1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's smarter, a pig or a cat?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shoshino, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
  2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Haven't octopuses recently been observed carrying around sea shells to use as cover/shelter when needed? Actually two of them at a time, iirc.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was under the impression that cats were dumb as bricks and only had normal predatory instincts?

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cats are definitely thick as logs. Nowhere near as clever as dogs; I find it strange that some think so.

5. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    is that based on any evidence barmy?

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never heard anyone except cat owners praise cat intelligence but I have seen some documentaries about smart animals where they mention pigs.

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    A pig could climb out of a wheelie bin.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The evidence of me saying so pal.

Besides, dogs can be taught loads of tricks, loads of commands and orders. When was the last time you saw a cat round in a herd of sheep? I rest my case.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Trainability doesn't necessarily equate intelligence. I'm like a dog -- I can learn all sorts of stuff if someone wants to teach me. I'm very cooperative and all of that canine sort of stuff. My brother is like a cat. He lacks the cooperation gene and only self learns things -- he hated school. He's damn smart, though.

Which kind of leads into my next point. It's an old idea now, but when the idea of multiple intelligences came out it caused quite a stir. There's more than one way to be smart. Spatial intelligence, mathematical intelligence, linguistic intelligence, social intelligence . . . different animal species tend to do well at different sorts of tasks. Evolutionary theory indicates that natural selection has made them more suited for whatever niche they hold in their habitat. Some animals may demonstrate some sweet abilities in certain areas, but overall they can never come close to humanity.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    LKD has it well. Dogs are quite trainable, but they're not stellar at figuring things out for themselves. Every cat I've ever known has figured out that if it bats at the handle to a door the right way, it can turn the knob and open the door. I was shocked the first time I saw a cat do that (I was a small child), but I now consider it expected.

Incidentally, the training difference between cats and dogs isn't even an intelligence issue. It's a personality one. Cats are quite trainable, but you neet to have a stronger will than theirs, as well as some treat they regularly want. Dogs are already bred to want to please you, so simple praise is often enough to train them. I've heard people who own both cats and dogs describe it this way: dogs can be trained, but cats have dignity. :D

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You've never tried Chinese food? I'm stunned...

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

We have a saying over here, "Matalino man ang matsing, matsing pa rin ito." Literally, "Monkeys may be intelligent but they're still monkeys." I believe in that and it's the same with cats and pigs or any animals for that matter. Don't get me, it doesn't mean I hate or have no regards for animals, it's just about the intellectual capacity. I'll change my mind the day I hear some pig say he ran away from the piggery to avoid ending up as chops and bacon.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This argument reminds me of some D&D related arguments we used to have -- does it really matter if a character has a 3 or a 4 intelligence? The argument here is whether cats/dogs/pigs have a 3 or 4 intelligence (more likely a 1 or 2) -- it really doesn't matter which has the 3 and which has the 4, they're all really stupid.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Try telling that to the one with the 4. :)

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Doesn't matter, the one with INT 4 still couldn't understand it. I mean what... did the cat get mad at you when you told him that the pig was more intelligent than him?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  16. nunsbane

nunsbane

Intelligence is an exceedingly slippery concept.

However, from my experience and in my opinion, cats are exceptionally deficient in the intelligence department. Admittedly, I've had limited dealings with pigs (not zero dealings, oddly enough, for a city boy) but my father raised them as a child and young man and told me that pigs could be strikingly intelligent.

It makes sense to me that cats would be unintelligent. Cats are unparalleled as far as physical prowess is concerned. The power, speed, balance, reflexes, 'cutlery' etc. of a cat is top notch in the animal kingdom. Evolution being the conservative force that it is would not provide for a being to be exceedingly intelligent and supremely capable in a physical sense. In short, a cat has no need for intelligence so why would evolution 'grant' it to them? They thrive(are fit to perpetuate) on the merit of their physicality alone.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.