1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So much for 82-0

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Oct 27, 2010.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not sure that anyone cares, but the Miami Heat and their "Big 3" made their debut last night and were pwned by the Celtics. First time in my memory I can recall actually rooting for the Celtics.

Anyway, I figured these guys would take a bit to gel, but the Celtics just gave the league a blueprint on how to deal with the Heat.

I'd love to see another Laker-Celtic final this year.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, unless that blueprint relies on something other than Wade and Bosh to go a combined 6 of 25 from the floor [edit] correction - they were actually 7 of 27, but I think my larger point still stands [/edit], I don't know how much help it will be. LeBron shot right around 50%, but Wade and Bosh were terrible. (I will concede that Wade basically took the preseason off, so there may be some rust he needs to knock off.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The blueprint is be physical with them. Especially Bosh, who is much more of a finesse player than a power player.

Let the assorted pieces try to shoot from the outside and pound the ball in the middle on offense.

4. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Celtics blueprint showed how weak Heat is beside their three superstars. Udonis Haslem and maybe Eddie House the only players that can compete against better teams - I can't wait when Joel Anthony has to go against Dwight Howard. If one (or two) of the Big 3 struggles, Heat will definitely be in trouble. In this game their team offense was lousy as well.. Rondo had more assists than Heat :) . They'll be a lot better team after 20+ games though.

Houston looked pretty sharp against Lakers.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Let's not put too much emphasis in game one of an 82-game season. Teams grow over the course of the season, but some more than others. When you bring in players from other teams, they need time to gel. The Lakers and Celtics are bringing back very similar rosters from last year, and their core players have played together for years. They are better prepared for the start of the season. Also bear in mind that the Celtics have one of the best defenses in the league. Let's see how they are playing in January before jumping to conclusions.

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The Heat don't have any talented interior defenders (I love Haslem, yet he is a couple inches too short, and well maybe James could be if he was positioned there), they don't have any post-up threats and they don't seem to have much chemistry yet (James 6 TO's, Wade 5, etc).

That being said, once they gel a bit, the offensive ability will tear teams up.

At the same time, both Wade and James are slashers and I don't think they will compliment each other as much as they believe.

7. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

For a moment there I thought 82-0 was the final score of some very lopsided ball game. I'm really really just out of touch with NBA, I mean I only know James and Wade from the 'big 3'.

8. dmc

Media:
    Well, Miami righted the ship against Philly -- much lesser competition. However, in good news for Celtics haters, the Celtics had a massive letdown against the Cleveland Cavaliers, with no Lebron. Amazing.

(Meanwhile, Blake Griffin looks REALLY good. Just a matter of time until he gets hurt -- Clipper curse dontcha know.)

9. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Philly was a much more suitable opponent for the Heat as the Sixers don't have many quality post players. Although they won, Heat's offense didn't gel overnight. LeBron is averaging 8.5 turnovers after 2 games.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Here's another thing to consider about the Heat-Celtics game. If you didn't know what the final score was, and just looked at the box score, you would have thought the Heat had got run off the floor. They ended up losing by 8 (I think), but that was a one possession game with 2 minutes left. All I'm saying is that a combination of poor play by Bosh and Wade, combined with Boston's always good defense, likely resulted in one of the poorer performances you are going to see from the Heat this year.

I just don't buy that the Heat will struggle every game where one of the Big 3 struggle. As for their interior, I thought Haslem came off the bench. I thought their starting center (and their only true center for that matter) is Ilgauskis (sp?). While he's never been a great player, he's never been terrible either. He's an average defender, and has a decent jump shot for a big guy.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

James or Wade can cary this team against most of the NBA by themselves. Bosh on the other hand is not that type of star. To me, he isn't that great as it is. But as a third, he will shine more as the load will really be carried by LeBron and D-Wade. Teams won't be doubling Bosh if it can free up the other 2 for easy points. Their health late in the season will be the deciding factor though. Wade is injury prone. But, if their healthy come playoff time, watchout Celts and Magic.

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I think that they're lack of interior defense won't be as big of a concern as I thought. If you watched their game against the Magic, the ball did not get inside. That's a team with Dwight Howard, and he was a relative non-factor offensively. The aggression and help of the perimeter defense was very impressive. It really reminds me a lot of my high school team, we started five guards and you can compensate for that with aggressive help defense. James in particular has great close-out speed, and even if he over-commits the help will be there.

That said I'm not rooting for them :p

13. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Wade had a great game, LBJ had a triple double, Bosh played well and bench contributed too, but still Miami managed to lose. Bad defense, especially at the last minute of regulation. They just couldn't handle Millsap :)

14. dmc

Media:
    Shame, that. :p

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm so happy right now, Utah has always been my team and this was amazing to watch.

More so because I never liked how soft Boozer could be always wanted Millsap to get more playing time.

Plus Kirilenko played well :p

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Utah is one of the few teams in the NBA that are competitive even though they lack a true superstar. I don't think anyone on that team would qualify as a top-25 player.

17. dmc

Media:
    I think you are forgetting Deron Williams. Along with Rose, Rondo and Chris Paul, you aren't going to find a better point guard.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I would put Deron Williams in the group below those you mentioned. (Also, presumably either Wade or LeBron is playing point.)

I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of a Utah game this year, so maybe I'm under-rating him. At first blush, I wouldn't rank him as a top-25 player.

19. dmc

Media:
    Honestly, I think he's more complete than Rondo (Rondo won't shoot or penetrate at the end of close games -- afraid to shoot and afraid to get fouled and go to the line), more of a current threat than Rose (give Rose two more years though . . . ), and is really neck and neck with Paul.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Like I said, I'm lucky if I've seen more than 5 minutes of Utah this year, so I'm not really in position to make a complete judgement on him - or really any of Utah's players. It's one of the problems of living on the east coast - you're sleeping or getting ready to do so when a lot of the west coast teams are playing. The only west coast team I see with any frequency is the Lakers, because they get primetime slots and a lot of weekend coverage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.