1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some good movie in FR atmosphere or similar?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Baronius, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Could you recommend me some good movie with an atmosphere or world similar to Baldur's Gate, BG2, NWN or like that?

LoTR is no candidate (and I saw it anyway).

So not the so-called usual "fantasy" movies with a few knights, kings and some low-budget monsters, but rather something with a versatile world, similar to Baldur's Gate, Forgotten Realms or D&D... No matter if it's old or new(er).

Long long ago I read somewhere that a D&D movie is under preparation, but haven't heard of it any more.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    There are actually two D&D movies. You may want to watch the first one, it's far from perfect but it's still enjoyable if you don't mind some annoying flaws (Jeremy Irons and Bruce Payne as the bad guys are well rather interesting in an over the top manner). The other D&D movie is really not worth wasting time (unless you're really bored).

I'd suggest In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale as it is watchable (it has an all star cast featuring Jason Statham, Ron Perlman, Ray Liotta, Burt Reynolds, Leelee Sobieski, Kristanna Loken, Claire Forlani and others).

But if you want a really good movie the best is still Conan the Barbarian (the first one) or maybe Willow although it may have aged less gracefully than Conan. But you probably have watched these already.

Can't think of anything else right now.

3. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ahhh... Shrek? Hehehe.

Seriously, I remember a old movie from the mid '80s called Hawk The Slayer with Jack Palance, it's probably crap by today's standard but it definitely fits you criteria.

I don't exactly like it but Eragon also fits the bill.

4. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Dungeons and Dragons with the Wayans brother! Also, Dragonlance. :p

But seriously, I recommend "Jason and the Argonauts" and also, the original "Clash of the Titans". Those are both, and still are, great adventure movies. I second Caradhras post though. "Conan the Barbarian" and "Willow" are also great flicks.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Don't forget "The Beastmaster", "Dragonslayer", "Red Sonja", "Conan the Destroyer", "Excalibur", "The Sword and the Sorcerer", "Krull", "Legend"

Also.. "Labyrinth", "The Neverending Story", "Dragonheart", "The 13th Warrior", "Tristan & Isoulde"

I particularly liked the 13th Warrior.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. Baronius

Wow now I have a list to choose from (I only saw really a few from them, e.g. Willow, but I even might watch it again). Thank you Caradhras, nior, starfox64 and Blades of Vanatar!

7. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Ladyhawke?

8. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] The Dragon Chronicles!

I think it's called that anyway, it's actually rather good.

Also a Knights' Tale while medieval not fantasy is fun to watch.

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Knights of Bloodsteel, Dragonslayer, Bloodrayne, Solomon Kane

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Some of the movies you've listed don't seem to be what Baronius is asking for, i.e. "not the so-called usual "fantasy" movies with a few knights, kings and some low-budget monsters, but rather something with a versatile world" for instance Ladyhawke which I love despite its music is a very formulaic knight and damsel in distress story (but it is very enjoyable nevertheless).

Also I don't know if Rawgrim was being facetious, but I'd suggest staying away from Bloodrayne if you want to enjoy a serious movie as it is one of the worst movies I've ever seen (and trust me on that, it is not a minor feat as I've seen many "bad" movies in my neverending quest for bad movies). You need to have a solid sense of humour to enjoy Bloodrayne (or you can just watch it to see how bad some well recognized and highly praised actors can act under the "proper" circumstances). This says a lot since I've actually recommended In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale which many consider to be really bad but which has some entertainment value and redeeming features despite some noticeable flaws. Bloodrayne is in a totally different league -almost a league of its own, only it is not funny and it seems to take itself quite seriously which defeats the over the top fun of say a movie like Doomsday (an apocalyptical/Mad Max/Escape from NY sort of movie) that makes up for his mediocrity by being self conscious about its (numerous) flaws and thus transcends limitations to reach some sort of greatness in the bad movies category (in other words it's so good at being bad that it becomes great, something that I can't honestly say about Bloodrayne).

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can't help but laugh every time I see this topic -- good movie and FR atmosphere used in the same sentence.... :lol:

13. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

With regards to Bloodrayne and Doomsday, I can't agree more with Caradhras.

This next reco doesn't really fits the description quite accurately but it was a really one movie. It's actually one of my favorites animated films. Flight of the Dragons... that is if you can find it.

14. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ohh Bloodrayne is dreadful, I agree. But I figured i should list it up in any case. It does have 3 vampire hunters and one half-vamp traveling around to kill the badguy.

15. Baronius

Thanks for all the new replies and recommendations.

Moreover, I liked Conan the Destroyer too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.