1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you call it?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Silvery, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was just wondering (thanks to Stephen Fry) what you call people from various countries and what is correct or, at least, non-offensive.
    Americans get called Yanks, Native Americans get called Red Indians, Chinese ger called Chinks...so what is correct for you?

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I just call everybody wankers. Simple, and efficient.

starfox64, ChickenIsGood and Silvery like this.
  3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wow, I didn't realise you'd ever been to England! :lol:

4. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I thought it was an Irish expression. Then again, if it originated in NI, establishing whom it belongs to will undoubtedly cause a flame war and result in moving the thread to ALS. ;)

Myself, I try to address people's nationalities in their own languages (sometimes using obsolete names for the countries to get even more pretentious :D) - will not do it if not absolutely sure of the pronunciation, though.

5. Silvery

Media:
    What's the correct way to refer to Polish people? Because I'm guessing 'damn immigrants' isn't right :lol:

6. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

To tell you the truth, I have been wondering myself. I believe 'Pole' is the most neutral and not frightfully formal. ;) 'They took our jobs' should be fine, too... :shake:

7. Silvery

Media:
    What's Polish for Polish?

8. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

In genus femininum it's 'Polka', genus masculinum - 'Polak'. However, since the anglicized homonym for the latter, 'polack' is a derogatory term, the original word should not be used to avoid confusion.

I hesitated to bring this up before, but 'tis probably the only ethnic slur that makes me go berserk. Not because of the negative connotations (I have heard many stories about Polish immigrants and seen some of their behaviours myself, saying 'I was not impressed' would be an euphemism), but because of the fact that a word describing our national identity had been turned into a derogatory term... due to behaviour of some who decided to seek employment overseas. Then again... I am not that touchy, and saying 'invasion' in front of me is not risky at all! :D

9. Silvery

Media:
    Cool, does this mean we can call you Dotty as well? :lol:

10. Runescarred Gems: 10/31

Tehehehehe! It does seem that the name is taken. :D

11. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I just thought of myself as English til i moved to Northern Ireland, now apparently because I'm not catholic I'm British. If i was catholic I'd be irish, despite living in exactly the same place. Very confusing. As to what people from Poland are called, we just call them polish

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Canadians = Canucks

13. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Philippines... Filipino/Filipina or Pilipino/Pilipina or Pinoy/Pinay.

Filipino/Filipina are the formal way of addressing us. The term Filipino is also used to refer to our language. An alternative term for our language is "Tagalog".

Pilipino and Pilipina are local spellings.

Pinoy and pinay are more casual terms and are acceptable if not spelled with a capital first letter.

14. Silvery

Media:
    Wow! That's a lot to remember. Would anyone get offended if you used one of the wrong words? Like pinoy instead of Filipino (if you got the context confused)?

15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    A mate of mine refers to Americans as Septics.

Disciple of The Watch likes this.
  16. Silvery

Media:
    :lol: That's fabulous! Rob refers to America as The Colon-ies

17. nior Gems: 24/31

Not really. Perhaps some of those hard@ss politicians might... it's really hard to understand them anyway. But I doubt most Filipinos would be offended as we are proud to call ourselves Pinoys (male) or Pinays (female). But they might be surprise (in a good way) that you know to call them that.

18. Silvery

Media:
    How about if you mistakenly said Pinoy when refering to a woman?

19. nior Gems: 24/31

These terms are not exactly rigid. Filipino, Pilipino and Pinoy may be used to refer to males or both genders. Some may correct you to use the "a"-word to refer to the female gender but it's not really something like calling a man "miss" or a woman "mister".

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Is it not Polska?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.