1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling - 113

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Silvery, that is what I have been doing with vista. Just didn't know if 7 worked the same way. Like an idiot didn't think you might not know where to look. Sorry and glad 8people was there.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Wow We discussed today in class what has to be the most retarded conviction by a jury that I've seen in my life so far.

basically an haitian-american (that is someone is was born in Haiti) was convicted of drug dealing. The prosecution showed to the court a taped dialog between the alleged dealer and an undercover police officer. The dealer on tape had a typical afro-american accent, while the defendant (i.e. the haitian) spoke fluent English but with a foreign (haitian) accent . However because the defendant had previously worked with the US army in Haiti as an interpretor under " linguistic duties " the prosecutor successfully convinced the jury the defendant was a linguist and therefore was able to change his accent, mostly due to a grossly simplified and I daresay wrong definition of " Linguistic " in a dictionary.

"Linguistic is concerned with the system of sounds of language, especially sound change"

wtf ?! I'm (somewhat) a linguist, and I speak English more or less fluently but I still have an accent, and no matter how familiar I am with English's sound system I'll never be able to duplicate a convincing native accent.

I don't know when exactly this happened nor do I do any more relevant details, as it was mostly used as an example of how thing can go wrong when linguistics is wrongly applied to a court of law. Still, it's still pretty retarded to me.

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

As I do a bit of cleaning up in my bunker, I discover a 710ml can of Monster Khaos. Then a can of Guru. I thought I was dry on caffeine today... problem solved.

/fires up some stoom
    /rolls a log of fog

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I made a new variant of yeast dough today, recalling an advice that my brother gave a couple years ago and changing the recipe (which I'll keep a secret) accordingly :p It worked splendidly. The fun part is that when I just told him that on the phone, he said that it had been my own idea in the first place - if he recalls rightly I used that trick already twenty years ago, to then simply forget about it.

A good reason to write down recipes and the result of kitchen experiments, including the good ones as much as the ones that don't work.

Gee, I do feel sort of old now. Let me add that I started baking at a young age :)

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Ofelix: Some cunning linguists can sometimes lick the problem so that even those who speak the certain language as their mother tongue will be sucked in. I've seen it happen.

Montresor likes this.
  6. Ofelix

Media:
    Lick the problem ? What ? I assume this is a metaphor or an analogy, but of what, I haven't got the slightest idea.

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Iku did you actually say that sentanct out loud before you typed it? Or has my mind jusr dropped into the gutter again? :lol:

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Flix: Problem licked = problem solved. And the court case you mentioned? It does not make any sense.

@Sil: :p

9. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I can't believe I slept for 10 solid hours. I never do that! Well, back to my game. Got a deadly little f/t/sd and my coffee at hand.

10. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it! :wave:

11. Ofelix

Media:
    Thanksgiving ? That was like, a month ago, no ? Grandma's turkey was awesomely delicious :yum: too bad there's no left over.

To buy beer or not to buy beer, what should I do ? I suppose 11 AM is bit too early for alcohol. All that's left here is an half bottle of Vodka and some Gin. I think liking Gin is in my genes, apparently it was the favourite drink of my grand father, my uncle, and my great grand father. What can I say ? It's awesome :lol:

12. Spellbound

LOL - it's today! yum yum! I love this whole season - pretty colored leaves, chilling temps and wonderful decorations! I look forward to it all year. :D

13. Ofelix

Media:
    Riiiiiight, since it's colder up here the harvest season is earlier, thus thanksgiving is also earlier.

" Currently, in the United States Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November, and in Canada it is celebrated on the second Monday of October . "

- Wikipedia

I was right It was roughly a month ago, from my perspective at least. Happy Thanksgiving then !

edit: need to find a drink based on Gin, I can't possibly let that bottle collect dust in the shelf now can I ?

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  15. Spellbound

oh! Didn't realize you were Canadian! Happy T-Day one month late then! ;)

16. Ofelix

Media:
    :lol: That was hilarious, if somewhat false. le jour de merci donnant makes absolutely no sense. Grammatically sound, but still meaningless. Awesome.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Sil, Iku's mind has permanent residentship of the gutter... just like yours, just like mine...

Also just noticed WIND is selling an Alcatel phone. I am thrilled to see phones from the French company make their way in North America... heard much about them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  18. Ofelix

Media:
    Done ! I'm done with Creoles languages ! Paper's submitted. Oh well, only one other paper, two presentations and my term is over. I previously said on BOM that this one was the final one, I was mistaking :(

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    so, last night Alec Empire nearly broke my jaw. This was a first 0_o

20. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Almost done painting. One wall is apple-green and the other ones are white. Staring at the green wall gives me a headache. huh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.