
    After patching to the v2.01, the dll mod was applied, as well as
    the Level 40 XP mod and no-cd crack. As far as I tried it (start
    with a new party and toyed around with xp cheat to gain levels),
    it seems to work ok.

6. razorjackmw Gems: 1/31

so the problem is most likely incompatibility of the mod with gog version of the game? That was my hypothesis but its good to have it backed up so thanks for info. Guess I will have to keep pumping dex with my bard and use only small blades... bye bye roleplaying longsword/short sword combo :/

7. warninig077 Gems: 1/31

Yes, the GOG iwd2.exe does not work with the dll mod.

However, you can mod the iwd2.exe from the Cd version
    and apply the no-cd crack and use this modded iwd2.exe
    with the GOG version of the game.

The test I was referring to above was with the GOG IWD2
    game and the modded CD version of iwd2.exe.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  8. TS_Hawk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

would not finding an NPC that should be in a certain area and that should show up every 8 hours of game time be a bug?

9. lendial Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

sorry for the bump but i was wondering if anyone using a version of Custom DLL was able to get weapon finesse to work normally, right now its requiring me to have at least one weapon focus before letting me take weapon finesse and only that weapon will apply for WF. i have tried to set weaponfinesse=0 but all this does is make EVERY weapon type finessable!

is there a way to revert it to the vanilla version but still use the rest of the components of the custom DLL? would a clean iwd2+dll install do the trick?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. valky Gems: 1/31

Darn, and I was wondering why my bastard swords have that high AB :D
    If you set the line "NewFinesse=x" to "1" it should only apply to weapons which you have focus in, else only to dagger/small swords.
    While set to "0" it applies to every weapon even if you aren't proficient in.

Wanted to use the .dll loader only to save these skillpoints and never checked for other strange things. Maybe I'll stick to it...hmm but I usually play according the rules :O

On a sidenote, before patching *.exe files, one should do a backup everytime ^^

www.valkyries.de/iwd2.zip <- if it's legitim to link files, else a mod should delete this (officially patched iwd2.exe before applying the *dll loader)
    hope it's working for yer.

edit: uhm, the 'dll-fix' is completely messed up regarding weapon finesse. while set to 0 it works only for focus'ed weapons at all and not even small blades. Guess I'll dalekeep' my bastard swords "away" and use the Brilliant shortsword further. Feels a bit odd otherwise...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  11. lendial Gems: 4/31

Yes, the glee i experienced when i realized i could squeeze out an additional 5 BAB for my tank or 7(!) for my decoy was shortlived when i realized it didnt make sense how he was finissesing spears and great axes as a deep gnome!

it seems like its not just my version so i might have to avoid using this feat completely. i am using light of selune which makes weapon focus +1/+2 and weapon spec +2/+4 (both of which easily editable in near infinity) but i feel that 4 levels of fighter and 2 feats and limited weapon choice really constitutes such a buff. before it was +1/+0, +/+2 which i consider somewhat pitiful. however, in conjunction with this version of WF it would seem too unrealistic even for me.

12. valky Gems: 1/31

My decoy got +9 bonus (!) while using bastard swords. Too bad I can't save the skillpoints any more, but it was more or less for only 2 level - so it's negligible. That's the only reason I used the dll-mod/hack for...

But reverted it back to normal and am using the pretty nasty short sword instead from the battle square. Actually I thought it was caused by iwd-tweaks after I spent the finesse feat so I didn't gave it a second thought.
    And Light of SĂȘlune nets you some awesome Bastards swords, that's the whole reason why I spent points in there.
    Used the editor now to transfer the points to other stuff which I would have choosen instead, so I guess it's not considered cheating, only 'bug-fixing' :D

13. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

*dusts off his copy of IWD2...installs without a hitch*
    ok, whats this about weapon finesse being broken....
    *looks into code...facepalm*
    that should be fixed now, forgot to add a weapon check.

sent tal a new version.

Edit: removed megaupload (surprise surprise, file hosts were being used for illegal stuff). Also, Tal should have this updated by now since its been almost a year ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. lendial Gems: 4/31

Thank you! You have made my day, maybe even my week!

Is there a way to update this mod without doing a clean install? i tried using backuped versions of the iwd2.exe , chitinkey and dialogtlk but i get a failed cr3 and md5 check.

15. MindChild

once IWD2.EXE is patched, there is no need to patch again. to update, just replace the iwd2fixes.dll (i think thats what its called...its the dll in there anyway) with the new one...while the game is closed.

16. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Wow, finesse is fixed after all this time! :)

I remember this happening, I guess I must have never mentioned it.

17. lendial Gems: 4/31

Thank you again MindChild! my 6 str , 24 dex deep gnome finally feels complete.

18. MindChild

for some reason i remember fixing this previously too....then again, its been a year or so since i touched it, so i can't be sure if it was this or something else.

19. Kamose Gems: 1/31

Gog version patch?

Any chance of getting this to work with the gog.com version of the game? I read the entire thread, but it seems to me my only option is go without or use the CD. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kamose

20. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

MU links are all down. You might want to think about other services, like mediafire, for example.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.