1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing as a Bard.

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DarkSpider, Aug 22, 2002.

1. DarkSpider Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I played BG2 before BG1, and enjoyed being a bard more than any other class, for the mix of abilities.

Now, I've got BG1 and ToTSC, and bought BG2:ToB, so now I want to play through from the very beginning to the end, and I thought I'd be a Bard again.

I've quickly discovered that being a bard is HARD in BG1. I've just started, and it's quite difficult. I was curious if anyone had any advice for this class. Other than not being one.

2. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Use bows and stay at the back. Surround yourself with stout companions, preferably including a trap-disarming thief. Fight tactically. Nothing out of the ordinary, but it worked for me.

3. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm also playing a Bard that I plan on taking all the way through! I have DSotSC installed as an extra bonus. Just like Namuras said, fight from the back with magic and bows(I prefer crossbow with bolts of polymorph :) Get a couple fighters for the up front fighting and a cleric or two always helps with healing ;)

4. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Useless (In BG1)...

5. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Though I have not played as a bard from the start on I kept Garick since I met him in Beregost. Equiped with a crossbow (you'll get a very good one later on in the game) and with his magic abilities available he is quite nice.
    When the fighting got rough I let him play on his harp.

Like Namuras said form your party accordingly and you'll be alright.

6. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] I'll have to agree. USE BOWS, and NOTHING else. Bards' hit points are low, and even if you specialize in other weapons, they're still not as good as fighters. Bows seem to be ASTRONOMICALLY more powerful than swords in this game, although BGII certainly changed that...

7. Saruman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Agree...

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Playing a bard isn't fun when you want powergaming. But when you are a true rollplayer, it is really great. A bard is very allround too so it gives your character also many tactical possibilities. Enjoy it!

9. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

whats the best armor for a bard? is there one that you can cast spells and have a good AC at the same time? like in DSotSC...kiera silverstring, her type of armor

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I'm not sure about that because I never played a bard in BG so I'm not sure. I think you can wear up to splint mail. Of course you can't cast spells then but in BG you don't get many spells as bard though. When you still want to be able to cast spells, learn the Armor-spel, this gives yuo 9 hours a day a good AC. With bracers of Dex or Bracers of Defense or a ring of protection you can lower your AC.

[ September 12, 2002, 12:29: Message edited by: Headbanger ]

11. Shiakh Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Good armor AND spellcasting don't go together. Not in BG1. Like the guy said, you should just stay back and do your bardsong; really helps. A lowlevel bard is pretty useless otherwise.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well, at low level you don't have many spells yet so then you can wear a piece of splint mail and forget the spellcasting until you found better equipment and have more hitpoints. However, good armor and casting can go together when you just cast your armor also. The Armor-spell gives you a Armor-bonus of +4 for 9 hours a day and you can cast spells when having cast the armor-spell.

13. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually you could just kill Drizzt (Eazzy lol ;) )
    His mithril chainmail gives you the armour class of full plate and allows spell-casting. I tried this and Garrick could not spell-cast. However I may have had the patch installed. (Not a good idea in BG1 if you want to have fun).

As for getting through the game as a Bard.

Firstly I would suggest not depending on the spell casting ability for magic backup. Magic is not as important in BG1 as some people make out. It is possible to get through the game with just non-magic characters. However, it makes the game much easier and more interesting and if you do include it then do not settle with the Bard's abilities.
    Get a proper mage. The higher level spells can help a bunch in the later stages.

Secondly, with what spells you have try to make as many of them offensive :evil: as possible. It is helpful to have a character dedicated to constantly bombarding the enemy party. The spells may not be powerful enough to destroy them... but it acts as a brilliant casting disruption and in the case of fighters it can often distract them (leading to an extra few hits for your tanks). Plus. Well... every little helps. :help:

Thirdly: Make the most of your Bard's abilities. Do not waste points upgrading your theif's pickpocket points when you have a perfectly good bard. Don't waste identity scrolls and spells before you have tried the Bard's high lore. And for god's sake USE the singing ability.
    I know it sounds obvious but so many people complain about the Bard being **** and they just have him sitting at the back with a bow! :bang:

Finally: Give the character a bow and never let him into direct melee' with anything more powerful than a dieseasd Gibberling. :shame:

14. DarkSpider Gems: 1/31

My current party is my bard, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynaheir.

My bard's main role, other than sniper-ing people with a bow, is to cast sleep spells on things like gnolls, bandits, etc. Since Dynaheir can't cast those, it works out pretty well. Also, frankly, a Magic Missile or Burning Hands is rather pointless at these levels, when my bard has a Long Sword +2 and 16 strength. He may also have a magic bow (can't remember) for those things I don't dare get too close to.

A side note here; ever notice how many creatures in BG1 are more dangerous the farther you are from them? Ankhegs come to mind here; their acid spittle seems a lot more effective than their bite. And those slime things (mustard jellys maybe?) that throw goo are similarly more effective at range than up close. And any enemy with a legitimate bow is a killer.

Also, I try to make good use of the Armor spell. I love this spell. Low-level man's Stoneskin.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.