1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Lawyer Known Best for Losing Capital Cases

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, May 24, 2010.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    So there is this this article on a lawyer known best for losing capital cases:
    According to Scott Horton it appears that Mr. Guerinot represented 2,000 defendants in felony cases in 2007-08, a fact that speaks for itself with respect to the quality of the representation he provided.

Indeed. If the number refers to a single year that would make about 0,64 cases per hour i.e. it means that on average he has 38,4 minutes to prepare for every case, and that includes court appearances* and meeting his clients in jail, if he does that at all, and, of course, billing. Even if it is three times that, the amount of time spent on each case would be exceedingly low. With that case load he doesn't have time for research, or to properly study the files, let alone consult with his clients. That much for zealous defence. It's a travesty.

Horton's conclusion is dire:
    This reminds me of this astounding precedent in Texas where a court ruled that it is sufficient that a lawyer is present at trial; he doesn't need to be awake. This was, fortunately, overturned, but is remarkable nevertheless, in particular in this context.

The question is what the Texas justice system is - a well oiled machine that delivers speedy verdicts and executions, or one that gives due process and a fair trial to everyone. Disturbingly, the answer appears to be that it is the former.

(*assuming he works five days a week that would make iirc 261 workdays in 2009; for he's a busybody lawyer I assume 12hour days)

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Seems as if our lawyers are learning from our health care providers. :p

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have no idea how the legal system works, but if it is anything like the accounting system I would assume he has all sorts of people who do the "work" and he probably just does the courtroom work and/or is the attorney on record.

Still, it is a major advantage to be able to hire your own lawyer as opposed to using the one appointed by the courts.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    TGS,
    you hope that. His record does not inspire confidence. Neither does his shoestring budget website suggest he is heading a larger law firm.

What I found by the way was equally uninspiring: America's most lethal attorney - and that's from 2007.
    Essentially the guy appears to be an undertaker.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... I guess everyone tries to keep the streets safe in their own way....

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I'm surprised he's still practicing at this point. Can't they disbar him if his clients successfully appeal for 'incompetent defense' or whatever enough times?

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'd love to say that incompetent lawyers are disbarred but, at least in California, the way to get yourself disbarred seems to be taking a client's settlement money, sleeping with a client, doing massive amounts of drugs such that your performance is impaired repeatedly (although this usually only leads to a suspension while you get treatment), or actually committing a "real" crime.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    'sleeping with a client'????

Wow, that seems harsh -- so much for my aspirations of being a divorce attorney....

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, that alone doesn't prove much. Most District Attorneys will not even bring charges against a suspect unless they think they have sufficient evidence to convict. It's not like when you're charged with murder that you have a 50-50 chance of being found guilty or not guilty. I have not idea what the exact percentage is, but I imagine the vast majority of of murder trials do, in fact, result in a guilty verdict.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I disagree. His elaborate website answers everything - he obviously spends so much time on developing his site that he has no time left to actually represent clients.

11. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Probably the best method of contacting him is via 'facsilile.'

12. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Was there a male version of 'Legally Blonde' produced that didn't have a happy ending? And if so, is this guy the result?

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The other thing is we're talking about state appointed lawyers. When you're in a public position like that, incompetence is never sufficient reason to terminate a person. Plus, we don't know if he's necessarily incompetent. Maybe he just sucks at what he does. (While subtle, there is a distinction between the two.)

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wait a minute, are you implying that his clients may actually be guilty? :D

15. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I would hate to be a defense attorney. Especially an incompetent one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.