1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The things you started doing because of RPGs

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Runescarred, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

So... anyone got inspired by the games? Started guitar lessons to become a bard? Learned how to pick locks? Took up fencing? Share your stories, folks :).

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My plans are well underway to become a God. One day ... BOOM ... T2 rules.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have done fencing, lock picking and played instruments, none at the behest of a video game...

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I read Nietzsche because of Baldur's Gate

5. mordea Banned

Sorry mate, but this is a monotheistic society...

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    After playing with swords and other pointed weaponry in BG2, I started playing with (collecting) swords and daggers in RL. In my old house, my computer room had an entire wall covered in daggers...looking back, I should have taken a picture of its awesomeness. :bad:

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I started drawing maps. Casually mostly, while watching TV and such.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I started posting the occasional message on these forums.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I once tried to cast Sanctuary just prior to visiting the women's shower area at the gym.

It did not work out the way I had hoped...

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Of course not. With sanctuary they can still see you and lock the door/cover up. Improved invisibility is what you need.

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "When the priest casts a Sanctuary spell, it causes all of his opponents to ignore his existence as if he is invisible."

"Ignor[ing] his existence as if he is invisible" is pretty much the same thing as being invisible. Except in my case... :(

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Splunge - you shouldn't have gone in naked except for a purple feather boa, no matter how strong the spell is, you CAN'T ignore that . . . :p

13. Splunge

Media:
    Yeah, that might've been the problem. Along with the "click-clack" of my high-heel shoes... :D

14. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I managed to master the stinkcloud spell. On some occasions, it even becomes cloudkill! :D

starfox64 likes this.
  15. Damiarch72 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Picked up the curiosity effect.You know...looking for caps and such in filing cabinets and cubbords.

16. Runescarred Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Malus for wearing high heels: -2 to Move Silently

(see what I did there? :D)

17. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Or maybe your god was so offended by the clashing of colours of your pom-poms and boa that he immediately revoked your right to cast that particular spell.

Maybe Morgoth is right insofar that you should have used arcane arts instead of divine arts. Though, as everyone knows of course, if your high heels were green as well, even the magic surrounding you would have fled away to avoid the imminent collapse of the fabric of this plane as it's very existence would have tried to avoid that particular combination of colours.

If only you'd also worn that blond afro wig, everything would've been ok... If only because everyone's eyes would've jumped out of their skulls from sheer fashion-terror.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I started to write stories, mostly in Dutch.

Some might say I got a bit obsessed with the main character called Merlanni. That I why I took that nick with the picture of the NWN1 game. It came close to the Merlanni in my head.

19. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I go from town to town buying weapons and items that are slightly better (yet far more expensive) than the previous town's.

8people likes this.
  20. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Backpacking and mountain biking. I mean all those crpgs are making me fat and lazy. Not to mention hearing a familiar voice in my head that keeps saying 'You must gather your party before venturing forth.' is starting to become really annoying. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.