1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Picky Eaters

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by LKD, Sep 13, 2010.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, this article is weird. Has anyone ever heard of someone this GD picky? I understand it in kids (I was picky as hell) but in an adult? To the degree of this woman? Freaking bizarre.

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010
  2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My God, there's a freakin' disorder for everything ... except stupidity ... which appears to be the cause of most of these new disorders.

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't eat fish. It scares the hell out of me. If there is a chance of having fish on my plate then I totally freak. However, When I was about 8 I choked on a fish bone so I think that it's come from there.
    These people who will only eat two or three types of food need serious help!

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'd classify your situation as a phobia, then, Silvery, and it's a valid one to have in that choking is a life threatening deal sometimes. It's the 3 foods only stuff that boggles my mind.

5. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yep, thems are crazies alright!

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'll eat anything so long as it tastes OK. Pickyness gets on my ****. Just get it down ya!

7. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    This is something I don't get. Living with Depression era grandparents, I simply wasn't allowed to be picky. I had to eat three full servings of a food before I could say I didn't like it, but that did not mean I could refuse it if it was that night's dinner.
    The result is that there are very few foods I flat refuse to eat. There are things I will not choose to eat (avocado, Brussels sprouts and lima beans come to mind) but rarely will I cause a scene by refusing to eat it.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I don't eat seafood...period. The reason? I hate that "fishy" taste with a passion. :bang:

In addition to that, I'm fairly picky...but not to *that* extent. :rolleyes:

9. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

On a brief tangent, I dislike it when people label choices as disorders or diseases. Over-eating/under-eating isn't a disease, it's a choice. Eating only three types of food isn't a disorder, it's a choice. I'm not saying any of these things are easy to choose to do, or not to do, but it 'is' still a choice.

The only reason I can see for labeling choices as diseases or disorders is to absolve oneself of guilt. Perhaps to use it as an excuse with family members/friends; people often say "You chose to do drugs, that's your problem." However, it is less common to hear people say, "You chose to over/under-eat, that's your problem." My hypothesis for this is that we do not 'blame' over-eaters or under-eaters because we attribute the word disease or illness to their 'condition.' With a true disease, we would not thing to blame a person. We would not say, "You chose to get cancer, that's your problem."

I'm sure many people will disagree with me, and say it's not simply a choice, but that is my opinion.

10. Dethwynd Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

There are only a couple of things i wont eat, Tapioca (shudder) the little beads just.... ugh... and Jello (i know I know, there is always room for jello) but its just a texture thing it just gets to me.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    My parents were always quite poor, but my mum cooked a dinner that was always healthy and good for you, and if I ever said 'I don't want to eat that', all it meant was that I was going to go hungry. And no way would I be allowed a dessert unless my plate was clean. If you're brought up like that being a fussy eater is something you look down on.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I thought all men liked that "fishy" taste - usually with a passion...

Kitrax likes this.
  13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You're a bad, bad man Aldeth....

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Nah...when they're clean, they don't smell/taste like fish at all. :yum:

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Crabs, shrimps and lobsters don't taste "fishy" do they? How about abalone? I mean, there must be some seafood that you wouldn't mind eating right?

I'm not a picky eater, in fact I have ventured into some exotic foods on my travels. But of course, there are some stuff that I won't eat but these are mostly because they look disgusting or reminds me of something that creeps me out rather than what they taste like.

I do have several friends and colleagues who would not eat vegetables.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

When it comes to kids, I am of the opinion that parents need to pick their battles. If you force feed kids every single night and dinnertime is a time of suffering and misery each and every day, you're going to inflict trauma on the kids -- and yourself! At the same time, you can't let the kid get away with whatever the hell (s)he wants. There must be a balance, with the parents being in control but also respecting the kid's right to an opinion.

My parents were likely a little too lax in this regard with me, but they were of the opinion that I'd eventually grow into certain foods. I was required to take at least a few bites of everything served to me, but I was allowed to substitute similar things -- for example, in a garden salad, I ate the lettuce and the onions and skipped the tomatoes and the cucumber. As long as I had SOME vegetation going into me they were happy.

Mom never cooked something she KNEW I hated just to "teach the little bastard a lesson about who's boss". She had other ways of ensuring that I knew who ran the household. God help me if I expressed my opinion of a particular food in a less-than-respectful manner.

Susipaisti likes this.
  17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My son is 3, and we don't make him eat anything he doesn't like. That having been said, we haven't found many things he doesn't like. Since he eats a balanced diet, and usually eats whatever is for dinner, we don't mind when he doesn't. Maybe we're too lax, but as you said, you pick your battles.

No... I won't go there.

18. Silvery

Media:
    Ashley's the same. He'll eat pretty much whatever you put in front of him. He'll try anything at all so it's not too bad when he doesn't eat something, it tends to be because he really dislikes the taste.
    My step-brat, on the other hand, is one of those kids who won't eat something if she doesn't like the look of it. It's caused some fights with me and Rob as my attitude is 'Try it, if you don't like it I'll make you something else. If you don't try it then you can be hungry'

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'll eat anything except parsnip.

20. mordea Banned

I always wondered why it's OK for adults to have food preferences, but not children? OK, OK, adults pay for the food, but why are children treated like disobedient picky little *peanut butter* simply for not liking a particular food, when *every* adult has a certain food that they do not like. I agree with LKD on this one. Eating should be a pleasurable experience if possible, that's the whole point of cooking food and putting spices/salt in it. If your kid doesn't like brussel sprouts, but is fine with every other vegetable, then there really is no need to go lumping brussel sprouts on them except to show them 'Who is boss'.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.