1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bug fixing

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by MindChild, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

You edit the source code for the classkit check in strtable.cpp and recompile the dll

^_^

2. Kissaki Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmmm... Is there perhaps a difference between the US and European versions? I have the European version, which came fully patched to 2.01 on the CD, and I have not modified the .exe in any way... and I get the crc error.

I couldn't patch it with Avenger's level40 thing, either, even though I seem to meet every requirement. May I ask if the people behind this mod are using US or Euro systems?

3. Enders_Pride Gems: 1/31

? Newfeats ?

Hey MindChild, so for it looks like excellent *musthave* work for IWD2

(though to be honest i just installed it and only ran about 2 mins of play testing so far...enough to see that Druid spon-cast worked as im about to enter a normal->HoF b2b on lan with my younger brothers (their first time))

im looking forward to the multipliers for rouge and the new fineness changes the most... how ever during setup i ran across "NewFeats" and found no documentation on it...any light on the subject would be appreciated...

thanks for your mod, it looks quite promising :)

4. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] MindChild hasn't been on the Boards for ages, unfortunately:(. I asked him about the NewFeats before, and he said it was just for code testing. There are no effects if you activate or deactivate it.

5. MindChild

newfeats lets developers add new feats to the feat list (increases max # of feats and few other things). At this point, i dont believe it does anything (havent touched it in a while). if it does, there are a few files that need to be edited for it to work properly (namely feats.ids, feats.2da, and the tlk file).

i was playing with a wisdom based weapon finesse which is what it was primarily for, but without editing the game files to add the new feat, it doesnt do a thing.

6. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

You know, I don't think that the Finesse improvement has ever worked for me. I remember trying a high-DEX rogue who used spears and gave him finesse. Even with two pips in polearms (or whatever it's referred to as in IWD2), I never saw the bonus to attack.

Everything else works very nicely though. I especially love removing the favored class, since it works nicely for my Gold Dwarf Paladin/Barbarian. :)

7. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Hmmm. Acrux, I was using that Finesse tweak as well, but I never recall checking all that closely to see if it worked, or if it was showing up on the character info screens. I hope that it works, cuz it may be the tweak in Mindchild's DLL I like the most.

On a more theoretical tangent, I tend to think that DEX should be used for BAB all the time, and that STR should only be used for modifying damage, though it might be arguable that weapon finesse should allow a high DEX character to use DEX instead of STR as the damage modifier on the theory that such a character is more able to generate more damage with extremely well placed hits rather than brute force (aka STR).

As for other possible tweaks to Mindchild's DLL, I wish that the base number of stat points (before racial modifiers) could be bumped from 76 to 80. 76 stat points can seem very, very low for the more stat intensive classes, if one believes that you should be able to produce a "heroic" character with the base number of stat points without extreme min-maxing.

8. Acrux Gems: 8/31

Veteran

I know at one point there was a push to have WotC add "Greater Finesse" as an official feat. If I recall correctly, it required a BAB+6 and the Finesse Feat, and allowed the character to switch DEX for STR damage modifiers. Obviously, that never happened in the books, but if I was ever in a PnP game, it's something I'd definitely use.

9. MindChild

I just tested with the spear from the starting area and 12 str 18 dex. with the spear it gives me +6, with the staff i get +2 ... seems to be working alright for me... Which spear were you using, perhaps its not REALLY considered a spear by the game?

I'll see what i can find this weekend...though you should be able to just add +1 to all stats for all races as a dirty hack... ;)
    edit: after some digging....Black Isle did this for us! lol
    in icewind.ini, under [Game Options] there are 2 undocumented options...
    DefaultCharGenPointsPool
    and
    DefaultCharGenPoints

so... the first (the pool) sets how many points you have available (default 16). so if you set this to 20, new chars are generated with 20 available spending points.
    the second sets the default value for all stats, so if its set to 12, all stats start at 12 instead of 10.

MindChild

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  10. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Oo, shiny!

Good find on the options. So it boils down to how much of a restrain one is willing to put for oneself, instead of just falling to the lure of doing 100+ point characters every time.. ;)

18 points allows for four totally maxed and two tanked stats, 20 does the same even for Deep Gnomes, since they can only relieve 5 points from CHA.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You're damn right that is an nice find Mindchild, Kudos! I never liked the base 76 points for every character system, though the Keeper let's you change it. 76 points makes every play thru seem to have eerily similar characters. I was playing around with last night, creating a party with varying ability point totals. It's adds a little flair. I created a Pally as party leader with 86 points and a Wizard with only 66. Fun times...:)

Is it possible to create a Rolling generator to create ability scores, like the other infinity games or ToEE? Or to create the option of using either of the ability score systems, like ToEE?

12. MindChild

possible? yes. probable...not soon.

I havent yet delved into the graphics code which is whats required generally for buttons and the like. however...feel free to roll REAL dice :p
    *takes out d20s*

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That would be d6's for Character creation...;) ... Yahtzee!

It would be an nice option, but in no way necessary. Pipedreams on my part.:)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  14. MindChild

you may use d6s, but im a masochist and like rolling 1s :p
    and with a d20, you can potentially make a godly hero...or a leper...

15. Acrux Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Do you know whether it's possible to have a more fine-tuned adjustment of ECL other than on/off? I'd really like to use this component of the mod to adjust some races manually (like Aasimar and Tiefling have +0, but Drow have +1, etc.)? I've looked in the 2DA files and found a few places that looked promising to adjust, but my in-game tests didn't show any effect.

Also, any way to turn off or adjust the 20% mutliclass penalty (other than by using the "No favored class" component?

16. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Actually, "no favored class" doesn't necessarily remove the multiclassing penalty if you have more than two different classes, and there are character builds where having a specific one is actually better than if it was "any". For example, Tiefling Druid/Bard that wants to broaden its skill selection can take 1 level of rogue without causing exp penalties, while a Human couldn't.

17. Acrux Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Exactly, which is why I'm wondering if there's a way to make it more customizable.

Also, I noticed that STRTXP.2DA needs to be updated when the "No ECL" component is turned on. Currently, a drow or other advanced ECL character will start with the XP amount they would usually have without the setting turned on (for example, an Aasimar will start with 2000 xp and a Drow starts with 5000 xp).

18. warninig077 Gems: 1/31

I like this mod very much and have used in on my previous plays.

However, recently I bought the GOG version of Icewind Dale 2 and
    this mod does not work ...when trying to install I get the CRC failed
    error.

Level 40 XP patch works ok with the GOG version. Can the CustomDLL
    mod be modified so that the GOG version will work also.

19. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Perhaps you have a new computer? I found that Vista and Windows 7 sometimes won't allow this kind of commandprompt-exe files to run...:(

20. warninig077 Gems: 1/31

Yes, I have windows 7. Is there any alternative way I could run the mod?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.