1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First Time Playing PST (need help)

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Pimpollo, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Pimpollo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm excited to finally play this game and dedicate my time to it, since summer vacation has begun, but my game has this annoying issue whereby every character (npc and my character) can't walk diagonally. All of the npc's look like they are doing the moonwalk. Is this a known issue? I know it may seem like a minor complaint but it's extremely annoying. I'd appreciate a quick response since I'm eager to get this game started. Thanks!

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What operating system are you using and what are your graphical settings?

3. Pimpollo Gems: 1/31

I've actually got it to work properly now, thanks. All I did was fiddle around with the graphical options, switch things on and off and bam npc's were walking diagonally :D I look forward to playing this game and offering my thoughts. My previous experience with these sort of crpgs include Fallout 1 & 2. I decided to play PST next since its attached to Chris Avellone. I loved his character Myron in Fallout 2 so I have high hopes for the characters and companions in this game. After this game I'm not sure whether to dive into the Baldur's Gate series or the Icewind Dale.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The BG series is closer in terms of roleplay but both the BG and IWD series are more combat heavy, BG2 is perhaps the more based on NPC interaction but there are mods for BG1 to bring it to the same level of companionship :)

Have fun with PS:T it's a game I still hold close to my heart and play casually frequently :) Glad you got it working!

5. Pimpollo Gems: 1/31

I'm enjoying the game immensely: the attention to detail, the dialogue, some of the quests are wonderfully twisted, and the setting is very unsettling. My only gripe with the game is that I keep losing my npc's (morte's) inventory whenever he dies. I found that if I revive him at the spot of death I'm able to find his inventory, but if I die and I'm sent back to a starting point (Catacombs) the inventory is lost. Strangely, the only items I find on Morte whenever I revive him is the scalpel. Is this a bug or just a part of the game? [this has occurred twice]

6. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] In the IE games (Infinite Engine, the BG series, the IWD series and PS:T use the same engine with adjustments) if you leave items on the floor too long there is a decay, where items that are 'junk' pretty much disappear after an amount of time. It's not usually instantaneous though.

The scalpel is probably flagged as a quest item, so it won't disappear from him unless you get rid of it.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Don't be a coward hiding behind your party members.

8. Pimpollo Gems: 1/31

I have run into another problem that I've tolerated up until now (it's the only remaining technical problem) and that is nearly every time I point to a large door or whenever a large spell is conducted my game stutters (i.e. frame rate issue). For example, when I revive my fallen npcs the frame rate bogs down when the animation begins. I've tried switching all of the options but no luck. To clarify, not all spells nor objects cause my game to slowdown, just large doors and most spells. I'm running this on Vista btw.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The stuttering may be a modern OS/driver problem. I don't remember having it on my Pentium II when I first played the game ages ago, but then it was there when I replayed the game on XP on a faster computer, and it's still there on my current system with Windows 7. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way round it (short of getting an older computer).

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game for its writing and attention to detail. There's nothing quite like it in these regards :)

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Ich dien ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Is your version of the game 1.0 or 1.1?

11. Pimpollo Gems: 1/31

1.1 single disc version. I once saw a link to a solution that Quin posted on. I believe it wasn't from this site but it said something about running the game in a window which fixed the spell problems. Does anyone know where I could find that? Thanks.

12. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] If you right click on the shortcut for Planescape: Torment and select properties it brings up a window that has a field called "Target"

It will have the pathame in quotemarks. After the quotemarks put a space and -w there, this is the command for the program to run in windowed mode.

so it should look like:

Click okay and use that Shortcut to open the game :)

13. Pimpollo Gems: 1/31

I did what you advised but still no luck. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end, I am at the part where The Transcendent One kills Annah but everytime he does the Fire and Ice my game crashes. It seems I can't continue my game until I get this fix im looking for. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.