1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why are clerics so popular?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by mordea, Jul 24, 2010.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Arcane spells, depending on the spell, require use of vocal, somatic (gestures) and material components either for consumption by the energy or a focus for the energy - arcane magic is about drawing together energy and then shaping it into the spell you require.

Divine spells, depending on the spell, can require vocal and somatic components although usually make use of a divine focus, generally the holy symbol they carry with them, if they have no focus they cannot cast spells that require it - divine magic is about channelling energy from the divine that is granted to them in predefined forms, the only alteration they can make to the channelled energy is directing it into positive or negative energy depending on alignment of the patron deity to directly heal or harm themselves or another. While a magi has to weave his spells to an affect - the priest can unravel his spells into their basic essence.

It's the difference between each night a priest picks up an apple, an orange and a lemon and can throw those at enemies, or make them into a juice. A magi reads instructions on how to grow apples, oranges and lemons very quickly and has to remember how to do this in stressful situations.

2. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I presume the non-story reason is because wizards get far more damaging spells than clerics, especially at low levels. Letting them into combat gives them something to do whilst waiting for one of the fighters to get injured enough to need healing. By giving them the armour but not the weapons they can survive but they won't outshine the fighters.

3. KFX Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is it? I never managed to turn anything in IWD2.

4. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I would have to agree somewhat to this, because of what has been said before. If you don't use buffs, then you won't really miss a cleric in your party. If you do, play once with a cleric and once without and you will notice a difference. And any big mistake during a battle could mean a Power Word: Reload, instead of a Raise Dead/Resurrection.

In terms of Turning Undead, I've found only really one place worth using it, yielding quest XP - the rest of time, it is better to simply to just kill those grave-walkers.

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    You need charisma to turn undead (IIRC). It's in the special abilities button :D

6. gorgon82 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

"She's chanelling the power of a God. I'm wresting arcane energies from the fabric of the universe itself. It's completely different." -Raistlin Majere:D:D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.