1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual Class Thief - Stealth glitched?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by win, Jun 28, 2010.

1. win Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey guys,

When I dual class my thief into a mage/thief, his stealth ability lags every time I activated it. I will click on stealth and he will wait like a minute before he goes into stealth. My stealth is at 100% and this never happened when he was a thief.

Is this a glitch?

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Welcome to the boards Win. Do you by any chance have a script running for that character?

3. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

This thread seems to suggest this happens when you mess around in Gatekeeper. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have found a solution in the other thread either.

4. win Gems: 1/31

the script does not seem to make a difference. tried with and without the script, it still lags.

It does not lag when he is just an ordinary thief just when he is duel as a mage/thief

5. Caradhras

Media:
    That is weird. Have you checked Starfox64's link? Did you use Gatekeeper to edit your character?

It doesn't happen with other characters? Single class thieves and multiclass thieves (like Tiax) work as they should?

I've made many dual classed characters when I used to play BG1 but I never ran into that bug.

Do you have Imoen in your party? You could try and dual class her to see if she is affected by the same bug.

6. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Noah Fence

[​IMG]
    I apologize in advance for essentially asking, "Is your television plugged in?"

1. Is this character "legal" as regards dual-classing rules: human, etc.

2. Is your thief level now higher than your mage level?

3. What mods, if any, do you have installed?

4. Is script set to "default"? "none"?

5. Using a digital watch, try it three times, and please tell us how many seconds it actually takes each time.

7. win Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the replies everyone!

1. Yes. I leveled up imoen and then duel classed her into a conjurer

2. Yes. Imoen Conjurer level 3. Thief level 2.

3. Just the updates nothing else. I did use Gate keeper to change the value of her stealth to test to see if it works better at a higher stealth percentage. makes no difference. Also I used Gate keeper to bring her back from a mage/thief to to a regular thief and the stealth works normally.

4. Default, None, tried them all. scripts makes no difference.

5. Varies around 9-17 seconds lag after trying it 5 times.
    9, 9.4, 15.4, 15.6, 17. Don't know if this helps

Thanks,

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

I did use Gatekeeper, but have the problem without using gate keeper. Imoen is the character that has this problem after I dueled her. I played with Coran and he does not have the problem.

Thanks

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Imoen is a he? :whoa:

Try forcing a conversation with her. Are you using any mods or unofficial patches? Are you using the officiel patches?

9. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Possible Red Flag

[​IMG]
    When you say "just the updates," what's you current version number? Also, do you mean official patch only, or do you also mean you have something like Baldurdash and/or Dudleyville installed?

Honestly, it sounds an awful lot like something from maybe the BG1NPCs mod, since it is only happening with Imoen, but you seem to have already ruled that out. Are you sure you're playing from a totally clean install? Are you using Vista?

10. win Gems: 1/31

Yea just official patches.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 10 seconds later... ----------

Vista. install is legit ofcourse. I only installed the official patches and I am not sure what the version number is.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    Vista is a pain with compatibility files (hidden) so you could try running the game in compatibility mode and run it as administrator (right click and select properties).

Coran is a multiclass character so it actually makes sense that it works with him. You could try making a PC dual class and see how it works, just play a while to level the character up and dual class to see how it plays out (without using Gatekeeper so you could find out if the bug has anything to do with Gatekeeper or if it is an issue with the game itself).

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That shouldn't be necessary as the game is running fine. I seriously doubt it would help considering that I've experienced the problem on my Windows 98SE computer.

I haven't tried to install BG1 on Vista, but I'm considering doing that so I can try either Trilogy or Tutu with the MUCH larger hard drive on my Vista machine.

Anyways, I've only found one solution to this problem. It's more of a work-around.

First copy your saved game from the "save" folder to the "mpsave" folder. Then start the game.

Make a new character that's a clone of your old one. Use the CLUAConsole to cheat in tomes if necessary if you used tomes during the course of the game to exceed the normal maximum rolls.
    Now use the console to give him the same amount of XP that your old character had when you dualed him and level him up.
    Dual him like before.
    Use the console to boost the XP again to where you're old character is now and level up.

Test to see if stealth is working.

If it is, export your character.

Now go to the main menu and load your previous save as a multiplayer game. Kick somebody out, then use the character arbitration to import your newly created character.
    Move all your stuff to the new character and export him again.

Kick out your original character and make a new save.

Exit the game and move that new save to the "save" folder from "mpsave".
    Make a copy of your saved game before trying to use Gatekeeper to give back your Bhaalspawn powers.

You should then be good to go.

At least, I think it was possible to replace charname in the first game, I might be confusing it with Icewind Dale.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You are confusing it ;)

You would have to use a cheat to kick the player out of the party and even then you risk a LOT of bugs from doing it seeing how many scripts and variables are attached to 'Player1' and how that designation is allocated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.