1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows 7 and BG2

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by omnigodly, Nov 8, 2010.

1. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Nevermind, figure it out. To enable the CLUA Console, you can't use the Baldur.ini file in the install directory for windows 7.

Go to, C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/ProgramFiles/Black Isle/etc. and modify the baldur.ini file there. With Windows 7 UAC you won't even be able to save changes to the baldur.ini file in program files.

Hope this helps someone, spent the last 4 hours installing BG2 :(

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Yeah, since Vista, Windows only allow users with admin rights to alter the content of the Program Files folder.

The solution I found was to just install BG2 on another folder. C:bad:BG2 worked just fine for me.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Vista and Windows 7 use compatability files and file protection blanketed over the Program Files folders (particularly the x86 one) which makes installing games there you wish to edit the files a collosal pain in nipples.

Compatability files will show at the top of a folder that uses them on the bar at the top (where it shows to change icons to details etc) in Vista, presumably similar in 7 but not sure yet. (I don't think university has enough space on my account to install BG to check ;))

Another solution, albeit sucky, is to move files you wish to edit to the desktop, edit them, then copy/replace into the original directory.

Or install it in a place which doesn't treat you like you're too juvenile to use your own files.

Also be careful Windows doesn't remove admin rights seemingly at random. There's nothing more irritating than thinking a game has saved when in reality the game doesn't have permission to create the folder!

4. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Well, like I listed above, there's actually an entirely separate folder where the "real" game files are. Those are the game files that are accessed by the game, so if you want to do editting to any game files, that directory is the one you should go to. That's where I found the save game files and edittable baldur.ini file.

NOTE: this is not true for all games, but fortunately, not many of them require you to edit their game files under program files.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.