1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't Wear And Display the American Flag on 5/5? BS!

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, May 6, 2010.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    This is just a crock....

It's censorhip by any definition. If it was a matter of everyday policy, they might could get away with it. But to admit that our flag might "offend" some people on 5/5? That's crap, IMO.

I completely agree with the parents.

Right. And donkeys can fly....

That's just stupid. But feel free to disagree. At least some of us still value self-expression.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179/ns/local_news-san_francisco_bay_area_ca/

Last edited: May 6, 2010
    The Great Snook likes this.
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ridiculous. How is wearing an American flag in America regardless of the day ever disrespecting someone?

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree, the school was wrong. I get their sensitivity in these times, but still a bad call.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As Chandos noted, it's censorship. Historically, Constitutional law considers things printed on T-shirts to be covered by freedom of speech, even though they technically aren't spoken. The only thing that wouldn't be covered under this is if it was considered hate speech. (You could not, for example, wear a shirt that promoted violence against Latinos.) You should be able to wear the American flag though. I agree - it's ridiculous.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I don't understand America's flag-happiness, but the school made a silly decision.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's one thing to be sensitive to a minority group -- or even a majority group -- but this isn't about sensitivity -- it's about political correctness and social control, using White Guilt as a club to control people's behaviour. The school should be ashamed of themselves, and it's only gonna fuel the extreme anti-immigration folks that much more -- I mean, I can see the pamphlet being written now:

"If we keep letting immigrants into the country, soon we won't be allowed to ever display our beloved flag!"

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Somehow I'm wondering why the heck people choose to live in the United States if they can't stand looking at the Stars & Stripes!?! Maybe in that case they are living in the wrong country.

The Great Snook likes this.
  8. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

You took the words right out of my mouth, Montie.

9. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I agree 100%, they came to your country, not the other way around.

If you came to Wales and told a welsh person not to wear Y Ddraig Goch on for example St Georges day, expect to have your teeth rammed down your throat

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    They come for the free benefits. The quickest way to solve any immigration issues is to stop the flow of cash. If they can't work or get government handouts, back to their home country they would go.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How does one get free benefits by working? Presumably if you're working, you're entitled to any related benefits because you've earned them.

Anyway, on topic, I agreee that it's stupid. But can someone please explain to me why Mexicans would be offended by the American flag on Mexican Heritage Day? (I'm not being sacastic here - I'm just not familiar with whatever the issues are.)

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I imagine the offended ones felt the kids wore the American flag clothes on that particular day as a kind of F-you to them (and maybe they did). Since it's a Mexican holiday, most would be wearing Mexican flags etc. But it's not like they were wearing a French flag or something like that...

13. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I agree that the likelihood is that the US flag-wearing students were less interested in making a personal statement of patriotism than in stirring the pot with the Mexican-American students on Cinco de Mayo. Still, their liberty to display the flag or representations of it should not be infringed upon.

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That is a personal statement of patriotism, IMHO. That some people who have come to America are offended by that "statement" makes me cringe. It really should never be a question of either-or, but of the personal freedom that most everyone has come here seeking, the freedom to express his/her own feelings. As far as I'm concerned, the students who wore the AF were making a personal statement in good faith, in support of our country and its freedoms.

15. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    As an individual I'm really against flag waving of any kind but this seems really weird to me. I've lived abroad and as a foreigner you have to respect the "locals" (I even took part in the Toast to the Queen). I don't see why Mexican-American students should be offended (even more so if they're indeed Americans). For the school to endorse such rules is just divisive.

What is wrong with the French flag? From a distance it may look like the New York City flag. ;)

Chandos the Red likes this.
  16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Oh, well Cinco de Mayo is celebrating a defeat of the French at the hands of the outnumbered Mexicans, so I figure displaying a French flag at a Cinco de Mayo celebration would be more insulting than an American flag.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I could see how a Sam Houston t-shirt might have been inappropriate....

Which reminds of a kid who tried to leave the ship in Japan with a "Made in America, Tested in Japan" mushroom cloud t-shirt. I should have let him go....

18. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Thanks BTA, I didn't know that. That reminds me of the old joke about the Frenchman visiting Trafalgar square who goes on and on about the Brits, saying that it is really strange to name a place after a defeat. :p

19. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Students displaying the American Flag should never be punished. The mexican students stated that they would never fly 'their' flag on Independence Day. Why wouldn't they fly their flag on Independence Day. Their flag is the American Flag.

Personally I would like to completely close our borders for a couple years and see how things turn out. I know it will never happen but it could have some good benefits. Additionally if you emmigrate to the US and become a Naturalized Citizen then you are leaving your home country behind and accepting the US as your home country. You should speak the language fluently (reading, writing and speaking). Know our history at least as good as the people born and educated here(which I admit isn't much to know). And finally RESPECT our traditions. Which includes our freedom of speech and expression.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  20. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    I don't care if the kids were doing it as an incendiary action or not, but I'm sorry, if you don't like my flag, you don't need to live in my country. 'Nuff said. I'm not going to tiptoe around people worrying about whether or not an American Flag shirt, bandanna, etc., is going to offend someone else. It's me showing pride in my country and I'll be damned if I'm told I can't wear it on a day that is considered a pride day for another ethnicity. I'm sorry, but does this mean that when it's Dyngus day, I'm not allowed to wear or display the American flag but instead a Polish one? Or on St. Patrick's day, it's all about the Irish? (The green food coloring added to the beer is a fun touch though.) Those two groups of people don't care if others display this country's flag, so why should we let these people, who have already tried to change our national anthem to a Spanish version, tell us when we can and can't display our own country's flag? I don't whine and moan when I see a Mexican flag being flown.

Ok, hopping off high horse now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.