1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gaming Company Sued for "Addiction."

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The link didn't take me to an article.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The first link worked for me.

I see this as an epic fail in the courtroom. The real precedent I see isn't fast food companies, but drugs. Drugs seem to be allowed to advertize themselves as 'not habit forming' if they don't have any chemically addictive substances in them and the effect is itself not inherently addictive. For example, many sleep aids these days advertize themselves as 'not habit forming'. That all being said, anything can become a habit, and strong habits can become obsessions and, in some cases, even something not entirely unlike addictions. Gaming is just like this. Neither the game itself nor the experience it provides is inherently addictive (as proven by the millions of people who play these games and don't become rabidly obsessed fanatics). This guy probably just has an addictive personality. He could get addicted to gambling, to street racing, to shopping, even to a particular type of cereal. Anything that provides any kind of reward whatsoever has the potential to do this to him.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is truly stupid. Unless he can prove that there are subliminal messages forcing him to play (and why there isn't an army of zombies like him) I don't see how he has case.

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    its the USA... nuff said

7. Dethwynd Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Wow.... 20,000 hours in a 5 year period. That averages out to almost eleven hours a day. (Assuming he played every day for the entire 1825 days of the 5 year period)

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Proof that in the USA, ANYTHING can get to court.

Thanks, USA. You entertain us constantly with **** like this.

9. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Looks like nobody told him about Ragnarok, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Counter Strike, Cabal, and etc. He could have sued more companies. Hehe.

10. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

'Among other things, he alleges he would not have begun playing if he was aware “that he would become addicted to the game."'

BS. He would have played regardless. Everyone knows crack is addictive, yet people still do it. Hell, I've smoked crack before. Not my proudest accomplishment, mind you, but I knew what I was getting into.

11. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

[wishfull thinking]
    Take it easy folks. The judge is actually pretty shrewd dude. He's allowing this to go to court just so that the guy can accrue a few metric tons worth of debt from the legal assistance alone, and THEN forcing him to pay for it all from his very own pockets when it is proven that he's just a lazy idiot.

Either he ends up penniless or commits suicide, both of which I deem as positive outcomes.
    [/wishfull thinking]

12. Dethwynd Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Not that I agree with the actual idea of bringing a lawsuit for addiction but I can kinda see how they could make a case. Every addition, every change in a MMO game is designed to increase the allure or to entice a gamer to play "just one more time." While this may not be such a big deal for most of the gaming population those with addictive personalities can be caught up in a cycle of "Just one more quest" that will never end. While I personally don't see the lawsuit resulting in any fines for the gaming company, there could be ramifications in other areas. There could be a move to diagnose an addictive personality as a disability (Which could lead to even more problems like the current issue) or there could be a move to regulate or restrict who could play the type of game in question or a limit on daily useage. Perhaps I am just paranoid and nothing will come of this but the possibilities are disturbing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.