1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who is the best Thief in the game ?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Fergus, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I just completed 2 quests without a thief and am really really sick of traps.
    There weren't this many traps in BG1 were there ? Couldn't have been.
    Anyway I need a thief and I think there are only 4 NPC matching the decription :
    Nalia - I've built her up as a nice mage but thief she is not.
    Yoshimo - Not a bad thief and not a bad fighter but can I do better.
    Jan - Looks to be the best thief but is he any good for anything else ?
    Iomen - not too good a thief ?
    So who should I take ? I think Jan.
    Anyone any more info to help me.

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Arguably Yoshi - But.
    Next is Jan. There are a lot of 'thieves aids' to find or buy to make up for shortcommings. If you really want a great thief - play one.

3. Fergus Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Thanks.
    I want to finish with the character I have started with but dropped my thief to pick up that stupid ranger to do the planar sphere.
    What a mistaka to maka.
    I might try Jan for a while to see if he is any good but your probably right Yoshi is the best thief.

4. mountain-mike Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Jan is an excellent trap finder/remover and lock picker, especially if you concentrate your points in those areas rather than stealth. He's not bad at 'acquiring' items from others too. (You might be able to tell that I'm a Jan-Fan - "Your knees are mine!")

5. FootSoap Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would like to take up Yoshi, but I read on the board that he eventually abandons the party. Does anyone know about that - do you pick him back up later?

6. Fergus Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I smell a spoiler on this topic.

Thanks for your help everyone.
    I've checked the stats on Jan and he is an excellent pickpocket. Better than Yoshi.
    Whereas Yoshi and Jan have the same trap finding and lockpick skills.
    I will try Jan unless he is a complete wimp.

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Nalia is your best bet, or Jan.

The reason for that is both can cast magic, which you can never get enough of and are more useful over all than just a pure thief class. Potions of Thievery will only help better these two when you need it the most.

Syl...

8. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG]
    How can you include Nalia as a "best bet"? She's a good mage, but a TERRIBLE thief, since she dualed at 4th level! Yes, with some magic items she can be a halfway-decent thief, but still not a GOOD thief.

Imoen is slightly better, since she dualed at 6th or 7th level to a mage, but for your money, Jan is the only good thief who will stick with you through thick and thin. Focus his thieving skills on picking locks, detecting traps, and spotting illusions, then have his spells make up for his lack of stealth.

In combat, Jan is not all that, but give him a crossbow and some magical bolts, and he'll do fine. If monsters begin to close on him, have him cast Invisibility and SPLIT.

9. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

All you need in this game is a thief to disarm a trap here and there.

Nalia is perfect for that and has much more power as a mage than Jan does, so you won't see me wasting time on him, that's for sure.

Nalia doesn't need to pick pocket to get quests completed.

Any thief, regardless of trap detection will find it eventually if you take your time and step carefully.

Nalia doesn't need to unlock anything with her skills for she has the Knock spell to do so. She doesn't need to hide in shadows, she has invisibility to do so.

That's why either Nalia or Jan are your best bet and it doesn't really come down to thief abilities, it comes down to over all performance of those thieves listed.

No way would I want a pure thief in BG2 because they're simply useless.

Syl...

10. Elverath Gems: 7/31

Valygar is no stupid ranger. give him celestial fury to dual weild with his family blade and he rocks your ass.

11. Crazy J Gems: 6/31

I had problems with Nalia's thief skills, (or lack of them). Sure, she can find the traps, but she couldn't disarm them, no matter how many times I tried, in Firkraag's dungeon. Even a potion of master thievery couldn't help. Why did they duel her at fourth level, anyway? Seems like a waste!

12. Ganz Gems: 6/31

I have Jan in my party and invested 100% in Detect Illusion skill but he still couldn't detect illusions like mirror image. Has anyone else tried using this skill? Do I have to activate it or something?

One more thing, is this skill better than, say, the spells True Seeing and Oracle? I would like to free up my spell slots, if Detect Illusion can perform the same functions.

13. Fergus Gems: 7/31

I agree with Crazy J.
    I have Nalia as my second mage.
    She isn't a bad mage and not a bad little fighter with 2 swords but as a thief she is complete rubbish.
    She could not find one single trap when I did the planar shere and she got hit by most of them whilst looking and she can't lockpick to save her life.

14. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I found Imoen quite useful actually....wonder why there's all the bad press about her. But Jan and Yoshi are definitely the best thieves around.

15. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Nalia doesn't need to use any lock picks. She has Knock so why even complain about that?

Nalia, no problem with me. Not once have I had trouble with her being unable to locate or disarm a trap. Opening things, yes, but who cares when you she has Knock handy.

Imoen's useless until you get her back and most people have already completed the side quests before going on their way to get her.

Grub, my Half-Orc Barbarian is going to slit her throat once he saves her and make her pay for her stupidity and bugged character.

Hello?! You didn't have magic missile memorized when you left Irenicus' Dungeon and she casted it in plain view. I had all the scrolls, so she didn't use a scroll. Grub dislikes magic you see but puts up with it, but Grub is terrified of magic being casted when there was no way it could have been done. All this running around, trying to build up gold is seriously pissing Grub off and he won't have anymore of it!

Syl...

[This message has been edited by Sylvus Moonbow (edited November 15, 2000).]

16. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

er...Sylvus..maybe you should take a break...

17. Fergus Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Syl chill out dude.
    I don't like to use the Knock spell when you have a thief who should be able to lockpick.
    Nalia is just too low level a thief to use as a thief but she makes an excellent 2nd mage and fighter.
    Syl you've been working too hard, take a break man.

18. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

There's a good point made. You don't need a thief in this game when you have spells such as Knock, one of my own points that thieves are useless in BG2, as they were in BG1 and as they have been in many CRPGs in the past. No company has actually designed a thief like it should be designed. Sneaking around taverns and learning information only a thief could get by talking to them. Getting deals from black market merchants.

All they need now is a spell to disarm traps and volia, thieves no more.

It's great you and everyone else who uses thieves for picking locks, but my whole point was you don't need a thief to do so. All you need is one to disarm traps, thus the only thing that makes them any worth in BG2.

Syl...

19. Gunthar Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Although detect traps and knock work fine, I find it's a waste to memorize them when I can have Jan come in and disarm any trap he can see. It takes up too much memorization when I could be memorizing offensive spells instead. Especialy when you get to an area with 5 or 6 locked chests. The only time Jan actualy used his detect Illusions was against that rogue Rakshasa, when he asked me why there was a woman with a tiger's head selling potions. If only they could implement this sort of thing more it would make for a thief that was much more usefull. I agree partialy with Sylvus but I wouldn't go anywhere without that litle crazy bastard Jan.

20. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sooo - as a thief Nalia's a good mage; except that you've got to use all her 2nd level slots up with knock spells to make up for the fact that she's such a crappy thief?
    I guess I just don't care for Drew Barymore.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.