1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Cup 2010 - discussions & random thoughts

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by hannibal555, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm glad both Japan and South Korea won their opening matches.

I was rooting for the U.S as they were the heavy underdog. I hope they make it into the quarterfinals so that the sport garners more attention over there.

Portugal v Ivory Coast at 10pm (over here) so right after my Tuesday kickabout I'm going straight to the bar!

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Heheh, was watching the game yesterday with some friends. Who had a vuvuzela :D Every time the Dutch scored (or the Danish ty) we opened the windows (which are on a busy street) and PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*pass horn to someone else*PPFFFFFPFFFFFFFFFFPPFFFPFFFFFFFFFFF :D:D:D

After the game we went to a public square where people were celebrating and took the horn with us, but we lost it after some english tourist took it from us and stuck it up his *** and then tried to sound the horn. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that Barmy?

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When I went shopping for food yesterday an obnoxious pale and obese boy with a buzz cut and an empty stare, wearing an oversized football trikot, was playing his vuvuzela intermittently, without any apparent stimulus triggering the behaviour.

I would have liked to take it and break it. Considering my mood at the time, probably over his head. I am all for banning vuvuzelas from the planet. Of course, only after banning obnoxious pale and obese boys with a buzz cut and an empty stare.

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    At least Denmark proved we can score goals. Now we only need to score in the opponents' goal. :rolleyes:

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

My 2 cents on todays games;

All whites vs Slovakia.

Have to give it to Slovakia having beat Slovenia and the Czechs in the qualifiers. But who knows, upsets are always a part of the world cup.

Ivory Coast - Portugal

Difficult to predict. Both have skillfull players but never seem to make it far in the tourney. Portugal bombed in the qualifying campaign and if Ronaldo can't perform on his level he is more a hindrance than an asset. Predict a draw here.

Brazil - North Korea

No idea really. Absolute nothing is know about the koreans and Dunga seems to maintain a media blackout. Should be Brazil though but I'm very curious as to in what form.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Eeek.. Nil all at half time. I can't watch. Slovakia should have scored several times by now - plus a few more of the obligatory goalkeeping blunders that have been a feature of this tournament. Come on All Whites!

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    To more completely answer your questoin Nakia, there are four teams in each group. Each team plays the other three teams in their group. The top two teams in each group advance to the second round. The two top teams are the teams with the best win-loss-tie record after playing those three games.

Assuming that England and the US win their other games (and both are favored to do so), they would both finish with identical 2-0-1 records. In the case of identical records, the top team is determined by whichever team scored the most goals in the three games combined.

While the top two teams advance, Barmy is correct when he says there is some advantage in being first rather than second. The first place team in each group will play a second place team from another group. So if you finish 1st as opposed to 2nd, you'll have an easier opponent in the second round.

8. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    France lost! :D Ahem... Mexico won!

Also, as far as game predictions go, clairvoyant octopus is a fun one.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hands down THE WORST team in the World Cup this year. No exhaggeration either. They were frickin' awful!

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The French team is made up of pampered fools (they're treated like freaking rockstars when they're just good at getting into trouble with hookers) and the coach is useless (the man keeps ranting and talking gibberish, it's embarrassing).

I applaud the Mexican victory (just wish the score was even higher). :thumb:

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Didn't Ribery get accused of sleeping with a 15 year old hooker? And the French FA stepped in and stopped him being taken to trial about it until AFTER the world cup? I'm sure I saw something like that. A bit ridiculous if true.

12. Caradhras

Media:
    Totally ridiculous... It's a huge scandal and turned off many people here (who like me won't support those losers).

Consider Thierry Henry's hand and that's the straw that breaks the camel's back...

There's also the fact that the French team stays in a fancy hotel (600 euros a night each). Shameless. But that's not surprising considering the current state of the French political scene (the government is throwing money out of the windows while telling the people they have to pay more taxes and forget about retirement plans).

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The Danish TV commentators thought the French players seemed uninterested in playing for their country, and that it would have been better if the coach had picked a team with lesser names who would have shown some interest in playing for their country at a World Cup. I have to agree. The French may have the better players but the Mexicans had the better team.

14. Caradhras

Media:
    The Danish commentators are right. Too much comfort, too much booze and too much partying. They don't give a damn. That much is true. Besides the coach does a terrible job (he's the one to blame).

The players are just too lazy which isn't surprising when you consider that they've been pampered like movie stars. :rolleyes:

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Every country has more or less pampered playersr, this one is all on Domenech. He has taken good players and turned them horrible. The French effort up to now has been a disgrace, going to be like 02 once again. Heck, they weren't even that good 06 but then they had Zidane who had decided to make one last effort before he quit and it took them to the final.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Um, I don't think New Zealand has any pampered players. Some of them even have to go to work at a real job in between training because they don't get paid to play soccer.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yay, Mexico deservedly beat France!

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And Serbia will wtfpwn Germany :p

19. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]

:p

The octopus has spoken.

Seriously though, they'll either be unthinkably bad or surprisingly good. If they would just play good for a change, I wouldn't mind them losing.

20. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

It will be interesting game. Serbia has to attack and they have the quality to beat Germany. Many Serbian players play (or have played) in Germany and both sides have tough players, hopefully it won't get too dirty. Joachim Löw has a pleasant problem in picking forwards after the last game - almost every forward scored.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.