1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problem, TOB disk not recognized... kinda

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Llandon, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Hi All!

Well, I decided to play SOA-TOB again, but I've run into a problem that I'm someone here can fix.

I loaded SOA and TOB on my lap top(full install, Windows Vista), installed the patches, and off I went. The game ran GREAT! Up until I finished SOA. After the final battle, when the transition to TOB is suposed to take place I get the following message:

No disk in drive, place expansion CD in drive

Now, the disk in IN the drive, I tried taking it out and putting it back in... not good.

Then I tried running just TOB.... SAME MESSAGE!

Then I tried running SOA/TOB as an Admin. It worked, and TOB works, but my saved games in SOA are not longer showing up.

Any help out there?

Thanks!

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Do you have multiple drives? The game will look for the disk in the drive it was installed from, this counts if you emulate the drive for easier installation as well.

I don't think it can be changed via the baldur.ini file either.

Other than that I guess you could try moving the save games into the admin profile so they are there when you play as admin.

3. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Thank you so much for the reply.

Nope... only one drive.

How can I move the saved games into the Admin profile?

4. IceIceBaby Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Create a temporary folder on your C:bad: drive e.g. C:bad:tempsaves whilst in your normal profile, then copy the contents of your save folder into it. Log into the Admin profile, then copy the save files from the new folder into the BG2 folder.

Simples!

5. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Well... not as simple as it seems. I only have on account... an adm account! It' my computer, no one else uses it. I really don't get this whole admin thing. I am the admin.

I know I must be doing something wrong, because the save folder and character folder do not show up when I open up the Black Isle folder... but I can find them (and copy and paste them) when I open up character viewer.

I'm really confused... obviously.

---------- Added 0 hours, 52 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

Nevermind guys... I came up with a solution that worked. Thanks again for all of your help!

6. IceIceBaby Gems: 1/31

Do a search for "Auto-Save" as you are pretty much guaranteed to have that folder if you play BG2. From there you should be able to locate your save folder.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Could you share your solution in case someone else has this problem?

8. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

sure...
    but I'm not sure it will be of much use.

When I did a search for saved game files, like auto-save, ect nothing came up. When I searched my Black Isle folder the Character folder and the Save folder did not show up. They WERE there, but hidden for some reason. I really don't understand Vista.

Anyway, when I ran the Character Viewer program, the files showed up IN THAT PROGRAM. I copied a few saved game files to my desktop.

I deleted SOA/TOB. Re-installed. And set the program to run as admin.

Then I created a new Save folder (I'm sure there is still one hidden in SOA folder) put that in the SOA folder, then copied the saved games from my desk top to the new folder in SOA. BOOM! There was my saved game file from the end of SOA.

This seems to be a long, drawn out solution to a problem that probably could have been fixed in an easier way... if I knew anything about computers.

9. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Sounds like a compatability file problem then, when you are in a pre-vista game there are options along the top that include "show compatability files" which ensure the game works as normal despite Vista being quirky and different from previous versions of Windows. If you show hidden folders and check the folder for your user account (usually the level up from 'Documents') there is a hidden folder called 'AppData', from there go to 'Local' then 'VirtualStore' - then you can follow the path of whatever older game you have and see what compatability files you have if you have similar problems with other games.

In case you have any other problems like this (Such as enabling the console)
    [​IMG]

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Thanks!

I'm just about finished with TOB...... I may play Icewind Dale as a solo F/M/T again. Hopefully if I run into any problems this fix will help!

11. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Up Your, Bill Gates

Ah, "compatibility files" -- Microsoft's little middle finger to the Vista user.... :mad:

12. attackfighter Gems: 1/31

Thank you for this! I was just having the same problem in importing my character to ToB, but this fixed everything:D

If only I had known about the compatability files sooner, I could've imported my BG1 save into SoA and done a full playthrough of the series:o

Oh well, my BG1 character wasn't too good anyways (I actually tried roleplaying his attributes). Nothing compared to my 11/18/18/18/18/3 mage!:cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.