1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who are your favorite athletes?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by ChickenIsGood, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] Reason I'm bringing this up is a friend brought back a memory from my freshman year of high school basketball. The coach was trying to distract us a bit, asked who my favorite basketball player was. Made the free throw while saying Andrei Kirilenko without any hesitation.

(Guess I forgot how to embed a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwI06YzO-j8 )

2003-2006 stat averages: 15.8 points, 7.6 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 3.0 blocks, and 1.7 steals

Not the same player he once was, but I love his feel for the game and how well he uses his long arms (about the only trait we share). One of the most versatile players of the decade and one of three (I believe) players in history to record a 5x5 (which he's done three times). My own playing style was loosely inspired by his, among others.

So all of you, let's hear who some of your favorite athletes are.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Richie McCaw - what a machine. How does this guy keep running for 80 minutes to always be where the ball is?
    Kenenisa Bekele - unbeatable over 5,000m and 10,000m. Watch a YouTube of the kick he puts on in the final lap. Unreal.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would say simply personally, because I like them, or a selection of sports (I'll let you guess the sports)..

Sachin Tendulkar
    Lawrence Dallaglio
    Alex Ovechkin
    Rafael Nadal
    Freddie Flintoff
    Jason Robinson
    Paul Scholes
    Jonny Wilkinson
    Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Richard Hill

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sachin Tendulkar - big yes. What a legend.
    Jason Robinson - let's not go there. You know my thoughts on that ballet dancer.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Dennis Bergkamp

No attitude, professionalism and one of the most skillfull players ever to grace the pitch.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, Dennis was pretty awesome. I also like Edwin van der Sar very much.

There's an other athlete who's name I still mention, but that's more of a lingo-practical utterance, when I face a dreadful conundrum. "What would Brian Boitano do?"

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of the athletes I've seen play:

Willie Mays
    Henry Aaron
    Johnny Bench
    Frank Robinson
    Brooks Robinson
    Roger Staubach (in spite of him playing for Dallas)

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Matthew Le Tissier, and Alan Shearer. Both retired now.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Rawgrim... I love you. Gay sex is on the cards, with posts like that!

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Wayne Gretzky. I am not a big sports fan (primarily because I hate arrogant jocks), but this guy was a gentleman through and through. Skilled, gracious, and totally not full of himself, the guy has such a reputation for being a great human being it's not even funny.

On a similar note, GSP. He's confident, but not a jerk about it. Nothing makes me happier than when he defeats some trash talking douche.

11. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Doug Gilmour. Very skilled two-way center, small guy who could play like a 200-pound power forward. He and the Leafs were great in the early 90's.

Teemu Selänne. Incredible scorer throughout his career. 40 years old and still going strong. Professional in and out of the rink (minor rally accidents don't count :) )

Dirk Nowitzki. I have a thing for big players who can shoot threes, probably because I like to think myself as one.

Jari Litmanen. I've made my share of jokes about his numerous injuries, but he's the best Finnish football player ever. Not the most media friendly player - when he played in Ajax you couldn't tell if he was speaking Dutch or Finnish in an interview.

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Cory Everson... what a body.

13. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    George St-Pierre of the UFC has to be my all-time favorite. Not only is he the best pound-for-pound athlete in his sports, he's also very humble about it. And it's funny to see a guy with these muscle be all shy when interviewed.

In hockey, I have to admit Jarome Iginla and Joe Thornton have always been favorites of mine.

14. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

My favourite would be Paul Flynn. A similar type player to Le Tissier, he lazed about up front producing moments of sheer brilliance and carried his team, until a crop of good youngsters emerged just at the end of his career. Here's his audacious goal to turn around the 2004 Munster final with his team a man down:

Next in Ken McGrath, making a vital catch in the same match. Note how Ken puts his hand up where his opponent is swinging for it with the hurl. Ken has picked up plenty of injuries from his playing style over the years and once cut a cast off his arm so he could play when the doctor refused to. Below it is an example of his scoring ability.

Big Dan was generally a cult figure rather than a great athlete but for a few years he was incredible, picking up a hurler of the year award despite only making the semi finals. Wonderfully off the ball interviews as well. "What went wrong for you last year Dan?" "I was in love." "And you're going well this year?" "Aye, I've given up the women."

Other heroes of the Deise include:
    Tony Browne (still one of the fittest men on the pitch at 37)
    John Mullane (mentallist)
    Brick Walsh

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.