1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Leliana's Song (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by CelticDream, Jul 7, 2010.

1. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Well, I just finished my playthrough of Leliana's Song. I can honestly say that it was quite enjoyable and replayable. The quests (and there are quite a few) are fun, and are not too hard, but not too easy either. Just like Origins, you have choices in dialogue and how you carry out at least one of the quests, which is why I say it's definitely replayable. With the fact that after you choose a conversation option, Leliana voices your choice with appropriate dialogue, it makes me wish that Origins PC's could do that since you get to choose which voice option you like best. I don't think I went through everything - got a bit caught up in the storyline to check every nook and cranny for one of the quests (and that quest is the one that can give you an item for both Origins and Awakening) - but I'd say it was around 2.5 hours or so of game time. I don't feel as though I wasted a penny and it really fleshes out Leliana's backstory quite a bit - makes me appreciate her more (from a heterosexual female point of view) as both a character and a party member in Origins. Honestly, up until playing this, I found her quite annoying but now I quite like her. After I've replayed it at least one more time, and grab a few more screens, I'll write a more extensive review for our resident pink dragon to post, but I wanted to let you guys know what I thought of it as soon as I finished it. As a side note, some of the party dialogue, especially in the beginning, is quite hilarious. There's one part I especially liked, but I won't spoil it for the rest of you :)

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I felt the game was rushed actually. Finished it in 1 hour. I think i did everything too. As you said though, it had a very fun bit at the beginning, and it does flesh out Leliana quite abit. Still....like all the DLC`s, it could have been more. I didn`t feel cheated after buying this particular one, in any case, so I guess its alot better than most DLC`s so far.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    One hour? :shake:

I'll probably get it though I like this character. I have doubts about replayability... Stand alone DLCs don't work that well after playing them once or twice.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

What item do you get that can be used in DAO and DA Awakening?

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Well...The thread had *no spoilers* on it. So I refuse to give out that infromation!

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Use the spoiler button; this way those of us who want know can look. And those who don't, don't look.

7. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Ok, how did you finish it in one hour? I wasn't taking a whole lot of time figuring out what I was doing, screens were just a quick button push, and I got so lost in the story that when I was finished, I was surprised to see 2.5 hours had passed.

Cara - as far as replayability, like I said, there are different conversation options that could possibly change how some instances go - though of course the main storyline will still have Marjolaine betray Leliana (not a spoiler since we all learn about the betrayal in Origins). I'm excited to get back in and replay it to see where the other conversation choices will lead me. I also like the fact that you have to complete a quest to get the special item for Origins & Awakening, instead of say, Darkspawn Chronicles, where just completing the DLC automatically puts the item into your inventory. I know what the name of the item is, since it's listed along with Leliana's Song in my nice long list of add-ons for the game, but I don't know exactly what it is (can speculate though) since I forgot to try and finish that quest since I basically lost touch with reality as this DLC really brought me into Leliana's backstory. I wasn't thinking "oh, I need to do this & this for the new shiny" but instead "Ooooh, so that's what happened to cause such & such." I won't explain exactly what, since it could be considered a spoiler, but there were a few kinks in the story that made me wonder if the creators of this DLC had paid attention to what Leliana tells the PC as far as what caused Marjolaine's betrayal - otherwise, this one is totally awesome.

Caradhras likes this.
  8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I dont`t know really. I just sat down and played. Regular tempo, I guess. Maybe i missed something?

9. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG] I will be getting this DLC anyway, even if it is short. I just love Leliana. :love:

I'll post my impressions after playing it (hopefully this week end).

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

With this backstory I wonder if Bioware has DLC back stories for the other NPCs in DAO?

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

That would be cool. Most of them would work well too. Except Shale, of course. One about Allistair becoming a gray warden, Wynne when she was abit younger, Sten traveling to Ferelden etc. Would work like a charm.

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Also would generate an additional X amount of money from players. How about putting a DLC or make a full blown expansion of sorts with the back stories for all the NPCs. Save us some money in the process.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Ohh I doubt they would like it if we saved money.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    That wouldn't be good business, now would it? ;)

Downloaded Leliana's Song. The music is really nice.

EDIT: played it. Took me almost three hours (counting reloads and given that I took my time going through things like Codex entries and examining everything just to make sure I wouldn't miss anything). It's a nice blend of hack and slash action and storytelling (rather linear though but that is something that was expected). Worked nicely given that we already know the story. It's a great DLC for players who like Leliana (obviously). I don't think it has much replay value although I will definitely play it again to try different options and see if there are consequences for doing things differently.

I liked the music and the cinematic approach (the panels were a cool addition). The NPCs are interesting and likable although I would have liked them to be more fleshed out. I also would have expected more new areas.

I don't think Leliana looks right though. She doesn't look like she is younger than she is in Origins. That can be changed with the toolset so it's not a real issue.

It's definitely a DLC worth playing if you like her, doesn't bring much to the original game but that was expected.

I did unlock the special item:

It's a special armour that doesn't look different from your average studded leather armour but its characteristics are interesting and the name is quite funny, I'll let you find out for yourself.

Tip for unlocking the item:

Invest in the Deft Hands line since you'll have to unlock chests to get the pieces you need. I had to reload when I found this out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.