1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How many dental fillings do you have?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, May 27, 2010.

?

How many fillings do you have?

1. 1

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. 2

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 3

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 6

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. 7

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. 8

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  11. 11

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. 12

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. 13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 16-20

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  17. 21-25

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 26-30

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. More than 30

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  20. More than 40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. More than 50

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  22. None

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's horrible. :bad: Did they ever catch the bastard who did it?

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    :eek: Language Mr. Taluntain! /me faints in shock

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: In another thread I was just telling that I was attracted to the BoM because the admin actually managed to keep it a decent place. :D

I do agree, though, that it's horrible and the man is a bastard.

About my dental fillings:
    I had a few Suicide Teeth, filled with cyanide. At some point in my ehr... life (existance, rather) I became immune to the stuff. So I decided to get some diamond crowns. These are filled with trapped souls. I have a dashing, sparkly smile! :p

Seriously now:
    I have a lot of dental fillings (no crowns or other stuff like that). I don't know how much. I think 30 or so. I eat often and much.

4. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Just thought I'd clarify a few things (I'm just into my 4th year of dent):

-Lactose, as far as sugars go, isn't particularly implicit in decay - quite simply the more decay-causing-bacteria are less able to use it compared to other sugars eg. sucrose (what table-sugar is made of).

-Milk also contains plenty of ions such as Calcium and Phosphate which are able to help neutralise the bacterial-derived-acid ions that are implicit in tooth dissolution. Hence it has a bit of a buffering effect. Additionally Calcium and Phosphate ions are able to help re-mineralise partially dissoluted enamel structure (which is essentially calcium, phosphate and a bit of fluoride arranged in hydroxy-appetite crystals)

-Milk is also relatively neutral/less acidic than most other drinks (eg coke, fruit juice etc)

-->hence Milk is generally seen as a protective dietary factor.

Coffee isn't quite as good because of added sugar, and the fact that caffine has the capacity to reduce salivary flow (saliva helps neutralise acids and has a few protective ions also).

**you're spot on with the frequency thing - Can't really stress this enough ->you're much better eating a bag of lollies in one hit than spacing it over the course of the day. Same goes for drinks like coke -> scull em through a straw if you must, and don't ever sip on them over a few hrs.

**eating sugary stuff at a meal is also an excellent idea! -> unfortunately what most people do with their lunch box is save the chocolate bar/cake/sweets to the end of the meal. Having the slice of cheese at the end will help to clear some of the sugars adsorbed on the teeth and will help stimulate saliva.

Brushing is still very important for a few reasons:
    1-fluoride containing toothpaste -> kills bacteria/inhibits growth/helps repair demineralised tooth structure. The main reason for brushing 2x/day is for the fluoride hit.
    2-large deposits of plaque tend to favour the more anaerobic and acid/decay causing species of bacteria ->mechanical action of brushing disturbs their structure->selects for less decay-causing species.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    None! Only damage to my teeth was years back when I came off a trampoline and headbutted the ground. Snapped one of my teeth- it has been 'repaired', but still feels markedly different. Hope to avoid fillings for a while longer at the least.

Interesting post there Stu, btw.

6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I recently had all of my old silver fillings, which I've lugging around since I was 8 years old, replaced with nice pretty white ones. A few of those old fillings were hiding some not so pleasant things under them after all those years, so it's a good feeling to have all the bad stuff cleansed from my mouth. :thumb:

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Haha. Yeah, but it didn't turn out to be very lucrative. In fact, the scrooge of a dentist insisted that I pay him for the new white ones. I thought, you keep the silvers, I'll keep these bland white things, and we'll call it a day. But oh no. This guy wasn't having any of that...!

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Should've said they were platinum... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.