1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Annah one of Ravel's daughters?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Blothulfur, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Blothulfur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello just joined and thought I would share something that's been puzzling me for the longest time, is Annah one of Ravel's daughters. The reason I ask is that in the witch's maze when she's verbally tearing apart your companion's the tiefling is the only one who is spared despite being the most frightened, also Annah's helpless attraction to the Nameless One coupled with the strange physical reaction when they touch and her being led to find your body in the haunted alley by some power beyond her control which i've never been able to find a reason for. The first reason could of course be dismissed by Ravel showing empathy for a woman who is infatuated by the Nameless One as she herself is (but is that really in her nature), as for the other two I have yet to find an explanation and would welcome your thoughts or theories.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Annah is tormented, she is scared, alone and superstitious. She is adopted by a human with know prior knowledge of her family, probably abandoned, possibly orphaned. As the Nameless One you bear the Symbol of Torment which draws the tormented towards you like a lodestone (Is revealed in the game briefly at various points)

Annah is a tiefling, weird stuff happens around them when they are emotionally charged, such as when making out for the first time! The Aasimar as the celestial equivalents can command the emotions of others with but a word, whilst the tieflings are more constrained by their desires and emotions internally.

Ravel rips into the characters who stand up to her, who criticise, Annah only speaks up out of jealousy and fear of losing the man SHE found, dead or alive! Ravel has also been trapped in the maze since before Annah was born, so she isn't a daughter - or an incarnation. Though there are incarnations of Ravel (The women who she sees through their eyes) in other Infinite Engine games.

3. Blothulfur Gems: 1/31

Good point about the sign of torment on your shoulder, to me that seems to be a little bit of a stretch though I mean there is so much torment in the hive why didn't it draw one of the equally desperate characters who actually frequent or travel through the place (could have something to do with Pharod and NO's deal I suppose, the practical incarnation does seem capable of such).
    As for the age thing was Ravel ever really bound by her maze, I thought it said somewhere that she simply didn't want to be in the world anymore and as you say her incarnations have certainly branched beyond it (love it in IWD 1&2 where you suddenly realize "Oh it's Ravel").
    As for the confrontation I still dont see why Annah gets off so light, one would think Ravel would have more empathy for Grace as a fellow fiend ill used by the planes.
    Still nice to see a different perspective on the story and you make a viable argument.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Difference is Grace has denied she is a fiend, she has 'fallen' like Trias. Grace acts superior as she has 'ascended' from such a lowly being as a chaotic evil soul from a horde of similar. Whilst Ravel has pushed the boundaries of being a Night Hag and all the terror that brings.

Consider the threads in Torment. Pharod wasted his life for an orb which isn't even his, he sends his adoptice daughter to do the same and every ragpicker who seems to have a xaosects chance in mechanus. Belief in the planescape is tangible, the torment from your very own existance took a piece of the plane of shadow and made it into a fortress. The essence of that torment is fused within you, those you interact with *catch* that essence, it rubs off on them, it strikes a chord with them. Annah grew up with it in Pharod, and it drew her to you.

The mark of torment is more than just a symbol, a tattoo, it's a voiceless scream etched onto your very being calling out to those who feel the same.

Ravel never left her maze. It didn't bind her... totally. She found out its secrets, peered out into the world beyond and didn't see a place for her, so she kept to her garden, alone, with her sight for company and the faintest hope, the glimmer that you would remember her, the man she loved and his first murderer.

5. Blothulfur Gems: 1/31

Got to say that is an extremely poetic yet creepy way of explaining it (which fits the game perfectly), sometimes it seems that the Nameless One is a bit part player in the story of the women he has wronged and I always play him with a sense of guilt.
    As for the symbol of Torment it sounds a lot like marriage.

6. findarato Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

This is an interesting thread!
    As stated, Ravel could leave her maze but decided to stay there and have her garden. But she must have left it at some point to have that daughter she has in Kesai. or she met a Cambion as an incarnation, like her appearances under different names.

7. Blothulfur Gems: 1/31

Yeah didn't think of that but then again the daughter of a cambion and a night hag could have a longer lifespan, she might have been around since before Ravel tried her unlock the Cage trick.
    Then again her attitude seems quite young and flighty and she is still in training under mistress Grace so she cant be that experienced, perhaps time marks a near immortal in different ways.

8. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Night Hags are pretty much immortal, like other fiends, Cambions I think were simply stated as "can live indefinitely" in one of the 2e suppliments on the planes.

Kesai-Serris herself says "I did not want to believe that wicked hag may have been my mother. I have lived long, I do not appear to age, and have... disturbing dreams, sometimes."

An Elf of 140 can still be more youthful and flighty than a human of 20, lifespan does tend to curb the mental aging process when excessive ;)

9. Blothulfur Gems: 1/31

Yeah I was thinking much the same thing on the immortals, but I would seriously like to know how Annah was taken in by Pharod because I always get the feeling that there is more to the tiefling than is revealed (hence my original question).
    This game breeds more questions than answers though and fairly much every companion is layered like an onion, I suppose its like the man said with much wisdom comes much sorrow.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.