1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Outfitting Cernd and empowering Jaheira.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tronak el Karbaro, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have a bet with a friend which consists in finishing the game with the least wanted and weakest characters. I have chosen for this ride a wizard slayer-myself-, Jaheira, Cernd, Jan, Aerie and Nalia-to be replaced with Imoen when I reach the Asylum-But as long as now I rely too much on Jaheira and Cernd as tanks-(Well, those two are not tanks, support vehicles at best ;) I have never been in need of empowering them in order to have a balanced party . Any ideas?

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Why are you a Wizard Slayer? They are definatly NOT the weakest, they are the most powerfull class of them all. If you really need a weak class, pick the beastmaster, or a class that is very weak for your party. the Archer.

3. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What makes the wizard slayer so great? I've never played one, but they never looked too good.

What makes archers so bad? They kick ass everywhere!

4. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Wizard slayers make almost every mage battle significantly easier and are just as powerful as any regular fighter. The reason the archer would not be good with the specified party is because you would not have any tanks to soak up the damage.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jaheira among the weakest characters? :heh: Given the right equipment and enough levels, Jaheira can flatten Korgan to the ground.

Jaheira comes into her own when you can combine a belt of giant strength with the Iron Skins spell, plate armor, and a shield.

The idea behind plate mail and a shield is to allow the Ironskins to go the maximum distance.

There's also items that can let you overcome her relative weak points. For example:

The Pale Green Ioun Stone can boost her hit points.

The Gloves of Weapon Skill and such can boost her THAC0.

Items like the Ring of Fire Control, Boots of the North, and the Harper Pin (earned at the end of the Harper Quests) can absorb a lot of the elemental damage.

Go Jahiera. :thumb:

6. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

We are off topic, but I think your solution for Jaheira is costly.
    She's good with a... sling! She'll have 2 attacks/round, and those bullets hurt. Let Korgan in the melee, he likes it more.

7. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Jaheira really shines in combat with the equipment and buffs. By the time you get all of this, Lady J will be well worth it. It's tempting to consider her for the caster role, but then you're wasting her fighting abilities. Plus, in the end, Jaheira brings one BIG thing to the table that Korgan can't do: versatility.

Need some healing and Viconia's busy turning undead or healing someone else? Who ya gonna call? Big J.

Need another fighter? Mazzy getting swamped?She's the girl.

Need some big flaming critter summoned in the enemy fighter's lap? Don't want to wait for Edwin to win the mental battle? Guess who.

That pesky mage needing to be disrupted? Valygar can only hit two things with his bow: Jack and ****, and Jack just had a morale failure and ran away? Guess who's got some of the best spells for kepping a mage not casting.

In my experience, having a well equipped Jaheira is like having my very own F/M/C with better fighting abilitie, higher level spells, and without having to shuck his full plate just to start casting. Yeah, like most Druids, she takes quite a bit of investment, and she doesn't reach her full potential in SOA, but she's well worth it.

Slightly more on topic: Aerie one of the weakest? Don't get me wrong, I despise her, but she is a very potent caster at higher levels, what with both acces to all clerical as well as all arcane spells.

Jan is probably one of the better thieves (not counting Yoshimo) if only because he keeps leveling up in it. Plus, he'll also be advancing as a mage, so that's, again, access to two full classes in one character with slightly slower progression

Granted, Cernd is very weak in cambat without the Shapeshifter Rebalancing mod. He's supposed to be a very good caster though. Admittadly, I don't use him much, so I can't say.

I'd agree with Nalia being one of the weaker characters, especially compared to the alternatives: Edwin, Aerie, even Imoen.

And although I wouldn't call them the MOST powerful, Wizard Slayers are right up there with the top classes.

8. Kyiro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Might be personal opinion, but I agree with Kam on various point. Jaheira definitly makes up for pure power by being versatile, kind of a stop-gap character, very good at providing support for the party.

Aerie, well she is a double-caster so to say, and it makes her pretty darn powerful esp. at higher levels. Having certain spells availible in both Mage and Cleric spellbooks gives you a certain amount of leeway and room to experiment with which combo's of cleric/magery are most effective.

Anyhow, just some thoughts...

9. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31

I think I have to express myself more clearly. First, Wizard slayers suck. Powerful? they cannot use necklaces, gloves, rings or boots, which makes them less powerful than any other warrior kit, with the probable exception of the Beastmaster. What if they dispel spells from magi? you can do it better with a paladin wielding Carsomyr, at a lower cost.And the magic resistance percentage is lower than what can be achieved combining necklaces and rings-items not allowed for this kit-I just prefered him to Beastmaster only because I didn't intend to take any other tank around.
    Second, Jaheira is a good SUPPORT character. That's all. She doesn't make a good fighter, she is not definitely a cleric and she's only a decent Druid. So if you intend to rely on her you have to beef her up a little. And I haven't gotten almost any ideas about this issue yet-thanks, beren,I´ll work on it-.
    And I don't mean they were exactly the weakest around, being the less favored characters was another point to consider. Jaheira is your given jack-of-all-trades party member. Someone who has to be invested upon a lot of equipment in order to keep up is not a good character, is a risky bet at best.

Also, I don't believe in the common "best possible party" thinking in this forum. With a party consisting in a dual classed fighter/thief, Minsc, Aerie, Keldorn, Anomen and Nalia I am not only able to finish the game, I OVERRUN it, SOA and ToB. So, to many of you, Wizard Slayer can be top class, but Keldorn and Carsomyr beat any WS any day. And without annoying kit restrictions.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Not sure I understand the initial post.
    Jaheira, Jan and Nalia are surely not among the least used NPC's. In fact only Cernd is at the bottom.
    A Wizard Slayer, Jaheira, Cernd, Aerie, Jan and Nalia is not a weak party.

Oh please! :rolleyes:
    Wizard Slayers are not the most powerful class, they aren't even in the top-5. They certainly aren't weakest either, but don't go overboard in defending them.

11. Zenastin Gems: 5/31

I think you're missing the main point of a Wizard Slayer. Each successful strike place a cumulative chance of spellcasting failure on the mage REGARDLESS of whether or not the mage is hit during that particular casting sequence. I'll agree that they're not the most powerful class in the game -- and in many situations, a Paladin wielding Carsomyr is indeed better -- but they're nowhere near the weakness of, say, a Beastmaster, a Jester, or a Totemic Druid.

12. The Lone Badger Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you hit a wizard 3-4 times they die anyway, and their spell failure chance goes all the way up to 100%. A little more on top of that is unnecesary.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hehe :D But I don't think all that much of the wizard slayer either :/

14. Scythe Gems: 5/31

Back to the original post, surely your party is fairly well balanced. If you want to increase the difficulty try all of the same type... all fighters, or more fun, all magic users. All of them are "do-able" but each group has weaknesses which it is fun working around.

15. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

never played a wizard-slayer, never saw the up side to be honest. not with the restrictions. My Party consisted of
    Main Charter-thief
    Keldorn
    Valygar
    Jaheira
    Nalia
    Aerie
    I had no troubles finishing the game, and taking them through TOB as well. Although I did switch out Valygar for Sarevok. Sarevok whips the crap ou of people with that deathbringer assault.

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Going back to the original topic....

I think you should take what ever PC class you think will suck the most, then bring along Valygar, Cernd, Jaheria, Nalia, and later pick up Immy to replace Nalia.
    No one ever said you needed a 6 member party either, so you could leave a few out and only pick them up when you really need them. :rolling:

17. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

All of the NPC's are powerful if you play them right. Cernd just kicks ass as the only single class druid. Jahiera? She's rediculously powerful. She can take on any tank without any trouble.

Of all the NPC's, I'd say Mazzy is the least disirable since she doesn't bring any special abilities worth talking about and grand mastery in short swords is pretty much useless.

If you're taking the bottom of the barrell bunch, then do like so...

Beastmaster
    Cernd
    Mazzy
    Nalia (so she can use bows. whoop-dee-do)

That's one party I'd laugh at.

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

For a run-of-the-mill caster, maybe. For any boss character, though, spell disruption can be hideous. IIRC, you don't actually need to inflict damage to inflict the penalty - and how many times do you have to smack a mage whose Stoneskin contingency triggers just after you've run out of Breaches?

If you want to make life hard for yourself, take a Beastmaster.

[ October 12, 2004, 02:54: Message edited by: NonSequitur ]

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Take Yoshimo. He certainly won't be much help. :D

20. Scythe Gems: 5/31

That is the great thing about the NPC's... None of them suck... Used to think Haer'dalis was rubbish, but actually can be v powerful. Certainly all of the tanks are ok, and the spell casters... well they can all cast spells :) which means it doesn't really matter what their personal stats are. Even Cernd can be v powerful at the point where he can go Gtr Werewolf... So much so that you can buff him up and let him take on whole battles on his own...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.