1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

lots of questions...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Halbarad, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Halbarad Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Does anyone know why the Ironworks Forum is down (or is it just down for me)?? Because I haven't been able to access Ironworks for the past week, and I'm still waiting for email conformation from the Interplay forum I've got a whole page full of questions. But I must say that this forum has the quickest conformation emails I've ever seen, it took about 30 seconds for it to go through. :)
    On to the questions.

1) What's the deal with the Contaminated Iron and the Vials of Mysterious Liquid found in Nashkel Mines? Are they used for anything?

2) This first time I played BG I ran into a female fighter either in the Crossroads or E. of Candlekeep. She challenged my best fighter to a dual, I was never able to beat her before. But now I can't even find her. Anyone ever run into her before?

3) What's up with the commoners standing around all day and scratching their butts? Don't they have anything better to do, or do they just have a bad case of hemroids?

4) Is there a time limit of quests?

5) Why don't people give me the things they say they will? In the map north of Gnoll Stronghold I saved some guy from a bear, in his test box he said "...oh thank you thank you, here take these boots of cold" then he left. I got the xp, but he never gave me the boots? He has the boots (I killed him to make sure), and he said he'd give them to me, but he didn't. This has happened in other places too.

6) I visited The Surgeon and he "Cleansed my Aura" what does this mean?

7) Does anyone have any suggestions on killing Ogre-mages in general? And more specifically, the Ogre-mage in the bottle in Firewine Bridge?

8) Is there any way to see a NPCs resistances? I have a Fire Resis. Ring (+25), it puts the little icon on my NPCs face, but I can't find any where it tells me that he's got +25 fire resis.

9) Is it true that you can destroy things if the killing blow is too hard? My fighter keeps making the bodies explode, and I heard that doing that might destroy magical items.

10) Any suggestions for killing Black Talon Elite? Their Ice Arrows are cutting me up. Do I only run into these guys in Pelvale and the Bandit Camp, or do they show up later?

11) Is there anyway to increase the pathfinding skill of my NPCs? They are so frigging stupid. I never realized that going from point A to point B required you to go from A to point L, back to A, and then on the way to point B get stuck in a stand of trees.

12) Is ther a lot of money in Cloakwoods and BG City (the only places I haven't been)? Because I was told that to recharge wands all you had to do was sell them and then buy them back, and I tried that but the mage in High Hedge (only place that will buy them) wants 20,000 gold. That's like all my money.

13) Does anyone know the probability of getting hit by lightning in the game? Is there some die roll for it or something? Because so far I've been hit 6 times, 3 of them my main char. That last time, it nearly gave me a frickin' heart attack! You're walking through the silent woods... then all of a sudden WHAM!! you're getting fried.

Last question :)
    14) Is there a level 5 or above mage in Cloakwood or BG city? I have Xan right now, and his lack of magic missile, stick cloud, and fireball are really getting annoying.

Thanks a bunch.
    Hal

2. Zorith Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Holly Crap thats a lot of questions. I will try and answer some.
    1. No, they are just there for effect in the game, you can sell the potions though.
    3. No they don't.
    4. No there isn't.
    6. He also heals your party.
    7. Dispel Magic... then wack'em.
    9. No
    10. Fireball
    11. No, but improved in BGII.
    12. Yes you need to use your thief.
    13. Just like in real life, guess your character is just really lucky.
    14. Pick up the halfliing cleric/illionist at the entrance to Baldurs Gate.

3. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1 These may be clues that you must return to ?Officer Vai in the Jovial Jester Inn?. I may not have the correct person listed here. :confused: Check your journal. I can't remember! :confused:
    2 If you already fought her and lost, I believe she disappears for good. I’m not completely sure about that though. :confused:
    3 I think they’re former baseball players. :D
    4 Yes on some of them, no on others.
    5 Either you got hit by a bug, or your inventory is full, and the boots were dropped on the ground. If not, try going to a previous save, make sure your inventory is not full and try killing that bear for him again.
    6 Nothing as far a I could tell. :confused:
    7 Arrows worked for me. Then I just beat on him with swords.
    8 It should show when you click on the Character Record Icon. If it doesn’t, it may be a bug. Scroll through the character information and look for resistances.
    9 That never happened to me. I thought that the exploding bodies was simply a graphic option that can be turned on/off.
    10 I hated those guys with their Ice Arrows and Arrows of Biting. They pepper you with those things. I either used area of affect spells or closed to melee weapon range very quickly. :bang:
    11 What is your path search mode setting? Increasing it helps with the confused wandering, but it takes longer for them to actually move.
    12 Is your reputation low and/or charisma low? That affects reactions and costs. Also, wands are expensive. There’s more gold and magic shops in BG City. :angel:
    13 Ajantis kept getting nailed in my game. I think he had some cursed item or some curse on him. Try going to a Temple and see if the option to have a curse removed is available to you. If so, remove it.
    14 I dual classed Imoen to a Magic User, and kept her as a mage/thief for the remainder of the game. I did that when she hit about 5th level as a thief. You could also use Dynaheir or Edwin.

Welcome to the boards.
    :)

[ August 14, 2002, 19:21: Message edited by: Keraptisdm ]

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ironworks are nasty silly billyswho steal other people's Torment FAQs!!!

5. Halbarad Gems: 1/31

What?

Keraptisdm >
    3. LOL
    5. I tried it both ways (full inventory and then reload and dump first), still didn't work. Normally you get the item even if you have a full inventory, it'll just say: Your party has gained an item. Inventory Full. Item droped on ground. It must just be a bug. :/
    11. Do I change the path search mode setting with the Config exe? How high or low should I put it?
    12. My rep is 18, and my charisma is 16 I think.

Thanks for posting. :)

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ironworks has a history of stealing material from other sites, this one included. They ripped our entire Torment section and posted it as their own, text and all. When I went ballistic they took it down, but still, I'll know them for what they are for as long as they're around.

7. Halbarad Gems: 1/31

I see now. :(

8. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

3. All is revealed on the second floor of the Burning Wizard in Beregost, if you talk to Seth'something. He tells you about Ulcaster and the Firewine Bridge, then opines, "I can't think of anything more tedious than being an adventurer. I find it much more fulfilling to spend the day wandering aimlessly and scratching my arse."

9. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If I remember correctly, you can change the path search nodes in the config.exe Try setting it to 32000, if it isn't there already. BG1's path search was bad, :rolleyes: but has been improved somewhat in BG2 & IWD.
    It's been a while since I played BG1, so please forgive any incorrect statements. For instance Officer Vai collects bandit scalps, not anything with the tainted iron in the Nashkell Mines. Sorry about that one. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.