1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Christine O'Donnell is, apparently, an idiot

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, Oct 20, 2010.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Not all the Framers at the Constitutinal Convention were lawyers, but they still managed. In fact, Madison never finished the Bar:

Since many of the Framers, who actually crafted the document, were NOT lawyers, your statement appears quite foolish. John Adams was a lawyer, as was Jefferson. But neither attended the Convention. Nevertheless, you should take some time to enlighten yourself regarding Jefferson's thoughts on religion and government. BTW, the Bill of Rights was added after the framing of the orginal document, at the insistance of Thomas J.

Nevertheless, it provided far more information on the subject than you have, despite all your self-proclaimed expertise on the topic. Of course, you just wanted to give us a good "lecture." So what? You could not even disporve Wiki. Try again.

I don't believe there is much chance of that.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Schooling does not automatically equate to competency. There are many members of SP who could tout a serious alphabet soup after their names, but none of them do. We have JD's, MBA's, CPA's (probably with MPA's), PhD's, MA's, MS's, and the occasional MD. There are posters here working toward graduate degrees and those that have been out of graduate school for over fifteen years. We have many posters working toward undergraduate degrees and many who are simply working their asses off to make ends meet. Yet the vast majority treat each other as equals.

That's why I keep coming back.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Montresor and Ragusa like this.
  4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Watch the video, I think Chandos posted it, don't give her credit for looking proud over radio ;)

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Is that so?

The letter to the Danbury Baptists is not a constitutional document but it sheds light on how founding father Jefferson, then president, viewed the establishment clause, since it addresses the acute problems the Danbury Baptists were facing in their state - namely an established religion that discriminated against them. Here is Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists:
    You will note that Jefferson quotes the 1st amendment verbatim (underlined), and provides the interpretation of it. Jefferson's letter is thus an important source for Founder's intent and the interpretation of the establishment clause in the 1st amendment. It is something that carries great weight.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Jefferson being president bears no weight on the matter. Presidents don't get to interpret the Constitution. Being the original author of the amendment in question, however, bears a great deal of weight. Thanks for bringing up that letter. I was unaware of it.

That being said, though, history has proven she's still electable. Happily, history has also proven her election wouldn't be the end of the world.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And everyone keep in mind that the chances of this woman actually winning the election are effectively nil. I don't want to write a thesis on polling and their accuracy (and sometimes lack thereof). Take a look at http://fivethirtyeight.com for that. Suffice it to say, that in every recent poll out there on this election, the margin by which she trails her Democratic oppoent greatly exceeds the number of undecided voters remaining in her state. That is to say that even if every undecided voter decides to vote for her, she'd still lose.

---------- Added 2 hours, 8 minutes and 35 seconds later... ----------

Here's a funny song about Ms. O'Donnel included with a biased article from Huffington. Just scroll down a bit below the title of the article, and the video is embedded. Linky.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I wasn't really posting this thread for the idea that she might win. It was more to stir up the debate on a combination of the dumbing-down of candidates in general (she's just the current poster-child and both parties seem to be chock full of morons) and why the Tea Party, in particular, seems to go for the "just folks" idiocy that she represents.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Khemsa, B.A., M.A., J.D. magna cum laude, whoopdee-doo,
    It seems to me (and forgive me, I'm nowhere near being a lawyer) that it's not so much that statement alone as it is it's conjunction with the fact that only moments earlier she was complaining about a court ruling against a school board that wanted to teach intelligent design, and at about the 7:00 mark of the video, we see this exchange:

Coons: The government shall make no establishment of religion.
    O'Donnell: That's in the First Amendment?

As a candidate claiming to be a champion of constitutional principles, shouldn't one (at least!) know that the establishment clause exists and know what it says before one can even criticize its misinterpretation, let alone condescendingly dismiss an opponent as ignorant of it? Having at least read the thing strikes me as...ida know, kind of important, right?

10. Ragusa

Media:
    You're welcome.

With elaborations from a founder that "religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God" and that there is a "wall of separation between Church & State" in mind, you may now better see why I regard the assertion of America being a 'Christian nation' with such disdain. Legally, there is no basis for that claim.

The assertion that America is a 'Christian Nation', coupled with the denial of the separation of church and state, essentially amounts to making a claim for a role of religion in government, which to the best of my understanding cannot be reconciled with the 1th amendment.

Roy Moore, the judge who put the ten commandments in front of the court house he happened to have been elected into, was expressing just that.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I agree that America is not a Christian nation. The founding fathers made damn sure of that in both the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. People who claim otherwise either just don't know what they're talking about, or are actively trying to undermine our constitution.

I've argued before, and will again, though, that the Ten Commandments have a place in our criminal justice system. That place is as a reminder of where we came from and how we got here. I will also repeat that, alongside the Ten Commandments, I would like to see statues of Aristotle, copies of The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, and a few people from this site. All of these things informed crucial elements of our modern criminal justice system, and we should never forget how we got here.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I would only like to point out that of the Ten Commandments, by my count only two are actually criminal if you break them.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Depends on the interpretation of covet in the 10th commandment, with some scholars suggesting it's more than just desire, but actually acting on the desire, which would undoubtedly overlap with the don't steal and don't commit adultery ones (assuming you're married and your neighbor's wife is as well).

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    True, but about coveting thy neighbor's wife, last I checked, adultery wasn't illegal either.

15. dmc

Media:
    yeah, but coveting his ass would overlap with stealing, dontcha think?

16. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    ... his neighbor's wife's ...? :p

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I covet all your wives' asses.

18. dmc

Media:
    Heh, well then, enough of that. Remember, this was originally about Christine O'Donnell being an ass.

19. Death Rabbit

Media:
    You're right, my apologies.

I covet Christine O'Donnell's ass.

(you can't delete this, it's my birthday)

Triactus likes this.
  20. Ragusa

Media:
    Now, isn't it good I am around? After all, adultery, in about half of the US states, still is a crime - for instance in Wisconsin, South Carolina, Wyoming, Michigan - or Minnestota. From the first article:
    Riiiight.

Besides, happy birthday Death Rabbit; I join you in coveting.

PS: Funny ... Republican Minnesota Sec. of State candidate Severson just said that there is no such thing as separation of church and state. As I said, Christine O'Donnell is hardly alone in her views.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.